Fitbit alternatives?

Options
Hi there! I'm in between jobs at the moment, so the Fitbit's a little pricey for me. Are there any more affordable alternatives that you guys have used and would recommend? I really want to start walking/jogging, but all I have to go off of is my watch and I'm assuming that's not too reliable. I jog in bursts with walking in between and would like a better way to keep track of how much work I'm really doing out there.

Replies

• kayvonda
    kayvonda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It you just want to count your steps. Download a pedometer app from your phone
  • KyleeFBabyy
    KyleeFBabyy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use my iPhones built in app to count my steroids and it links with mfp, I wear my phone on an arm band when working out. It works so/so mainly bc I don't always have my phone on me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use my iPhones built in app to count my steroids and it links with mfp, I wear my phone on an arm band when working out. It works so/so mainly bc I don't always have my phone on me.

lol @KyleeFBabyy don't ya just love predictive text :open_mouth:

op definitely download a pedometer on your phone. A couple of them sync with mfp

• acorneredbaby
    acorneredbaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i'd recommend putting aside some money to save for a Fitbit. I've had mine since January and I love it. All step counting is seemingly accurate and so is the sleep tracking which comes in really handy sometimes. Great device and syncs well with mfp.
  • hotmomma1day
    hotmomma1day Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started using my iPhones built in step counter and love that in syncs with MFP, but it's a little aggravating to me to always have with me. I'd like to find a alternative, that's not so pricey also.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i'd recommend putting aside some money to save for a Fitbit. I've had mine since January and I love it. All step counting is seemingly accurate and so is the sleep tracking which comes in really handy sometimes. Great device and syncs well with mfp.

I agree. I have the basic fitbit zip. Only cost $80, I assume they're a bit cheaper in America.

It was one of the best investments I've ever made!

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I discovered the Pivotal Living Band yesterday. It's $12 for a year's rental, no automatic renewal. When you do renew, they send you a new band. I don't know enough about it to know how good it is, and I'm really not sure whether I would get much use out of a fitness band or not, being that I'm already at goal. Still, it's inexpensive and might work better with your budget while you're unemployed.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have the basic fitbit zip. Only cost $80, I assume they're a bit cheaper in America.

Fitbit Zip is US$60. But you can probably find a used Fitbit on Craigslist. When you connect a Fitbit to your account, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @kayvonda @KyleeFBabyy @christinev297 @acorneredbaby
    Thanks for all the help everyone, but I don't have a smart phone and I really can't afford a Fitbit. Money is extremely tight right now. Thanks again for the responses, though!

@PokeyBug Oh my goodness, that looks too good to be true! Just $12 for a year? Amazing. This is just what I needed. I will definitely give it a look. Thank you so much! I was beginning to wonder if I was asking for the impossible.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You may be able to find something you can afford here, they usually do free shipping

http://www.heartratemonitors.com/pedometers.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I agree. I have the basic fitbit zip. Only cost $80, I assume they're a bit cheaper in America.

The Fit Bit Zip $50 (delivered) on Amazon. It's not one that tracks sleep or stairs. The Fit Bit One model does that.

If you're just looking for activity level regular pedometers should help: http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

The hard part is finding one without all the bells & whistles. They are all trying to be Fit Bits now. I had an Omron pedometer that I liked.....$20 @ Wal-Mart.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I got the misfit flash for $30 from best buy. I don't know if that's cheap enough for you, but I love that it's waterproof so I can take it swimming :)
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @kae612 Thank you for that suggestion! I'll keep it in mind if I end up not liking the Pivotal Living Band. Actually, after doing some searching last night, I came across the Misfit Shine because it was priced better than the Fitbit. It's prettier, too, in my own opinion. I was going to save up for that next, but now that I know they have a cheaper model...

Thanks everyone! You've all been great. I'm a single mom in between jobs and just getting back into fitness since I might be starting a desk job soon. I walk or do aerobics in my home for exercise mostly since I can't afford to travel ten miles to the nearest gym every other day. I'm sure MFP's calculator is at least close to being accurate, but a fitness band will give me that piece of mind so that I know I'm not giving myself too much credit or selling myself short.

I really don't know the differences between all the fitness bands aside from brand. I'm new to this so the features are a little foreign to me. I do use stairs from time to time, but I don't know if it's enough to warrant spending extra money to track. What good is sleep monitoring?
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip, Ultra and a FitKat (wrist worn tracker). The FitKat is from a startup company so it's not exactly how I'd like it.. yet, as far as counting steps goes. It started off 128 steps off from the Zip.. and that just kept increasing throughout the day. I like it though. It was 70$ (I received the tracker with 2 additional color bands). I like the larger text on it and the SOS/guardian feature. I'm never giving up my zip (no matter which other brand I have) as I like it but forget to get it out of a pair of pants, etc, which is why I wanted a wrist worn one) as I'm so used to the FitBit community, site, etc. So, I'd recommend them over any of the others (even if I do enjoy them).
  • KyleeFBabyy
    Options
    I just looked into the pivotal living band and after reading the views, I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. I'm excited to try it out. You can't beat $12
  • KyleeFBabyy
    Options
    Thank you @PokeyBug for the suggestion