Weight loss and menopause

Options
Does anyone have any tips on restarting your metabolism during menopause? I am having a difficult time loosing weight. It seems like my metabolism has stopped. I started going to Zumba classes and bike riding and get out for 45 minutes several times a week but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect Thanks in advance for any tips!

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    no tips but if you find some let me know! I am not going to eat back my exercise calories and see if that helps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn ... same as at any other age.

I'm perimenopausal, and from everything I read, I should have trouble losing weight, but it has been relatively simple.

Have you entered your stats into MFP?
    Have you chosen sedentary as your activity level?
    Have you selected how much you want to lose?
    What calorie limit did MFP give you?

Now it is up to you to stay under that.
    Meticulously weigh and log everything.

As for exercise ... what's wrong with exercising every day? Walk to and from work, walk at lunch, do your classes, bicycle rides, etc. after work. Exercise makes weight loss more enjoyable. :)

Oh, and only eat about half your calories back. Chances are you're not burning as much as you think you are. Exercise calculators are notorious for over-estimating the number of calories burned.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Increase your muscle mass.
    Evaluate your day to day activity level... Are you buzzing about busy and active or are you driving around the parking lot looking for a closer space.
  • proboho
    proboho Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lost 3+ stone (45lbs) aged 58-60 and towards the end of my menopause. Forensic food logging and exercise (zumba, swimming, walking) did it for me. I did not let the whole menopause thing bother me, just got on with it.