Fasting

Options
Does anybody have any experience with fasting to lose weight. I have done some research on intermittent fasting. Which is fasting one day then not another day. Or Also like fasting for a week. So does anybody have any experience with this?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There are two fasting groups on here, intermittent and 5:2.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Some research I've read says that intermittent fasting is beneficial for men, but not always beneficial for women and may be bad for them. There isn't a lot of study on that though. So, if you go that route, just see how it works for you.

Personally, I skip breakfast so I am essentially intermittent fasting, but that is because I prefer bigger lunch/dinner and don't really care for breakfast. Do I get a benefit over eating breakfast and the same total number of calories? I don't know, either way I'm losing weight. However, I do know that by skipping breakfast I tend to eat less in the day and have to work to get close to my calorie goal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I used to fast for weight control, but not on any type of schedule. When my jeans got tight, I'd sometimes just not eat anything the next day.
  • positivepolli
    positivepolli Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are two fasting groups on here, intermittent and 5:2.
    Thank you!
  • positivepolli
    Options
    Some research I've read says that intermittent fasting is beneficial for men, but not always beneficial for women and may be bad for them. There isn't a lot of study on that though. So, if you go that route, just see how it works for you.

Personally, I skip breakfast so I am essentially intermittent fasting, but that is because I prefer bigger lunch/dinner and don't really care for breakfast. Do I get a benefit over eating breakfast and the same total number of calories? I don't know, either way I'm losing weight. However, I do know that by skipping breakfast I tend to eat less in the day and have to work to get close to my calorie goal.
    Thank you that's is helpful :)
  • positivepolli
    Options
    When I was younger I used to fast for weight control, but not on any type of schedule. When my jeans got tight, I'd sometimes just not eat anything the next day.
    that's how I feel I want to be until I lose everything lol I know its a process but I'm so impatient

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Your body does not store excess amino acids. If you do not consume them in regular intervals, you could be risking muscle loss. That's the theory, anyway. I haven't researched any actual studies on the matter. I just prefer to make sure I get a steady stream of protein. If you are going to fast and are concerned about muscle loss, you may want to research that further.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here are a few groups.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

It's all about sticking to it. It's easier for me to (strictly) diet 2 days a week.....and then eat maintenance the other 5. The problem some people run into with 5:2 is the non-fast days can turn into free-for-alls. It won't suit everyone.
  • positivepolli
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Your body does not store excess amino acids. If you do not consume them in regular intervals, you could be risking muscle loss. That's the theory, anyway. I haven't researched any actual studies on the matter. I just prefer to make sure I get a steady stream of protein. If you are going to fast and are concerned about muscle loss, you may want to research that further.
    thank you I had no idea :)

• positivepolli
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Here are a few groups.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

It's all about sticking to it. It's easier for me to (strictly) diet 2 days a week.....and then eat maintenance the other 5. The problem some people run into with 5:2 is the non-fast days can turn into free-for-alls. It won't suit everyone.
    Thanks I appreciate it
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have any experience with fasting to lose weight. I have done some research on intermittent fasting. Which is fasting one day then not another day. Or Also like fasting for a week. So does anybody have any experience with this?

No sure if it has a name but I seem to lose best when I do not eat after 5 PM being on a typical Day schedule.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about caloric deficit?
  • positivepolli
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Have you thought about caloric deficit?

Yes I know this sounds stupid but I just want to wake up fit lol I know its a process but like ugh it takes forever! lol
  • positivepolli
    Options

No sure if it has a name but I seem to lose best when I do not eat after 5 PM being on a typical Day schedule.
    I'll look into it :) thanks

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Fasting, if done properly (and not as a polite word for 'starving') isn't going to help you lose any faster than calorie counting. It's not a magic wand. It's a tool that some people find helps control calories. It still comes down to those calories, and you still have to meet your minimum calories to remain in good health while losing.

PS: 'fasting' "for like a week" is starving.