why should I log water intake

Options
I know that as humans we need water to survive and drinking water is an important part of a healthy diet, but is there a specific reason we need to log the water we drink into our app. if I forget to log the water that I drink for instance, is it going to give me an inaccurate calorie count or will it mess with my diet?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to log your water. I wish fitness people would stop with this water business. You don't need to drink exactly 64oz a day. You don't need to log, count or measure it. You don't have to check the color of your pee to see if you need to drink, lol.

Unless you have some medical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, all you have to do is drink some water when your thirsty. It really is that easy.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    You don't have to track it if you don't want to, I generally think it's more important for athletes who need to worry about staying hydrated. For an average person such as myself, I never track my water/fluid intake. It's a pain honestly since some foods naturally contain more water than others, and I wouldn't know how to go about tracking milk in smoothies/coffee.
    If you feel like tracking it won't benefit you, then I wouldn't track it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've never logged water. It has no calories...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I never log water. I only see the utility if you're actually aiming to ingest a certain amount and need to keep track of it for that, but I drink loads of it so I don't bother.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I don't log it.

I do, however, make sure that I log any drinks with calories in my diary.
  • tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do log in my water in take, it's a good reminder to drink water throughout the day. It has not value in the over all calorie count. If one decides to record water, remember coffee and all the other drinks are mostly water and should be included.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I only log my water intake on here because I like to keep track of how much I'm drinking each day. I try to drink between 10 to 14 cups of water a day in the summer.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I never log it.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I "log" it so i t won't bother me, I just make sure I drink plety cos it's hot here and well I drink almost a liter at the gym so I think I'm good.
  • alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am starting to log to see if me increasing my water makes a difference in my weight loss in general. Just like foods, I think it is nice to be able to look back over your diary, if you have gains or losses, and see what seemed to work or not work for your body. I think if we don't log we seem to think we have drank more than we actually have.
  • ATL_Geiger
    ATL_Geiger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Minor OCD requires that I log it because it's there to log. And it helps me keep track of how much I've had. I can get kinda crazy with it and I don't want to drown myself. lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't log water - I know I drink enough. When I was logging I was always way over the minimum anyway.
  • A_poetiq
    A_poetiq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do it for my own accountability. Nothing more. I don't have a set amount either. I have kidney issues which necessitates that I stay hydrated so I try to drink a good bit.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I did it for a little while but got nothing out of it so i stopped
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to log your water. I wish fitness people would stop with this water business. You don't need to drink exactly 64oz a day. You don't need to log, count or measure it. You don't have to check the color of your pee to see if you need to drink, lol.

Unless you have some medical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, all you have to do is drink some water when your thirsty. It really is that easy.

So much this!

I do need to drink quite a bit as I live where it's hot and dry but I don't count or track it. I do, however, weigh myself before a long run and then again after so I can see how much water I lost during the run. It can be as many as 4 or 5 pounds depending on the length of the run, the temperature and humidity. I then make sure I drink at least that much over the next few hours to replenish it.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I log it. I find it informational and it reminds to hydrate properly because otherwise I don't drink enough
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural-born water guzzler so I don't log it. I have a specific water cup for home and bottle for gym. Each can hold up to 16 oz. So (because I'm recuperating from surgery and excused from the gym for now), I know how many times I fill up my at home cup.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I have a 32 oz bottle that I refill twice or I refill my 28 oz bottle 3 times if that's what I'm using.

I just started again yesterday and I'm logging other non-calorie drinks right now for my own curiosity.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Agreed!

My body tells me when I'm thirsty and I drink something. Tada.