Roller Skating?

I have just recently started roller skating and even invested in some awesome Riedell quads. I knew I would burn some calories due to the sweat rolling off of me but dang! 450 calories in 1 hour and i stayed for the 2 hour session once! woot!! anyone else skate or even do derby? also, iv been doing basic exercises with my skates on (weigh like 10 pounds) like squats and lunges, bridges, etc. i just wanted to share this awesomeness and see if anyone else here has the same hobby??

Replies

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    I do inline skating. Yep its an awesome exercise and so much fun. Burns just as much as running but comes so much easier to me. Plus less impact on knees etc. Keep it up!
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Skating is the best...and what a great workout. :smiley: I used to do flat track derby...loved it! Good luck and have fun with the skating!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    I do roller derby :) It's a great cardio exercise AND it's fun :D
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    I do! I love it! My all time favourite exercise! My skates are busted now, though... need to figure out a way to fix them or invest in some awesome new ones. I had been planning to buy some long distance skates, but I haven't budgetted for it yet :disappointed:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I Inline Skate 10 miles at a time 2X a week. I <3 Inline Skating. :)
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    I love roller skating! I'm still a rink only kind of girl, and don't make it out nearly as often as I want to. I did buy my own skates, so I'm just looking for some flat places to bust them out where I won't kill myself.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    I used to play derby a couple years back, I wish all the time I had a heart rate monitor back then to know how many calories a single practice burned!

All the (intentional) falls and getting back up again immediately, barrel rolls, jumps.. Jeepers, I'm sure it was a sh** ton. :D
  • Chara462
    Chara462 Posts: 3 Member
    I play too! This summer marks the beginning of my 8th year.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    I do inline skating. Yep its an awesome exercise and so much fun. Burns just as much as running but comes so much easier to me. Plus less impact on knees etc. Keep it up!

Actually, jogging or running burns more than rollerblading. If your doing the same pace rollerblading as running, rollerblading burns about 200 calories less. It's because your gliding more than a constant flow. You would have to roller blade at a faster pace or about 20 minutes longer to burn the same amount. I'm an avid runner but also love rollerblading as well.