Random question... How much weight did you lose or do you expect to lose in your first 21 days?

Options
Details of what you did, if it went faster or slower than you accepted, what made you perseve

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Considering I set my deficit at 1000 calories, I expected to lose roughly 3kg. What in reality happened was that I gained 1kg the first week, no change the second week and lost around 1,5kg the third week. All in all I lost .5kg in 3 weeks.

The reason for this is that I also started lifting weights and I probably had a decent amount of water retention because of it. Since then my average loss per week has been around .75kg
  • elfkinbaby
    elfkinbaby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 pounds in my first 21 days. Faster than what I thought. I just walked an extra 15 minutes and stayed honest in my entries while staying in my goal, the default one that was set by my fitness pal.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I setup with a goal to lose 2 lbs/week from caloric deficit, using an activity level that was probably below my true level. I also was exercising 4 days a week at the time, each day doing a combination of machine based weight lifting and treadmill cardio. Most days I ate back ~ 75% of exercise calories from cardio, and didn't track burn from lifting at all.

So, my expectation was to lose no less than the 2 lb/week, and likely more. I lost ~ 13 lbs the 1st 30 days of tracking, which averages out to ~ 3 lbs/week. I am sure that a portion of that was due to less water retention, because I started tracking sodium intake along with everything else, and I changed my hydration as well.

As far as perseverance, that has been easy for me. I have always been able to do something or stick to a plan, once I truly decide I want to. For years I was a smoker, and my mother constantly bugged me about it. I always told her "I'm not trying to quit, because I know I don't really want to yet", knowing that if i wasn't invested in the change, it wouldn't be sustainable. When I finally did decide to quit, I dropped them cold turkey, and haven't looked back ... its been over 2 years now.

It's been the same with eating better and exercising more. I finally decided it was time, and then I just started. I get my motivation from my clothes fitting better, having fewer aches and pains, and being able to exert myself doing everyday activities without getting winded ( climb stairs, walk around the block on break, etc ). Seeing the number on the scale go down is nice, but the other stuff is more important to me.

You also have to be able to take it all in stride. Although there are goals you want to achieve, the truth is, this should be more about the journey. You have to make it work in a way that you can continue indefinitely ( lifestyle change ). If you think of it as something you can pick up and put down, you will likely get caught in that cycle of stopping and restarting.

When you get to that point, and you realize your going to be doing this for the next 30+ years, it changes your perspective. When you start taking the long view, the day to day progress and fluctuations become less important, and you start paying more attention to the overall trend. And when that is going in the right direction, its easy to stay the course.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    .25 lbs.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Here is my weight loss progress. I am set up for a 2-pound-per-week goal, but I actually achieve about 1 pound per week.

6CAUA0J.png
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should also ask how much people have to lose - as the more you have to lose the faster it will come off at the start. Though often a lot of that is water weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Details of what you did, if it went faster or slower than you accepted, what made you perseve

I lost about 5 lbs in the first 21 days.
    I was set to lose 1 lb per week so I lost a bit more than my goal for those first couple of weeks.
    I just used the calorie goal MFP gave me.
    My expectations of losing any weight were really low so any progress was motivating.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I lost around 15 lbs in my first 21 days.
    I started at 299 lbs.
    My calorie intake is set at 1,200 per day.
    I wouldn't advocate trying to lose that much that quickly, though. With me, I think it was a lot of water weight. I ate out almost every night, so I was consuming a ton of sodium.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I didn't track as religiously as I should, but looking back on my (private) journal from when I started, I lost 6kg in about 30 days. :)

To be honest though, I kinda jumped in at the deep end, completely overhauling my diet/daily routine overnight, and, let's be honest here, starving myself. :(
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 years to lose 85 pounds. While that seems slow, I've kept it off for 5 years so that time and rate of change was worth it to me. I've learned to live the lifestyle after 15 years of over weight, then obese, and lots of health issues.

What kept me going? I saw it working. I remembered where I once was. I saw it was the PROCESS that worked and that you can't let your varied emotions get in the way of the process. I saw that it worked over time even though the "whooshes" come in random chunks. The results are not linear, but the process kinda needs to be (allowing for our human errors and getting back on that horse and never giving up).
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose 10 pounds, but in reality, I lost like 2...

Now I'm over 100 days in and still only at 11 pounds down, depending on the day.

Yay my body...
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    So, I am going to assume you meant "expected" and "persevere"... I lost around 11 lbs in the first 21 days. It went faster than I expected. I randomly exercised a little more (5,000 steps or less) and attempted to eat around 1,200 cal a day. That is pretty much it, I wasn't really nailing it those first 3 weeks; definitely backslid some days.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started at 288
    I'm now at 280 and I've been logging for 30 days. Granted I didn't try very hard the first 20. My diet still wasn't great but now in the last 10 I've lost 8lbs. So slowly but surely.
    I have no scheduled exercise schedule but with the extra energy I've had recently I do a lot more around the house so I keep myself moving.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    14.5 pounds in the first 21 days (starting weight of 199, 184.5 after 21 days).

I'm sure a lot of it was water weight, because it slowed down pretty quick after 20 pounds lost. After 90 days I was down 31.5 pounds.

When I was losing weight I didn't follow any set program or diet, nor was I tracking calories. I just stopped snacking between meals, ate smaller portion sizes and ran a daily 5k.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    7lb in first 3 weeks (started at 195). The 4 weeks since have seen a more steady 5lb loss. I actually held off from adding exercise into my routine for around 2-3 weeks, and have very gradually increased the amount of exercise I'm doing (from 1x60 min workout in week 3, to 3h of cardio in week 7). I've got plans to increase that further over the next few weeks, but I think not pushing too hard at first, when weight loss was fine anyway, actually helped in the later weeks, and has enabled my loss to continue steadily. I've no clue if doing anything differently would have changed my early loss, I just did what felt right for my body.
  • Cantstopmyshine1993
    Cantstopmyshine1993 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm set up for 2 lb weight loss per week & activity level as active. In the first 21 days I was hoping to lose 10 lbs which I've done (:
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've only average 1 lb a week. So three pounds my first 21 days. I stuck to my calorie deficit and started being more active. I persevered because I wasn't happy with my body.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 143lbs. I think I lost about 2lbs in the first three weeks. I've been losing about 0.75lbs per week, on average.