Holy Calories!

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Ok. Mine is a little different. In addition to the things everyone is saying... McDonald's, full-cal soda, juice, and so forth... ever since I started SERIOUSLY paying attention to calories I've pretty much given up TV. I used to watch 2-4 hours (some days even more) of TV per day!
    About the time my mind set changed to "this food/drink is not worth spending the calories on" it was an easy transition to thinking "but I could burn MORE calories doing this, that, or the other thing rather than watching tv"` In the past week, I've watched MAYBE 2 hours of tv.
    Sadly.... I have no idea what's going on in Salem anymore (Days of our Lives). :blushing:

This is why I have an elliptical trainer, kettle bell, resistance bands and foam roller in front of my TV :) Multi tasking!
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    Ok. Mine is a little different. In addition to the things everyone is saying... McDonald's, full-cal soda, juice, and so forth... ever since I started SERIOUSLY paying attention to calories I've pretty much given up TV. I used to watch 2-4 hours (some days even more) of TV per day!
    About the time my mind set changed to "this food/drink is not worth spending the calories on" it was an easy transition to thinking "but I could burn MORE calories doing this, that, or the other thing rather than watching tv"` In the past week, I've watched MAYBE 2 hours of tv.
    Sadly.... I have no idea what's going on in Salem anymore (Days of our Lives). :blushing:

This is why I have an elliptical trainer, kettle bell, resistance bands and foam roller in front of my TV :) Multi tasking!

That's a fantastic idea!!! Lol I wanna get one of those with a TV on my machine so I could work out whenever where ever and not miss my favorite shows
  • allybtucker
    allybtucker Posts: 91
    Options
    The thing I hate about fast food is that you get so little bang for your buck. If I'm out and about and need lunch, I get a crispy potato soft taco at taco bell, which is 280 calories, my normal amount for a meal. Unfortunately, the volume is about 25% of normal, so I eat it in about 30 seconds, and am ready for more. Once it hits bottom, I feel relatively full, but nothing satisfies like a giant bowl of broccoli or spaghetti squash!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    I have given up nothing. I just eat less of it.
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Rileysowner- that's a great way to go and I'm so glad it works for you!! Keep it up almost vat your goal! :)

Ally- Iagree I always feel hungry after I eat but later once it hits the bottom I'm full and definately done lol.
  • lrm130
    lrm130 Posts: 4
    Options
    I gave up fast food. The calories in fast food are insane and disgusting. I am losing weight on that alone. Basically gave up all junk food, anything deep fried/battered, no more sugary sodas... gave up alcohol a year ago which helps a ton. Every now and then I will have a sandwich from Subway but always a healthy option with tons of veggies. :) I haven't had fast food in a month and I really hope I still continue to lose weight. :)
  • RichGebs
    Options
    I gave up fast food. The calories in fast food are insane and disgusting. I am losing weight on that alone. Basically gave up all junk food, anything deep fried/battered, no more sugary sodas... gave up alcohol a year ago which helps a ton. Every now and then I will have a sandwich from Subway but always a healthy option with tons of veggies. :) I haven't had fast food in a month and I really hope I still continue to lose weight. :)

Way to go!! That's great that you gave up that junk food and that you are losing weight :) Keep it up girl!!
  • jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    Im cutting out chocolate as much as poss, was so addicted think im getting withdrawal headaches!

Also every time we go out to eat I am choosing the most healthy thing I can find eg in Harverser am having the frid chicken with chips and sweetcorn and then switching the chips for mash to save another 210 calories.

switching all drinks for water and cutting back on the big white bread sanwiches with loads of mayo for things like soup etc for lunch :)
  • jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    7553734.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sorry just testing my ticker!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I gave up the following (and have in very low moderation. Maybe once a month?)
    FAST FOOD! Specifically french fries. Mind you I am Diabetic.
    Subway. Only when I really can afford those carbs. Though I do my own scooping) Seriously. They are just not good for you, no matter what Jared says.
    Junk food.
    sandwiches of all kind

What I do instead?
    Home made flat bread pizzas
    Polo loco chicken al carbon tacos
    strawberries and whipped cream
  • lexrobin2
    lexrobin2 Posts: 33
    Options
    fast food definately was an eye opener after logging it and seeing just how many calories and SODIUM was jampacked in them. i try not to cut out any food i want, i just do portion control, but CHIPS are such a waste of calories too! a handful of chips takes a whole workout to burn, and who only has a handful?? so, im not buying chips for the house anymore. logging has been such a aid in losing weight.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I gave up Facebook (Mafia Wars....!!!!) ..... didn't plan to....

But now that I exercise at home after work, by the time I'm finsihed I don't have time to sit & play Mafia Wars...

The little time I do have left is all given to MFP.....

omg.... a new addiction.... :embarassed:
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    I want to improve but want to keep my life balanced. I believe that if I try to quit something I like, there will be higher chances for temptation and regression, and weight-loss / fitness will not be permanent. Rather, MODERATION and WATCHING WHAT GOES IN is the key.

Having said that, somethings are a strict no-no, if there is no value add to my body:
    1. Sugar - in any form added to food. No sugar directly for me. (Sweets in very very moderation. C'mon I am from India :smile: )
    2. Soda - gone. not even diet one.
    3. Processed Cheese - done with it.

All the best everyone...
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have replaced fast food with homecooked versions of the same thing except made with healthy ingredients and little salt. For instance I make turkey burgers and sweet potato fries....I dip the fries in plain Greek yogurt. Instead of McDonald's apple pie I eat apples w cinnamon sprinkled on top. I make my own tacos and pizza too. I've noticed when I go out I want my food instead and sometimes bring my own stuff:))
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating fast food as well... There is a restaurant that offer quick healthy meals in my area: Zoe's Kitchen. I love it.

that's good to know. there is one close to where i am and i've always wanted to try it. what kind of healthy food do they have?
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options

But now that I exercise at home after work, by the time I'm finsihed I don't have time to sit & play Mafia Wars...

Lol!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I gave up Facebook Family Feud!!! So funny....spent hours doing that and no time exercising.....CRAZY!!!
  • nagaisgich
    nagaisgich Posts: 20
    Options
    I have given up potatoes. So two of my favorite things, chips and french fries, are now just a salty oily memory.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Lol!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I gave up Facebook Family Feud!!! So funny....spent hours doing that and no time exercising.....CRAZY!!!

Seriously.....! I've got 1500 'mafia friends'..... and they've all been sending me messages.... "where are you?", "are you ok?", "why aren't you playing?"..... lol.....

:smile:
  • meshellw
    meshellw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also took notice to the calories in the fast food places...If I have to eat there I choose a grilled chicken wrap with no dressing and a unsweetened ice tea. Its better than skipping a meal. But I ALWAYS check calories before I order anything. I try and keep an apple or something in the car for when I get hungry.....
  • RichGebs
    Options
    I also took notice to the calories in the fast food places...If I have to eat there I choose a grilled chicken wrap with no dressing and a unsweetened ice tea. Its better than skipping a meal. But I ALWAYS check calories before I order anything. I try and keep an apple or something in the car for when I get hungry.....

I couldn't believe the calories in that either!! And grilledchicken has become my best friend haha