Is anyone on Zyrtec or antihistamines and losing weight?

Options
I take over the counter Zyrtec for allergies and read that it causes weight gain? Wondering if anyone here takes Zyrtec or an antihistamine and is successfully losing weight.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of Benedryl, esp during allergy season. As well as Nasacort and/or Flonase. No problems losing weight and these don't effect my appetite either.

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the non-drowsy antihistamines like Zyrtec and Claritin is that they are essentially a super weak time-release antihistamine, something similar to how Benadryl can be non-drowsy so long as you don't take the full dose.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I take it during pollen peak season

It has no impact other than making exercise morse pleasant since I can breathe easier
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I take allergy medication all year round, I'm allergic to sodding everything. Never heard it causes weight gain, I'm losing weight so obviously isn't a problem for me!
  • sirna731
    sirna731 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take Benedryl, no problem losing weight.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I take allergy meds regularly as well, no impact on my weight or ability to lose.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I take them - never heard that, never experienced that.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I take a Zyrtec everyday. I've lost 50lbs.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with Zyrtec affecting my weight loss. I have, on the other hand, had a lot of problems with ice cream doing so.
  • jnz17
    jnz17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec as needed and I usually feel more sleepy and less hungry on it, so I end up eating less.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I take over the counter Zyrtec for allergies and read that it causes weight gain? Wondering if anyone here takes Zyrtec or an antihistamine and is successfully losing weight.
    Thank you in advance.

Drugs themselves do not cause weight gain, but they could cause an increased appetite causing you to overeat, which leads to weight gain.

I've taken antihistamines my entire adult life, both prescription and over the counter, and it has not causation in my weight gain or weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with Zyrtec affecting my weight loss. I have, on the other hand, had a lot of problems with ice cream doing so.

Is this what you're talking about? :D

a-ice-cream-sundae-18.jpg?w=500&h=375
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90lbs while being on daily zyrtec.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm on fexofenadine (Telfast) daily. I don't think it has hindered my weightloss at all.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Is this what you're talking about? :D

a-ice-cream-sundae-18.jpg?w=500&h=375

That is pretty much EXACTLY what I am talking about!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I also take Zyrtec daily, and have had no problems with weight - lost 40 lbs and now maintaining happily, no change in allergy (or other) medication routines.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm on a double daily dose of Zyrtec... Lost 60 pounds and have been maintaining for over a year... no adverse affects.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have taken it for years.. Doesn't affect weight loss at all.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I was afraid it would hamper my weightloss, glad to see that everyone taking it is doing so well.
    Best Wishes!
    Cheryl
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I take Benadryl at night to sleep and occasional to sometimes daily Allegra. I am slowly losing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What?

Seriously?

They may increase your appetite cos you feel better, or make you less active cos of drowsy...just control your intake