Losing fat/ building muscle

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I've been browsing the MFP forums for a few weeks. Why do some people say you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time? Does this apply only to people already at an ideal weight? It doesn't make sense to me. In the past 13 months I've lost 95 pounds while strength training 2-3x per week. Although I didn't take a bf measurement at the beginning I guarantee you most of that loss was fat and I have gained a ton of muscle. I was very weak a year ago and can do and lift all kinds of stuff I could not go then. Would appreciate any insight but NOT wanting to start a fight or anything.

Replies

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think they say you can lose fat and gain strength but not actual bigger muscles. because to lose fat you eat at a deficit and to build muscles you have to eat at a surplus. so you cant do both. you can most definitely get stronger though which I think is what you did.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You can lose fat and gain muscle.
    It is however very hard to gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.

The question is if you actually gained a lot of muscle. Strength training while at a calorie deficit will prevent muscle loss. Perhaps you feel more muscular because a large percentage of your body is muscle?
    Also, I am not sure if this is possible, but perhaps you finally started using the muscle that was already there which led to strength gains?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You may have gained strength, which is absolutely possible, but if you were in a calorie deficit you didn't build any muscle. Having said that if you have never lifted weights before it is possible to make some"noob" gains but as a female we are talking about a pound or two at best, not a "ton of muscle". Building muscle is one of the hardest things you can try to do with your body and takes a lot of time.

To lose fat you MUST be in a calorie deficit.
    To gain muscle you MUST be in a calorie surplus and lifting increasingly heavy weights. The rate of muscle gain for a male is about 2 pounds a month, a female can expect about half of that. And that's if everything is perfect, ie. training, nutrition, sleep, etc.

As you can see you can't do both at the same time. What you are seeing, if you have lost a substantial amount of fat is the muscle you already have which was covered by a layer of fat.

Either way, congratulations on your progress.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Most understand that when you're in a caloric deficit you do more maintaining of muscle than building. Also there is the phenomenon of "noob gains" basically meaning that as a beginner you will gain muscle and strength at a serious clip almost regardless of what you do or eat. This is typically followed by the intermediate "plateau". Meaning now it's time to step up game. Nutrition and programming start to make bigger differences.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thank you. I guess I equated gaining strength to gaining muscle. Today's trainer posted a video on FB of me slamming the battle ropes. Last year this time I could barely lift them!
    https://www.facebook.com/GetfitPT/videos/685188924947412/
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    Way to go @lorrpb
    That's some awesome work!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I did 2 weeks of cardio and diet with calorie deficit

Then take a week and eat at maint and lift hard

I would advise to pick one or the other for a time. Then rotate them.

• lindathom209
    lindathom209 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for information on this myself. Some people say its possible if you eat right at maintenence or just a slight deficit and lift heavy weights so I'm going to try it. I started a new exercise class a few weeks and I am the weakest person in the class. Granted they've all been doing it for months and I'm the only newbie right now but I hate it (the feeling of being weak, not the class). So I'm shifting my focus to getting stronger rather than fitting into a certain Jean size. Hopefully I can do both :)
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    YES you can gain muscle and lose fat. It will be at a much slower rate than if you eat at a calorie surplus but with the right diet and training set up it is possible.... I did it over a 10 month period prior to my first figure competition. I lost 52lbs, went from 30% body fat to 13% and added lean mass.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    @lindathom209, I started a metabolic circuit class in late March that combines cardio and strength training. I barely made it through the first one. I am still the weakest person in the class, but I get stronger & more endurance each time. Basically you have to focus on doing YOUR best and not being distracted by others. If they've been doing it longer, they SHOULD be stronger than you.

You don't have to lift super-heavy to get stronger, just keep progressing. I've eaten at a deficit for over a year, lost 95 pounds, and gotten noticeably stronger every week.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I have been looking for information on this myself. Some people say its possible if you eat right at maintenence or just a slight deficit and lift heavy weights so I'm going to try it. I started a new exercise class a few weeks and I am the weakest person in the class. Granted they've all been doing it for months and I'm the only newbie right now but I hate it (the feeling of being weak, not the class). So I'm shifting my focus to getting stronger rather than fitting into a certain Jean size. Hopefully I can do both :)

I love your enthusiasm! The number on a scale should always be lowest priority and getting stronger is a great goal, but you should only compare yourself to yesterday you. That's your only real competition. Good luck.

And yes you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, like it was said earlier, it's a slow process, but it's doable!