How long does food keep fresh for? (weekly prepping)

Options
chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
I am seeing a lot of good ideas for cooking on sunday for the work week but I am always paranoid about food poisioning and how long good stays fresh. Can you give me an idea on how long you can store prepped food in the fridge, "googling" has a variety of different answers.

eg chopped veggies
cooked chicken
cooked meat (beef, lamb etc)

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can freeze the cooked meat in portioned baggies and they last about 2-3 months. Otherwise, use them within 4 days in the fridge
  • Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I have been pre cooking meals for a long time as I am extremely lazy. Generally will cook Sunday and ensure everything is consumed by The end of Thursday. That has been applicable for all meats, veg, rice
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is what I have noticed:
    Meats that I grill on Sunday usually last through dinner on Wednesday before they start to taste and smell a little off. At least to me.
    Produce that I cut will only last a couple of days, but if it's something like berries or baby carrots I can prep for at least 4 days. Just don't wash the berries until the day you plan on eating them, they can mold very quickly.
    The exception is apples. If you cut them and put them in a bag with a squeeze of lemon juice they have lasted 4 days for me before they start to go bad.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    great information thank you. Guess would be better to freeze meals to keep fresher longer.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I will put Monday - Wednesday meals in the fridge and Thursday - Friday in the freezer :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I batch cook to freeze. One pot meals can go directly to small containers, meatballs, nuggets, mini muffin tin dishes, burgers, and burritos I flash freeze (directly on a metal cookie sheet, then transfer to a bag when frozen), and sauces either go in small mason jars or in ice cube trays (to transfer to a freezer bag when frozen).
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I usually prep for 5 days at a time in the refrigerator and make sure they're well reheated when it's time to eat. Never had a problem.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I have been pre cooking meals for a long time as I am extremely lazy. Generally will cook Sunday and ensure everything is consumed by The end of Thursday. That has been applicable for all meats, veg, rice

This is exactly what I do.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I find chicken breast lasts a lot longer if it's heavily spiced and cut into smaller chunks before cooking.