• Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    about a pound a week
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    about a pound a week
    Than yes you can lose at 1200 because your tdee is 1500. The issue becomes logging accuracy. Since its a small deficit there is less room for error.

Do you use a food scale?
  • Harleyb87
    Options
    I dont need one because I barely eat meat unless its tuna or portioned chicken. I measure everything and count things out for serving though.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I dont need one because I barely eat meat unless its tuna or portioned chicken. I measure everything and count things out for serving though.
    You can easily under estimate calories on any food, especially fruits, veggies nuts pasta etc. Knowing you dont use a food scale, you are probably eating more than you think and that means your tdee is probably higher than you think.

Also, take into consideration the average person under estimates calories by 400 per day, you tdee could be 1900. And you could be eating around 1400.

• Harleyb87
    Options
    I highly doubt it I'm extremely careful. I don't really even eat nuts I don't eat chips or hardly anything carb based that you can just grab from a bag. I really don't have anything in my entire apartment that isn't portioned out. Ill give you a sample of what I eat almost everyday. Banana for breakfast, one cup of green beans steamed with vinegar and a little bit of salt and a can of tuna with one tsp of low fat mayo for lunch. Dinner is usually 2 portioned trimmed chicken breast fillets over a bed of lettuce on tsp of oil vinegar and salt. For snacks Ill have a cup of grapes or a couple pieces of watermelon or steamed spinach or a cup of cottage cheese. Ill have about 3 snacks a day. The only thing I have that's processed for the most part would be a fiber bar that's anywhere from 90 calories to 140 calories and the only variation with breakfast would be 2 eggs one egg white and 2 pieces of bacon with all the fat drained out.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    timtakel wrote: »
    I eat 800kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.
    Please eat more. Unless you're under the direct care of a trained medical professional, what you're doing might cause you long term harm that will take years to recover from. (#LFMF: 4 surgeries, anemia, brittle bones, 3 plates, 40+ screws, gall stones, etc)

• psuLemon
    Options
    I am just telling you how the studies have suggested. And I can also tell you there are tons of threads on here of people realizing how far they were off when they bought a $20 scale. Whether this applies to you, we wont know unless you did a comparison
  • Harleyb87
    Options
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I eat 800-900kcal and walk at least 15.000 Steps a day that's ~12km. I'm happy, not hangry or hungry. I pay attention to my nutrients, which is not always easy.

This will cause the majority or at least a large % of your weight loss to come from lean muscle, not the fat you are probably looking at losing.
  • erickirb
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think its a matter of opinion its more what you eat if your having 900 calories of crap than yes your going to be very unhealthy but you can eat 900 calories of veggies and lean protein and not only be full but feel great

Not quite, no way to get adequate protein, fat, and vitamins and minerals on 900 cals. It is very hard to do with 1200 cals, as all your food would have to be nutrient dense (no room for empty calories), so doing it on less would be nearly impossible without supplementation
  • erickirb
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I am just telling you how the studies have suggested. And I can also tell you there are tons of threads on here of people realizing how far they were off when they bought a $20 scale. Whether this applies to you, we wont know unless you did a comparison

I concur. Using measuring cups or eyeballing can be 10-50% off what you are really eating.
  • szeeesz
    szeeesz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    szeeesz wrote: »
    I get irrationally angry when someone mentions starvation mode - guess what, I've been doing 1000kcals per day on average for more than 2 months and I am nowhere near the verge of death... I finally found the eating pattern that works for me and I feel satiated (I could feel satiated on even less calories if I paid more attention and ate better, I just don't want to yet but I'm not saying I don't plan to) and I don't eliminate any food completely! Yes with the macros it can be quite hard but not impossible at all.
    If I felt that my health was damaged I would up my intake, but that is not the case.
    I think everyone should experience with what works for them and not just stick to a general number.

Sounds like your getting confused between different things?

Your angry at the mention of starvation mode because you eat less than 1200 and manage to work your macros.

But starvation mode isn't about macros, it's about eating too little and some how maintaining or even gaining weight. Some sort of magic, cause we're all aware of those starving morbidly obese people from around the world, right?
    I am angry at the fact that too many people throw around the term mindlessly and therefore some people genuinely fear that if they eat 1195 kcals they will enter starvation mode but if they eat 1205, it is magically all okay! Let's keep 1200 kcals as a recommendation or a guideline not as an absolute number which cannot be questioned by any means.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Sorry ... you sound like you are suffering from anorexia. This condition distorts the way the sufferer experiences the world. There is no way you can hit your macros and not be burning enormous amounts of lead body mass as well as fat on 800 calories a day.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I concur. Using measuring cups or eyeballing can be 10-50% off what you are really eating.

This is totally correct. reseach has shown people are crap at judging volume and weight by just looking at it.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Wow, this has brought all the "I eat next to nothing and am FINE" people out of the woodwork. You may be fine now, even in a couple of months but at some point you won't be fine, you'll be very very unfine. There's a good reason 1200 is the absolute minimum recommended for a female, even a pretty petite one and it's based on SCIENCE. I really hope these people do fall off the wagon pretty quickly because the alternative is pretty scary.
  • szeeesz
    Options
    I get irrationally angry when someone mentions starvation mode - guess what, I've been doing 1000kcals per day on average for more than 2 months and I am nowhere near the verge of death... I finally found the eating pattern that works for me and I feel satiated (I could feel satiated on even less calories if I paid more attention and ate better, I just don't want to yet but I'm not saying I don't plan to) and I don't eliminate any food completely! Yes with the macros it can be quite hard but not impossible at all.
    If I felt that my health was damaged I would up my intake, but that is not the case.
    I think everyone should experience with what works for them and not just stick to a general number.

I guess I would have to ask how are you measuing your health? Are you getting frequent blood work? Have you had a body composition analysis?

The whole starvation mode is overblown but the majority of people will not be able to meet macro and micro requirements at that level which will generally cause long term issues. Now those issues coule be increase muscle loss or increased adaptive thermogenesis. The big issue with these is it makes it harder to maintain your weight as you will have a coresponding decrease in BMR/RMR and more importantly TDEE. Its one of many factors of why so many people gain more weight than lost on "diets".
    Yes I've been getting quite a lot of blood work done recently and they are absolutely perfect.
    And I wanted to convey the same as what I highlighted in your message in bold.

• szeeesz
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

This right here is what we call "hangry" it is when you have hunger causing irrational anger.

There is an easy fix to this problem however, its called, wait for it.... Eat more!!!

With only 9 lbs to lose you should have a weekly goal set to lose 0.5lbs/week, that way I bet you would get more than 1200 cals, and avoid being hangry, and "starvation mode"
    I've just eaten when I posted this, but thanks for the diagnosis ;) so this means that whenever something small/not that relevant annoys me I am always hangry! At least I know it now! I will go ahead and double my intake and I will be the most tolerant person in the world then...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Attempted rationalization of what, if actually happening, is unhealthy behavior.
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7/8 and currently 222, 140 is my target (started weight loss at 293! On a different app)
    I have set 2lb per week loss and its suggests 1192 or something like that. I fiddled with my % as I wanted to up my protein . I don't really want to go lower than 1200. So I won't. I know it's not much but it's possible for the app to suggest it