What foods have you replaced? What have you eliminated?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm always puzzled by those who say they've given up "nothing". Maybe I had a horrible diet compared to others, but I will admit to "giving up" lots of things:

- Caramel Bugles
    - Swiss Cake Rolls
    - Sugar soda
    - Cinnabons
    - Little Debbies
    - McDoubles

along with many other things. Not because I forced myself to "give them up", but because they're not worth the calories to me. I don't occasionally go and get Swiss Cake Rolls from the gas station just so I can say that I didn't give them up. There are other foods that I used to eat frequently - Kwik Trip doughnuts come to mind - that I still do eat, but much less frequently than before. Maybe a few every six months instead of 6-12 per week.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm always puzzled by those who say they've given up "nothing". Maybe I had a horrible diet compared to others, but I will admit to "giving up" lots of things:
    The issue with my diet was volume much more so than content. The donuts weren't the issue, the six donuts were the issue. The ice cream wasn't the issue, the heaping bowl of ice cream was the issue. The pizza wasn't the issue, the entire pizza at a sitting was the issue. And so on.

Even full fat mayo -- the one thing I consciously avoid because low fat serves the same purpose indistinguishably for my purposes -- isn't something I'd turn down on principle, it's just not something that's worth the calories anymore.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Regular soda, and that's about it. Everything else in moderation, though usually less frequently than I used to eat them.
  • maayan98
    maayan98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eliminated fast food, and generally trying to cook as much as I can from scratch.
    Also reduced the amount of red wine,allowing myself only once a week as opposed to almost every day... I do live in Cape Town, where wine is cheaper than tap water,so that's not easy.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Things I've completely eliminated:
    All Soda, diet and regular
    Sweet tea (It's like cocaine to us Southerners)
    Fried foods

Things I've dramatically decreased:
    Pasta
    Red meat
    Sweets
    Bread
    Fast food
    Unhealthy snacks (chips, cookies, etc)

I know you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose weight, but I cut those things out because 1.) some of them are trigger foods for me, meaning they trigger overeating and 2.) just for overall better health, because drinking 5 glasses of sweet tea a day just can't be good lol.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Not as in 'never' eat, but foods you no longer consider part of your everyday eating plan.

I've replaced..
    soda, milk & juice with water
    half/half with heavy cream
    cereal with eggs

& eliminated..
    cake, pastry, bread, buns, cookies, chips & crackers
    sugar/sweetener in coffee

Wow. Pretty much the same items but gourmet japanese teas instead of water.

add: for almond milk:

1 cup almond milk (unsweetened. I use Califia brand)
    1/4 cup chia seeds
    2 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1/8 tsp cardamon.

Mix thoroughly and chill 1/2 hour to make no-cook chia pudding as a substitute for breakfast cereal. Why bother?

300 cals
    8 g protein
    18 g fiber

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Replaced:

Soda with water mostly.
    Coffee with lots of cream and sugar with black coffee, two sugars.
    Margarine with real butter.

Cut out:

Bagels
    Muffins
    Juice

The things I cut out, I did because they just weren't worth the calories, IMO. It's not like I'll never eat them again, but they aren't the day to day things they were.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Eliminated: nothing.

Shopping list replaced:
    cereal for eggs, english muffin for bacon, bread for couscous or rice, granola bars for beef jerky and fruit, fake meat products for actual meat, chips for more salad ingredients, sometimes cookies for dates or watermelon or trail mix (sometimes we just enjoy our cookies).
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything. I've reduced or replaced the following MOST of the time:

Use salsa instead of salad dressing
    chocolate covered protein bar for dessert instead of a piece of chocolate (to up my protein intake for the same amount of sweetness)
    limit and weigh only 1 tb of peanut butter instead of 2
    Usually add more veggies to dinner and limit or don't eat the rice/pasta
    Generally limit buying food at work. 99% of the time I only eat what I pack from home.
    Rarely eat bagels or cereal--prefer oatmeal or greek yogurt

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    @DeguelloTex and @flyingtanuki : Thanks for the input: that makes sense.

My dietary habits were somewhat different from yours. One of my biggest changes in habits was to stop buying food to eat in the car on the way to and from work. I was a classic "secret eater" - hiding receipts, throwing away fast food bags before I got home, buying food with cash so there wasn't a paper trail, etc.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    None. I eat whatever I want. I just try to make better choices or make them fit. Instead of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which can easily run 400 calories or more, I make a PB+J with PB2, sugar free jelly, and 35 calorie bread: 120 calories. Hamburger? Lean ground beef and a sandwich thin: ~200 calories. Taco? Lean ground beef, 2% shredded cheese, and low carb tortilla: ~200 calories. Ice cream? Fat free/sugar free: 140 calories. Chocolate milk? Unsweetened almond milk and sugar free chocolate syrup: 45 calories.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    @DeguelloTex and @flyingtanuki : Thanks for the input: that makes sense.

My dietary habits were somewhat different from yours. One of my biggest changes in habits was to stop buying food to eat in the car on the way to and from work. I was a classic "secret eater" - hiding receipts, throwing away fast food bags before I got home, buying food with cash so there wasn't a paper trail, etc.
    I'm not gonna lie: I don't go to Whataburger nearly as often as I used to. That was my go-to "OMG traffic was so bad and I'm starving and I don't feel like cooking" 2500+ calorie bomb. So I go less often, and usually get unsweet tea instead of a huge Dr Pepper, but, oh yes, I still go.

• Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything, I just eat less of certain things and more of others.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have dichted some stuff like :

soda
    packaged juices
    food super sugary and super salty

For the rest ,, I've looked for better options :

bread - whole grain bread
    rice - brown rice ( except for sushi,that is,but I eat sushi every..I don't even know anymore )
    chocolate - chocolate with 80% or more Cacao
    pasta - whole wheat pasta

Cut down on the alcochol greatly, now it's 1-2 beers at most on saturday. and maybe.

Never really liked candies or cookies or stuff like that so... I'd have a serving of vegan ice cream once a month for example..but there's none and I couldn't make it, it turned awful so yeah I'm good with that.

• TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I limit my bread intake to once or twice a week just because too much bread makes me feel overstuffed. Haven't eliminated any foods just use smaller portions and make healthier choices.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have not ditched anything except for what I had to do for medical reasons. My medical condition is very food sensitive so I now have a long list of what I can't have. As such, I wasn't going to just cut anything else out! Not when my "safe" list is already a lot shorter then it used to be (though it is longer then when I was first diagnosed as treatment has worked).

I do eat less fried foods, packaged foods, and things like that but that is because it can be harder to fit in the calories. No other reason. I find myself roasting a bunch of vegetables instead of making a box of parmesan butter pasta because then I can eat more.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Replaced - nothing
    Eliminated - appx 800 calories a day
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    No complete elimination, but I've drastically minimized soda and most grains (the primary exception being rice).