Knees hurting

Options
Anna334
Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
Recently my knees started hurting. Normally I use the recumbent bike for 20 min and my treadmill for 20 min (some days I will go up to 30 min on the treadmill). I was happy I could exercise finally but I am getting an ache in both knees. Feeling a little frustrated :/ anyone know of good knee support brace or any suggestions.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    In what way are your knees hurting? Behind the kneecap? Above/below the knee on the outside?

Strengthening your hips and your glutes is generally a good second step. The first is of course, don't do what hurts.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Before you go trying to ace bandage your knees, make an appointment with your doctor. He or she can give you a much better answer as to what is causing your ache and how to treat it, than strangers on the internet.

If you try and mask the pain yourself, you could risk hurting yourself more.
  • Anna334
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I feel like the ache is in the front of the knees. I rested for a couple of days and today I did the same routine and now I have pain in them. I have fibromyalgia and I don't know if this is related to that issue or something else.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Are you hanging onto the treadmill when you walk, or standing up straight and swinging your arms? Makes a big difference in your posture and balance.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a check-in with your doctor. Where it hurts matters as to what is likely causing the issue. Have you taken steps like icing your knees after exercise? Also, how about the shoes you're wearing for the treadmill. Are they specifically for walking?

Otherwise, I recommend looking up common treatments for your exact pain...might need to do more stretching, warm-up, and/or icing after a workout.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    See an orthopedist. My increasing knee pain over the past month turned out to be Arthritis in one knee and I've lost strength in that quad due to favoring it with the left one. No surgery needed, but rehab is called for and a cortisone shot was given.
  • Anna334
    Options
    Sometimes I do hold onto the treadmill for balance. I really did not stretch before working out because for a while I was walking at slow speed (1.8-2). Now I am walking 2.3-2.4. Which is still slow. But I will start stretching and icing more to see if that helps. I wear new balance running sneakers this seem to be the most comfortable. Thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see the doctor.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Anna334 wrote: »
    Sometimes I do hold onto the treadmill for balance. I really did not stretch before working out because for a while I was walking at slow speed (1.8-2). Now I am walking 2.3-2.4. Which is still slow. But I will start stretching and icing more to see if that helps. I wear new balance running sneakers this seem to be the most comfortable. Thanks

Good! Stop hanging on altogether. It's more important to start slowly with both speed and incline than to try to push it by holding onto the machine. Not only is this unsafe for your posture, but it's unsafe for falling. Stretching doesn't matter here; balance and control do.
  • Anna334
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok I will let go and go back to real slow. Thanks for all the suggestions and I will talk to my rheumatologist about this at my next visit. :)
  • cocnuts
    cocnuts Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I ignored a slight pain in the back of my knee for a few weeks and kept on exercising (although there was running and jumping-like fitness classes...). Eventually have had to stop all together since it went worse.

So you should at least stop, but in your case might want to see the doctor, since you have a previous condition.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    some exercises will help. For instance:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/knee-strength-workout
  • SongbirdTrisha
    SongbirdTrisha Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have torn meniscus in both knees (surgery on the right leg next week); please see your doctor! Its better to be safe than sorry. I'm still walking on the treadmill, and am on the hunt for strengthening exercises for every lower body part ;-).
    Good luck.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    See an orthopedist. My increasing knee pain over the past month turned out to be Arthritis in one knee and I've lost strength in that quad due to favoring it with the left one. No surgery needed, but rehab is called for and a cortisone shot was given.
    Im currently in the same process i just found out I have arthiritis in my left knee and im loosing cartilage doc wants me to do injections and i was in pt. Been feeling down i feel like i cant do much without swelling :(