No carb diet

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah you definitely need to clarify with this doctor. A quick glance of your Mediterranean meal plan does in fact include carbs.. It seems like quite the contradiction
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Based on what the diet actually calls for, my guess is that as she wrote that she accidentally wrote the wrong word. Just like people misspeak, they can miswrite. She wrote no grains. Maybe she meant to write no added sugar as well. The sheet does say no concentrated sweets and no grains. But you need to ask her to clarify.

But if she actually makes you uncomfortable, switching might be good. Although I will say from personal experience, sometimes the first visit to a new doctor is awkward and then a very good relationship can form.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would ask her to clarify what she meant by no carbs. The diet she gave you says plant foods, which fruits and vegetables are carbs. Maybe they meant something different.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ok a lot of misinformation on here. No carb- low carb does not equate or lead to kidney damage.
    What you need to look up and read is the "ketogenic diet".
    The body does not need carbohydrates. In the ketogenic diet FAT is used as the primary fuel source ( instead of carbs).
    A common macro split for a keto diet would look like this. 65-75% fat, 5% or less carbs, 20-35% protein ( depending on lbm).
    The Ketogenic diet has been shown to reverse type 2 diabetes all together as well as alzheimers and helps prevent cancer.
    It is frankly a better fuel source for the body.
    Give your Dr the benefit of the doubt and look into it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That diet is definitely not 'no carb', so either she is confused, or she wrote the wrong word. I know sometimes if I'm writing and talking at the same time, I will write the word I'm saying and not the one I meant to write. So maybe she did that. But do ask to see a new doctor and speak to your primary care physician.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    That is not low carb, there are plenty of carbohydrate rich foods in that list.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I am going with mis written word.

The rest of the guidelines shown on that piece of paper sound reasonable so I think it is probably just a mistake.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, talk to your regular doctor or a dietician.
    Eat lots and lots of greens (spinach, romaine, swiss chard, kale, cabbage), olives, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, pickles, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, avocados, coconuts. :)
    You do need some fat in your diet: eggs, nuts, avocado, coconut.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think what she meant are no sugary carbs, no grainsand breads or pancakes waffle. Bc there are carbs on that list like beans and fruit and vegetables.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies have carbs in them. I would ask for some clarification from the dietician.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I would ask for some clarification about what they meant by no carbs. If it's explained as no refined carbs or no starchy carbs then what's been written is incredibly misleading and I would re-think trusting any advice from this person at all. I think it would have to be incredibly extreme circumstances for a Doctor to reccommend cutting out vegetables all together and, in these circumsances, it doesn't seem warranted.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah you definitely need to clarify with this doctor. A quick glance of your Mediterranean meal plan does in fact include carbs.. It seems like quite the contradiction

Perhaps they were using carbs in the same way as my friend to mean pasta, bread, potato etc - she doesn't think in terms of macros but more food categories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Did your doctor give you any guidance as to how this is supposed to happen? Most low carb diets are comprised of veggies, fruits, meats, fats (oils), and some dairy, but carbs/sugar occur naturally in veggies, fruits, and dairy, so complete avoidance would be next to impossible. I think your assessment that she isn't listening to you is spot on - is there another doctor in the practice you can talk to? I've honestly never heard of a "no carb" diet prescription for some diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

I have full blown T2Dm and I have been prescribed a moderate carb diet. Are you sure that is what your doctor told you? No carb is extreme, even for people with diabetes let alone pre-diabetics. Did they give you a list of food to eat? You might want to get a referral to a Registered Dietician who can walk you through meal ideas.

I agree with this. It could be a misunderstanding with your doctor.

If not, you might want to get a new doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies!
    She wrote no carb on my new diet plan which says Mediterranean diet on it. She is actually part of a very large practice that is part of our local hospital and very well respected. I do think I'm going to call and ask for a new doctor as she makes me feel so uncomfortable. I'm going to see the dietitian in two weeks and hopefully that will help me get some tips on cooking and such. I also want to have my primary care doctor look at my blood work, because he takes the same medication I do and has done bloodwork on me for the last eight or nine months and I want him to see the blood sugar and insulin information.

oujt4kxlsbbm.jpg
    xvueg6ka9l0t.jpg

Could be she made an error.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    She was just being imprecise. She's saying no potato, bread, grains, cakes. But YES to vegetables and fruit. [edit for: it looks like only small portions of beans]

Basically Mediterranean Paleo
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Perhaps they were using carbs in the same way as my friend to mean pasta, bread, potato etc - she doesn't think in terms of macros but more food categories.

This was my first thought.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't a weight loss doc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    She wrote no carb on my new diet plan which says Mediterranean diet on it. She is actually part of a very large practice that is part of our local hospital and very well respected. I do think I'm going to call and ask for a new doctor as she makes me feel so uncomfortable. I'm going to see the dietitian in two weeks and hopefully that will help me get some tips on cooking and such. I also want to have my primary care doctor look at my blood work, because he takes the same medication I do and has done bloodwork on me for the last eight or nine months and I want him to see the blood sugar and insulin information.

oujt4kxlsbbm.jpg
    xvueg6ka9l0t.jpg

Could be she made an error.

I can only assume considering the paper she gave out specifically states " eat beans, vegetables, fruit" etc.

Maybe she put that on there assuming OP is ignorant of what "carbs" are and wanted him to stay away from anything he thinks might be "carbs" like pasta, bread, potato, etc.? Maybe?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

oujt4kxlsbbm.jpg
    xvueg6ka9l0t.jpg
    Lol, states no carbs, but adds in fruit and vegetables. Not very knowledgeable in nutrition if stating NO CARBS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

oujt4kxlsbbm.jpg
    xvueg6ka9l0t.jpg
    Lol, states no carbs, but adds in fruit and vegetables. Not very knowledgeable in nutrition if stating NO CARBS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is what I thought. lol

Gives you a diet plan with grains and carbs....then writes in NO to them.... I can see how you are confused.

From what you said op, I think you are on the right track to see your reg doc and ask for a different diet doc in that practice.