Salt

Options
Morning all,

Has anyone else had problems feeling unwell after working out due to low salt? It's absolutely awful!

I don't normally have any problems unless I'm doing a particularly long run and since I realised what the problem was a few years ago, I've always used energy drinks and been fine...until this morning. I felt horrible and it took me completely by surprise as I hadn't run very far this morning (although the gym was hot and looking back, I did sweat a fair bit throughout my session). I felt fine straight after my run and but after a couple of hours I started feeling really weak and sick. Had a packet of salt and vinegar crisps (not the most healthy option, but was feeling desperate and options are limited in my work cafe) and almost immediately felt better.

I've looked back at my diary and while yesterday I had a fair bit of salt in my diet, the last few days have been fairly low. I'm just really confused! i was just wondering whether any of you guys had
ever had this or any knowledge about it?

Thanks

P x

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. I am very mindful of this now. When it is very hot and humid I drink Gatorade instead of water when I run.

When I was in the Army in basic training, we were reminded daily to get enough salt. We even had salt tablets that we carried with us in case someone did not heed the warning and got sick.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga 3-4 times a week. Many of the instructors there recommend pink Himalayan salt to avoid cramping during class.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You can throw in a pitch of salt into your water, it will save you the calories.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fab thanks, will definitely try some salt in some water (I might buy some to keep in my drawer at work) and also watch my salt intake generally to make sure I'm getting enough.

Funny, a while back, all you ever heard was how terrible salt was for you, but not getting enough is pretty dreadful too!

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I do hot yoga 3-4 times a week. Many of the instructors there recommend pink Himalayan salt to avoid cramping during class.

A tip for relieving a muscle cramp; put a pinch of iodized salt in your mouth and allow to dissolve. By the time the salt is dissolved the cramp will be gone.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Funny, a while back, all you ever heard was how terrible salt was for you, but not getting enough is pretty dreadful too!

I think the problem is that people take things to extremes. The human body naturally contains salt; we need it for normal functioning. But like everything else moderation is important. That means being mindful of too much OR too little.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I think the problem is that people take things to extremes. The human body naturally contains salt; we need it for normal functioning. But like everything else moderation is important. That means being mindful of too much OR too little.

That's very true. There are people who treat fat like it's evil too and try to wipe that out.

• Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A lack of sodium in the body if possible for causing those symptoms but I doubt it's the cause. You may have simply ran out of energy.. Had you eaten core you prior to training? The body may have simply been depleted of glycogen (energy). Symptoms also match those of dehydration. Also, you just pushed your body to its limit with some steady state cardio and didn't think to replenish the burned energy? The body has its limitations.. You can't run a car on empty and expect it to be fine.
    Back to the sodium. Unless you extremely clean I guarantee you are getting enough salt from the food you are eating. In fact you are more than likely over your recommended intake