Fellow migraine sufferers

Options
13»

Replies

• lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I drink more water, take homeopathic if i dont want the side effects of some medications but yh, I still have BAC and nortriptyline prescribed to me. With my diet, I tend to go for less sodium.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You should try magnesium. Low magnesium levels can cause migraines and headaches. You can find a lot of information about this.

I actually take magnesium supplements. I started to help with muscle recovery but I do wonder if they've had a positive impact on my migraines. I have noticed that I often having been consistent with taking it when I get a migraine, but that's often related to that I'm also sleep deprived etc so it's hard to be sure of the correlation.
    I've had hemiplegic migraines for 30+ years, and mine are triggered by certain foods (cheese is a huge no-no for me) stress, atmospheric changes, flashing lights, and allergies--I'm severely allergic to grass pollen, and I can count on at least one migraine every June when the pollen count is high. In my late teens & early 20's, I would get 3 - 4 migraines a week, but now in my mid-40's, I'm down to a handful a year. I used to take a variety of medications to prevent them, but I had extensive allergy testing done for another issue, and when I eliminated the things I had reactions to, my migraines slowed down considerably.

For those of you who have nausea/vomiting with your migraines: have you noticed that throwing up relieves the pressure in your head, at least for a little while?

Ohh flashing lights! Yes. I couldn't deal with the strobe lights in clubs (back in the days that I went to clubs), I would instantly want to vomit. And on the vomiting topic, no it doesn't relieve the pressure in my head. It makes it worse. Once I start vomiting I don't stop, which is why I usually end up hospitalized. I've had truly awful ones where the vertigo is too bad for me to bend over the toilet and I've just ended up propped up in the shower vomiting everywhere and wondering whether my head is actually splitting open.
  • Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eliminated wheat from my diet, and migraines all but disappeared, along with my IBS. I went from having 3-5 migraines a week (with aura), down to 3-5 a year. I now stick to all whole foods, no artificial sweeteners, and limited dairy, and I have even fewer now. Good luck!
  • togetmesomepants
    togetmesomepants Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have migraines that have recently gotten a lot worse (last month I went to the minor emergency twice and the emergency room once). Before, I got them rarely, and they didn't last very long. I don't know what my triggers are yet. I've got an appointment with a neurologist next month, so maybe I'll find something out. For now, I'm taking Sumatriptan, and it seemed to help during my last bad migraine (It only lasted for a few hours and I only vomited once).

In response to the throwing up relieving pressure, it doesn't for me. The three migraines I had last month resulted in me throwing up dozens of times, and it sure didn't make me feel any better.
  • akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines my entire life. Since as early as I can remember. Had being the most important word in that sentence. I had been prescribed topamax but it didn't help. Imitrex for onset but it's hard to take that if you're nauseous. 6 years ago I quit eating gluten and haven't had a migraine that didn't relate directly to gluten exposure since that time. Usually 2-3 days after exposure.
    It's not a fun or easy answer. But I went from having 2-3 crippling migraines a month to 1 in the last year without any medication.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have basilar type migraines, which are like hemiplegic minus the paralysis. I also have chronic vertigo and nystagmus from a head injury and the migraines and it makes it very hard to compensate long term so my balance is terrible. Botox does the most for me preventative wise, but I still pass out a lot and lose speech abilities. It's a sucky way to live, but I refuse to let them steal more of my life than they have to.

I've recently been diagnosed with Basilar type migraines. It took over 7 months to get diagnosed, and several medications through trial and error. With my meds regulated, I'm able to function fairly normally, though do have a flare-up from time to time. In addition to that, I also have digestion issues, so figuring out my diet has been the hardest thing for me since I've been diagnosed.

I feel your pain (both literally and figuratively), and it sucks!

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hello out there. I was just wondering if there are a lot of fellow migraine suffers on MFP?
    Just for clarification, I mean the real migraine diagnosis (I know sometimes people in the US use the word migraine to mean headache...definitely not the same thing).
    I get hemiplegic ones which are extra fun.
    I'm just curious if anyone has noticed how changing or restricting their diet has changed their migraines? Mine aren't really food triggered, dehydration is a HUGE trigger for me though and stress. Although no particular food triggers them (except alcohol because of dehydration, so I don't really drink anymore), I do think that not eating regularly or causing big fluctuations of my blood sugar can increase the problems.
    Just wanted to hear what happens for others? For how incredibly disruptive to your life they can be, migraines don't really get talked about that much and I find lots of people don't really understand them unless they or a loved one suffers from them. I know they disrupt my partners life almost as much as mine.
    Would love to hear others stories!

I have a few food triggers for "normal" migraines. I've had a few hemiplegic ones, but I don't know their trigger.

I do know a big trigger for me is hormones being out of whack, so I do take daily hormones.