I cant even jog 3 miles what a joke

Options
I went jogging today twice this week. the first time I was really self consious today it was better I jogged more than the last time. I could barely jog 3 miles I had to keep stopping but I did not stop I walked.
How long did it take you to jog 3 miles it feels like forever. I am doing this for boxing my coach told me to jog to get my stamina

Replies

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You are being hard on yourself for not being able to do something right off that most people have to build up to! (Both for fitness reasons and to prevent injury).

It took me ten weeks to build up to jogging about 3 miles, perhaps a bit less distance than that, even. And I started in fairly good cardio condition from regular dancing, and was not at all overweight.

I felt great about how I progressed.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    your boxing coach is right! I had a fight in december. Figured that running wise, i only needed to do 15 minutes really, as total ring time would be 12 minutes max. I made up time with the rope. But i was wrong. I really needed to do more road work!

But remember, very few people are able to just go out and run 3 miles! Run/walk to begin with is fine, and build up to it. I would assume that you already have a decent base level of fitness from boxing circuits, so it shouldn't take you more than a few weeks to get up to 5km.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you already had the ability to jog three miles without pause, it's likely that your boxing coach wouldn't have felt the pressing need to send you out to improve your stamina.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Try using a program like C25K, but since you are already fairly fit you can probably start in week 3 or 4?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It took me around 3 months to be able to jog 3 miles without stopping. And even then it was very slow.
    csman49 wrote: »
    your boxing coach is right! I had a fight in december. Figured that running wise, i only needed to do 15 minutes really, as total ring time would be 12 minutes max. I made up time with the rope. But i was wrong. I really needed to do more road work!

But remember, very few people are able to just go out and run 3 miles! Run/walk to begin with is fine, and build up to it. I would assume that you already have a decent base level of fitness from boxing circuits, so it shouldn't take you more than a few weeks to get up to 5km.

This. I would guess that the majority of the population at large cannot go out and run even 1 mile without an adrenaline-driven reason to do so. It took me a bit over 3 months to run 3 miles straight without walking breaks. I was overweight and out of shape when I started out. I'm not sure where you are, fitness-wise.

• sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere , try jumping rope like rocky ;-).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't jog 10 feet, so you're up on me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    If you already had the ability to jog three miles without pause, it's likely that your boxing coach wouldn't have felt the pressing need to send you out to improve your stamina.

This.

Record the time you did 3 miles in, in a few weeks you'll be able to do it quicker!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You are being hard on yourself for not being able to do something right off that most people have to build up to! (Both for fitness reasons and to prevent injury).

It took me ten weeks to build up to jogging about 3 miles, perhaps a bit less distance than that, even. And I started in fairly good cardio condition from regular dancing, and was not at all overweight.

THIS. I have mild asthma and just janky joints. I can hardly jog/walk a single mile without feeling like my lungs are going to burst. It's good that you wanna push yourself, but the important thing is that you DID it, so go you! :D
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options

thank u
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

iv never jogged 3 miles in my life my cardio is poor I can lift but conditioning is poor
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months to get up to two miles, then I had to stop and now I'm back to less than a mile. Don't shame yourself for where you're at now, just get out there and run.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It took me around 3 months to be able to jog 3 miles without stopping. And even then it was very slow.

This. I would guess that the majority of the population at large cannot go out and run even 1 mile without an adrenaline-driven reason to do so. It took me a bit over 3 months to run 3 miles straight without walking breaks. I was overweight and out of shape when I started out. I'm not sure where you are, fitness-wise.

my fitness is poor I lift weights in the gym I train as a bodybuilder but I love boxing also I sparred couple times and my condition was poor so I was told to run and jog get that stamina better
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

This.

Record the time you did 3 miles in, in a few weeks you'll be able to do it quicker!

iv done that today it took me 52 minutes to do 3 miles so next time I know
  • MsWeightlift
    MsWeightlift Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Running was definitely a huge challenge for me, but don't expect to be so well right off the bat! It took me about 4 weeks to run comfortably for 3 miles. Hard to say, but enjoy the process and think of how far you've come! Most people aren't putting the effort you've put in so far.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere , try jumping rope like rocky ;-).

I do that in the gym its really good way to warm up I would do 5 rounds of skipping 3 minutes
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just going out and running 3 miles is not wise. Even if you can get through the miles, as a beginner, the toll on your body is too great. Your cardiovascular system adapts much faster than your musculoskeletal system. If you don't build up slowly, you are at risk for minor injuries such as shin splints or even major injuries like fractures.

Running is a LOT of pounding on the body. Our bodies can take it, but we must build a solid base or risk getting injured.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

THIS. I have mild asthma and just janky joints. I can hardly jog/walk a single mile without feeling like my lungs are going to burst. It's good that you wanna push yourself, but the important thing is that you DID it, so go you! :D
    Thank you I pushed myself today I am a very self consious person I dont like going out lol it may sound weird but I have condition SLI specific langauge impairment my school therapist said its hard for me to go to new areas and stuff but I dont care what anyone says I know I can do things I will continue to go outside my comfort zone and push
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to run one mile, and another month to run three miles. Couch to 5k is awesome.

Now that I've been running about 4.5 years, I realized I much prefer running with some walk intervals. It doesn't have much effect on my overall pace and makes the activity more enjoyable.
  • kyrah702
    kyrah702 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why not drop in to a running clinic to get some face-to-face tailored advice for how to build up your stamina jogging? They'll be able to tell you about your running form(to prevent injury) and which weeks you could be seeing your milestones at.

Good luck!