Running over 200 pounds

Options
i am 5'4 and 244 pounds. I got jealous of one of my weight loss pals that was burning 3 times in half an hour than I was in an hour. So tonight I did the first part of couch to 5k. Oh...my...God. I thought I was going to die. I had visions of my heart husband finding me collasped on the pavement and having to call paramedics. So my question to you is this; is this a level I need to work at? Should I keep trying to run or should I go back to walking? All opinions welcome.

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I never run unless a monster is after me but I want to tell you how I admire you for trying.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you can't do C25K and it continuously ends with that result... don't do it, yet.

Go back to walking until you think you are ready for C25K.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am 5'4 and at 268lbs I just walked. I told myself that I would start jogging once I got under 200lbs but I was still to afraid lol so I procrastinated until I was under 170 :neutral:

Now I jog 30 minutes per day and I actually like it.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it would be a good idea to stick with walking for 20 - 30 minutes a day. If you are already at that point, slowly increase the speed of your walk. Once you can briskly walk for 30 mins straight and still able to carry on a normal conversation, give the C to 5K another shot. And when you start the app again, don't worry about speed. Take it very slowly. In fact, whatever the run times are in the app, cut them in half while keeping the walk time the same.

You want to build up a good foundation. Your body needs time to adjust to the amount and type of exercise.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200lbs, and when I began to get active I had to start with walking. I walked consistently for a couple months building speed and endurance and then started c25k. I'm still taking it slowly, but I can do it. I think it's important to have that foundation.
  • MrsHcrane
    MrsHcrane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 223 5'5" and my chiropractor recently told me to do telephone poles. The first one you walk. The second you walk briskly. The third you run. I haven't begun yet trying to motivate still.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I started running at 255 pounds (I'm male, 5' 7.5") last September, basically 105 pounds over my supposed goal weight. I couldn't "run" half a kilometer at the start without stopping to wheeze... often more than once. I just kept at it, built slowly, and eventually made 1km without stopping. Then 2km. Etc. By December I was running 5km. By Feb 7km or more. And so on.

Since then I've dropped 76 pounds and today ran 34km.

If you don't have health or joint issues stopping you from running (talk to your doc!) then do it... just take it slow. Running slow is the key - shorter strides and slower pace will get you there and reduce injury.

Good luck and welcome to the world of running!

Mike
    Vancouver BC
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to count your heart rate, or get a monitor to make sure you're staying in a safe range. Take it slow. Don't give up!
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    While pushing yourself in a workout is good, don't overdo it. The last thing you want is to end up hurting yourself. My recommendation would be to run slower, and do it for shorter intervals of time. If I remember correctly, C25k starts out with running for a minute and then walking for a minute and a half, correct? Maybe run for a minute and walk for two minutes, or run for 30 seconds and walk for a minute. Find something that feels comfortable for you. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can work your way up.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was 267 when I stared running (5'10"). I didn't do a special program. I started by walking 4 minutes and running (jogging really) 1 minute. I just repeated that cycle.

Every week I either increased the running segments or decreased the walking segments by 30 seconds. The key is to go slowly. Don't try to run fast. If you stick with it, you will see dramatic improvement very quickly.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I never cared for running, my husband is a marathon runner, but not me. I prefer walking--so I like to hike which burns mega calories. Don't try to compete with friends who run, especially regarding the number of calories they burn compared to you. The important thing is you're burning calories just by moving. We all learn to crawl before we walk. If you're a runner, you'll know it soon, and if not, don't get discouraged, let your friends run while you walk.

It's very important that you find exercise you enjoy doing, otherwise you'll never stick with it.

Take care!

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also started running heavy at 282 (I'm 5'6"). I started off very slowly and only ran in short bursts (1-2 minutes) and just gradually kept adding more time to my nonstop running as I adjusted. When I first started, everything was making me gasp and hurt my lungs, but all that eventually went away and I no longer felt like my heart was dying. :p Good luck and don't push yourself to do more than you're capable of. Nothing wrong with walking!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So tonight I did the first part of couch to 5k. Oh...my...God. I thought I was going to die. I had visions of my heart husband finding me collasped on the pavement and having to call paramedics. So my question to you is this; is this a level I need to work at?

So the most common problem for new runners is going out too fast, and burning out. It sounds like that's what you've done.

Slow down in the running portions, the whole point of C25K is to get your running continuously for 30 minutes, rather than running fast. Speed comes with time.

You'll find a lot of support in the C25K group; http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 228lb and sticking to walking - admittedly I am walking faster as the weeks go by approaching 4mph now. I plan to carry on walking increasing distance and speed as best I can and not start jogging until I get below 200 lb.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with the really helpful comments above. I am 175 lbs currently with 30 lbs to lose and I am 51. I have been exercising just 2 months with walking and cycling. Started C25K this week (5 mins brisk walking, 1 min jogging, 1 1/2 walking x 8). It didn't feel impossible but very hard and I had to sit down when I got home for an hour. You could walk 5 mins, slow jog 30 seconds and repeat a few times - slower with more recovery time. Listen to your own body
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 208lbs - I'm day 4 of C25k and find it fine now but day 1 I was like you. I was disappointed as tail end of 2013 I was running 10k 4 times a week and genuinely though I would just pick up where I left off!! Anyway, day 1 I did the 5min warm up and managed 13mins of intervals before deciding I couldn't take anymore and I walked the rest of it. You shouldn't do the days back to back so I left it two days and did day two and managed it all no problem and day 3 was a doddle! I did day 4 yesterday and definitely felt the difference but again manageable. Do what you can I say don't stick to the intervals if you feel like you're going to die but do as much as possible - x
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with walking. It's good to challenge yourself but if you shouldn't feel like you're going to die! Especially if you're a beginner - you don't want to injure yourself or burn out. Maybe leave C25K for a little while. It will be there in 6 months time. :) Keep up with the walking and maybe gradually add in short (and it can be really short - e.g. to the next light post etc) SLOW jogs. Get your body used to the feeling, get used to how you need to breath etc.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I never run unless a monster is after me but I want to tell you how I admire you for trying.

My thoughts exactly :)

• fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    One of the issues people face when starting out is going way, way too fast. Your run needs to be an easy enough pace that you can still carry on a conversation. If you can't, then you need to slow down. The speed comes later; right now you want to work on building up your endurance.

There's a great c25k group here too community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k and they are the perfect resource for answering any questions you may have as you start your running journey. :)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I thought the same, that I could do a C25K program when I was 245. Nope. Still can't at 203, but I get a great workout on the treadmill at 4.0 MPH (brisk walk) for an hour, keeping my heart rate between 135-145 (I use a Polar HRM) for at least 30 minutes. The thing about walking is that it's most effective when you can maintain a steady pace. If left on my own outside, my brisk walk would disintegrate into a casual stroll. Thus, the hamster wheel.

But good luck and don't quit whatever you do :)