Missing item for diner or lunch

Options
Hi all!

I often eat salmon and pork with veggies, don't want empty carbs like rice but still feel that something is missing. What do you guys would add to that?

Thanks!

P.S.: Goal is weight loss, 28yo female, on a 1 320 calories diet.

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by empty carbs? Would you prefer something less starchy? Or something with more fiber?

I usually choose potatoes or whole grain enriched pasta over rice for extra fiber and protein-but there is nothing wrong with rice. I like using 1/2 a portion of rice and adding beans. Gets me the extra protein and fiber, and I still get to have rice.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Avocados.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What about quinoa or black beans (or a mixture of both)? Would provide more fiber and protein than rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider rice "empty carbs" so we might have different goals or viewpoints such that this is not helpful, but I don't like rice that much (it's okay, but usually not worth the calories to me) so with dinner I'd be more likely to have potatoes (with the skin) or sweet potatoes or corn (when in season) or lentils or peas as my starch, or maybe something like sunchokes (so good!) or root vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets), or winter squash or even a second non starchy veg that contrasts well with the main veg (like brussels sprouts or green beans with cauliflower, but millions of options). It really depends on how many carbs I want (I like carbs at dinner, they are good for morning workouts) and how many calories I am going for.

Sometimes I replace the starch with avocado or fruit or dairy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I would add dessert, but that's me.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You might like the quinoa lentils recipe I recently found;

http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-quinoa-salad-433808?nl=email_share
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    do a second veggie that is more starchy, hearty, or filling. some examples are carrots, corn, brussels sprouts, califlower, mushrooms, and peas, which tend to be more filling than say spinach.

I actually have a potato almost every night and my calories come in under 1300. Yukon Gold potatoes are only 100 calories. I usually slice them thin and season, spray a pan with butter or olive oil non stick, give the potatoes a spray as well, bake at 400 for about 7 minutes, flip them over to cook for a few more minutes. super yum. sometimes i cut them into little match stick size pieces to make skinny delicious oven french fries.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I would add dessert, but that's me.

lol. yes:-)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have fish and veggies I make a Lean Cuisine macaroni and cheese with it. If you cook it and spoon it onto your plate it looks like a lot of food and it's substantial. If you get the Vermont white cheddar one it has 14g of protein.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I like beans or lentils myself.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like beans or lentils myself.

I've discovered a real liking for black eyed peas and black beans which was surprising.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    For me adding something sauce usually helps. Whether it be a fruity salsa in summer, or zoodles tossed with some tomato sauce.
  • rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal couscous...good protein & fibre source. Hella easy to prepare.
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, variations of brown rice or quinoa pasta, beans, are all good. I just measure portions at night. I also like sides that are filling and add volume like zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, and brussel sprouts.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    sweet potato.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This! sweet potato is fantastic, cut into wedges (skin on) and baked in a little olive oil with salt and rosemary is just brilliant.

Other than that things like cous cous and quinoa are great suggestions. If you don't want carbs at all you can look at things like olives and cheeses although you need to be careful on a 1320cal diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some cottage cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me adding some whole grain pasta or potatoes really helps filling me up and is totally worth the extra 150-200 calories. Or some mashed cauliflower or carrots or something. I typically feel the need to have two sides with my meals too (I know, it's weird).
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband eats low carb. He generally just does huge meat/veggie portions. If you feel the need for that missing third item maybe some almonds on the side would help or a different veggie so you still "see" that second side.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me adding some whole grain pasta or potatoes really helps filling me up and is totally worth the extra 150-200 calories. Or some mashed cauliflower or carrots or something. I typically feel the need to have two sides with my meals too (I know, it's weird).

I don't think it's weird, that's how I am too. I always do multiple vegetables if I am trying to keep the cals low and skip starch/fruit/dairy.