I want to lose 100 pounds in 6 months

Options

Replies

• taylorstege431
    taylorstege431 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    One hundred pounds is probably too hard a goal for six months. I did know someone who was able to do that when he got job walking for ten hours straight to check parking meters. He did keep it off after that job.

I think for exercise choose something you like. Usually, I swim all summer and lose some weight and then I go back to work and it is the slow regain throughout the year, despite going one or two days a week.

This year, I have drafted my kids into the exercise plan. We will be doing six one hour stretches of swimming all through the seasonal work that I do. We have a schedule and I can depend on one of the three saying they're coming with me.

So that's what I'd suggest for exercise. Just pick something you like. For example, there are kickboxing classes, aquafit, and yoga classes pretty much everywhere.

When losing weight, you should also make sure to keep your fat grams consistent. If you refuse to eat fat, it can wreck your metabolism and can harm your gall bladder. But use good fats like olive oil or a half of an avocado or canola oil. The human body needs fat. Also, if you reduce it too low, you end up hungry all the time.

If you're hungry a lot, one food to try is going to the bulk section and getting soy nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds as well as a modest amount of dried fruit. Then, mix this together and add it to yogurt or just munch on it. It is very filling and calorie dense.

As you get going on exercise, you might need to add in some protein powder like whey protein.

Good luck.

I can walk a few miles per day. I haven't lately because I have bad blisters. I walked 6 miles the other day and it was white easy for me. I mix exercise with diet too. No soda, only water. Really healthy meals and low carbs and sugar. That should help along with the exercise I get
  • taylorstege431
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    One hundred pounds is probably too hard a goal for six months. I did know someone who was able to do that when he got job walking for ten hours straight to check parking meters. He did keep it off after that job.

I think for exercise choose something you like. Usually, I swim all summer and lose some weight and then I go back to work and it is the slow regain throughout the year, despite going one or two days a week.

This year, I have drafted my kids into the exercise plan. We will be doing six one hour stretches of swimming all through the seasonal work that I do. We have a schedule and I can depend on one of the three saying they're coming with me.

So that's what I'd suggest for exercise. Just pick something you like. For example, there are kickboxing classes, aquafit, and yoga classes pretty much everywhere.

When losing weight, you should also make sure to keep your fat grams consistent. If you refuse to eat fat, it can wreck your metabolism and can harm your gall bladder. But use good fats like olive oil or a half of an avocado or canola oil. The human body needs fat. Also, if you reduce it too low, you end up hungry all the time.

If you're hungry a lot, one food to try is going to the bulk section and getting soy nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds as well as a modest amount of dried fruit. Then, mix this together and add it to yogurt or just munch on it. It is very filling and calorie dense.

As you get going on exercise, you might need to add in some protein powder like whey protein.

Good luck.

I can walk a few miles per day. I haven't lately because I have bad blisters. I walked 6 miles the other day and it was white easy for me. I mix exercise with diet too. No soda, only water. Really healthy meals and low carbs and sugar. That should help along with the exercise I get
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As others have said, your goal is too aggressive. 2 pounds a week, maybe 3, will work for you.

In addition, are you breastfeeding your babies? If so, you're going to need to consume much more to keep your supply up. Minimum calorie intake for women is suggested at 1200, and if you're being 100% accurate with your logging (i.e. using a food scale for all foods/measuring cups for all liquids), then you're undereating.
  • taylorstege431
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As others have said, your goal is too aggressive. 2 pounds a week, maybe 3, will work for you.

In addition, are you breastfeeding your babies? If so, you're going to need to consume much more to keep your supply up. Minimum calorie intake for women is suggested at 1200, and if you're being 100% accurate with your logging (i.e. using a food scale for all foods/measuring cups for all liquids), then you're undereating.

No I don't breast feed at all :) I'm really over weight so losing more than 2 pounds a week is quite easy for me

• taylorstege431
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No I don't breast feed at all :) I'm really over weight so losing more than 2 pounds a week is quite easy for me

• Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    OP, admittedly, I only read the first few responses and scanned the rest, but I'm not sure you're getting this... It seems what you're saying is you should lose more than 2 pounds a week because you CAN. That it's easy for you. It's doable. The question isn't if it's easy or doable, it's SHOULD you? IMHO, you should set your MFP goals to no more than 2 pounds a week and make sure you meet your daily nutrition goals. Some weeks you will lose more, some less, some not at all. I know you're in a hurry, but you need to look at this as a long term investment in your health and your future. Good luck.
  • fernandaBush
    fernandaBush Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's doable. How's the diet going? Ketogenic was the only thing that helped me lose fat and keep muscle mass. I hope it goes well for you too :)
  • taylorstege431
    Options
    OP, admittedly, I only read the first few responses and scanned the rest, but I'm not sure you're getting this... It seems what you're saying is you should lose more than 2 pounds a week because you CAN. That it's easy for you. It's doable. The question isn't if it's easy or doable, it's SHOULD you? IMHO, you should set your MFP goals to no more than 2 pounds a week and make sure you meet your daily nutrition goals. Some weeks you will lose more, some less, some not at all. I know you're in a hurry, but you need to look at this as a long term investment in your health and your future. Good luck.

I'm aware it may be unhealthy.. But I can lose weight fast if I try. I lost 13 pounds in 3 days once from doing a cleanse. I'm not over doing anything I'm just eating better and I lose weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm really over weight so losing more than 2 pounds a week is quite easy for me

INITIALLY it is easy. However, after awhile that pace slows down.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'm aware it may be unhealthy.. But I can lose weight fast if I try. I lost 13 pounds in 3 days once from doing a cleanse. I'm not over doing anything I'm just eating better and I lose weight.

So you're willfully taking a foolish path towards weightloss? You're willing to jeopardize your long term health?

I just want to make sure I understand you.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in 3 days, sure, that is possible, probably water weight. Sustainable, doubtful.

Be very careful of attempting to lose 100 lbs in 6 months. Sure it can be done, but unless you make a lifestyle change, you most likely will have gained it all back plus a little in 12 months.
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    i think you need to set a more realistic weight loss goal to accomplish in that amount of time.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options

And how quickly did you gain that 13 lbs back after the "cleanse" was over?

Do you want to succeed at this? Real success that is not the up and down, weight loss & re-gain rollercoaster you have been on. Take a moment and re-read the wonderful advice you have been given on this thread. Set realistic, workable goals that will last.

Think of it this way: to be successful in weight loss you shouldn't jump to ride the wildest coaster in the park....it's fun for a short time, but over quick, leaving you right where you started. Choose instead the train ride that takes you to the other side of the park. Boring and slow, sure, but it gets you where you are going, and usually with some pretty great things to see along the way.
  • LikeSeeds4Souls
    LikeSeeds4Souls Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Please watch this https://youtu.be/AzzEnKrble4
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if it is that easy and you can do it then why havent you?
  • jrami24
    jrami24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    your 20 years old, whats the rush?
  • taylorstege431
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    if it is that easy and you can do it then why havent you?

I've let life get in the way.. And I just had twins. It's a new goal I'm starting now
  • taylorstege431
    Options
    jrami24 wrote: »
    your 20 years old, whats the rush?

No rush. Just a goal set. I've been big my whole life. I want it to end
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    you seem to have it figured out. Good luck.