Cleanses

Options
Hi, first post on here in awhile! Any way, I am wondering what everyone's take on cleanses are? More importantly isagenix. I wanted to mix 5:2 with it, doing the cleanses to help flush my body out on the fasting days, but will I be wasting my money? Should I just fast and not have the cleanses? I already have one shake(meal replacement) a day, 3-7 days a week depending on how my nutrition intake has been, and if I'm busy ect.
Thanks for answering!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi, first post on here in awhile! Any way, I am wondering what everyone's take on cleanses are? More importantly isagenix. I wanted to mix 5:2 with it, doing the cleanses to help flush my body out on the fasting days, but will I be wasting my money? Should I just fast and not have the cleanses? I already have one shake(meal replacement) a day, 3-7 days a week depending on how my nutrition intake has been, and if I'm busy ect.
    Thanks for answering!

They're a waste of money and time, and they're 100% unnecessary. There is not need to "clean" you body out, as it does that all by itself.

If you are trying to lose weight, eat real food at a reasonable calorie deficit. Weighing your food really helps too, and if you exercise, eat only 50 - 75% of your calories back.

Fasting is done for specific purposes only--sometimes spiritual and other times because that type of eating plan helps a person restrict calories better (intermittent fasting)- but it's not a good idea to do it because you think it's the secret to weight loss.

Good luck. :)
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I second SLLRUNNER.
  • FearlessEquestrian
    FearlessEquestrian Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know all about 5:2, I used to do it, and lost quite a bit. Thanks for that info on the cleansing. I know plenty of combacks that isagenix people would say to the fact it's not needed, but I'm starting to feel that it is a bit of a waste of money.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know all about 5:2, I used to do it, and lost quite a bit. Thanks for that info on the cleansing. I know plenty of combacks that isagenix people would say to the fact it's not needed, but I'm starting to feel that it is a bit of a waste of money.

Yup, because saying that makes them money :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yup, because saying that makes them money :)

QFT.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are for gullible people who need to clean out their wallets.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I cringe anytime anyone I'm speaking to mentions cleansing/detoxing. If it's free and makes you feel good, go ahead. If not, I'll give you a cleansing plan for half the price.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately fell into the Isagenix woo last summer...spent hundreds of dollars to lose 12 lbs in 2 months, gained double that back within 2 months of stopping their program. It made me feel sick as a dog the whole time I was on it, they kept telling me it was "normal" and to wait it out. Not worth the money if you ask me
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to "clean" from your body?

If you are trying to lose weight save your money and eat at a deficit. Your body will naturally "cleanse" itself without your help. If cleansing is something that interest you because other people are recommending it, ask yourself if those people have a reason to suggest it to you, for example they are trying to sell you something.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I have a better "cleanse" that doesn't cost anything extra. It is the 3 "F" cleanse. Make sure you are getting enough Fat, Fiber, and Fluids on a daily basis and your body's natural cleansing systems (the liver, kidneys, bowels) will do their job efficiently.

• FearlessEquestrian
    FearlessEquestrian Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yea haha over the cleansing now. One of my Facebook friends constantly posts about isagenix, and how it has helped her. Not with losing weight, but being healthy. Since buying the shakes, I've heard some pretty bad things others have mentioned but have decided, oh I will wait it out, I will love it soon. No. If the program makes you sick or you can't stand the taste you aren't living!

Thankfully MFP makes eating at a calorie deficit easy, and if I mess up (I have a binge eating disorder) following 5:2 really helps to even it all out.

Thanks for the input guys! Helped me realize it is a waste of money.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Isogenix swept through my company and everybody and their brother was trying it out or singing the praises of their "super secret can't post the name expensive as all get out nutrition system". Many many of them lost around 30lbs the first month. ALL of them gained it back, plus some. I do intermittent fasting. It works for me to get my calorie deficit and I get the "cleanse effect" benefit which is basically just giving your guts a break from digestion. No secret, no gimmick, no money spent. In fact I save money because I do my intermittent fasting while I'm at work, so I save money because I don't pay for food out.