Backpacking - A hobby for all body types?

Options

Replies

• mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    why bother making a mountain out of a molehill?! Ten miles over night? Is simple walking and carrying things, that'S what humans are designed for! When I come home from backpacking I have usually lost a couple of pounds, acquired a tan and some added muscle, feel great and that's it. On my first trip I was 40 pounds overweight and carried a 40 pound backpack for two months through Thailand.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With extra weight and pack weight - I like tad heftier shoes - unless you know the trail is going to be very rock and root free and easy going.
    The hike isn't the time to attempt to strengthen ankles, that will happen anyway to an extent, so find something in the middle, good support but light.
    Beginner sounds like good trail - but you want to buy for just this one - or future ones?

5 miles a day you'll realize is nothing if pack fits well, you'll get done so early you may want to keep going.
    You'll still enjoy taking the pack off of course, but realize it's not that bad for so short.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys so much for all of the advice.

I've only ever done 2-4 mile hikes before with no added weight so this has definitely been informative and uplifted my spirits. I'm going to get fitted for my pack this month so I can go ahead and get started on practice runs to build up my stamina.

Any preference on hiking shoes vs hiking boots? I've been looking into the Solomans Speedcross 3 Trail Shoes.

The shoes really depend a lot on your preferences and the terrain. Basically, the rockier the terrain the more support your shoes should have, especially around the ankle to prevent injuries.

I wear Salomon Women's XT Wings trail running shoes for almost all of my walking and hiking. They are super lightweight, have good traction, and good support for the arch and foot. I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots for really rough, rocky terrain and any bushwhacking I do. I waterproof them every year. I also have a pair of Steger mukluks for very cold hiking (like on lakes that have iced over) and snowshoeing. They also get waterproofed on a yearly basis.

Whatever shoes or boots you decide on, take at least 4 pairs of hiking socks and change them about halfway through the day. You want soft, absorbent socks (I am partial to Smartwool and Wigwam) and changing them will keep the feet comfortable, dry, and blister free.
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get gear I can use on multiple trips! The overall goal is to have an outdoorsy active hobby we can enjoy together. We already do white water rafting, kayaking and camping so we thought backpacking seemed like a nice addition. Thank you for all of the advice you guys have no idea how helpful you've been! I really appreciate it.
  • earlnabby
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd like to get gear I can use on multiple trips! The overall goal is to have an outdoorsy active hobby we can enjoy together. We already do white water rafting, kayaking and camping so we thought backpacking seemed like a nice addition. Thank you for all of the advice you guys have no idea how helpful you've been! I really appreciate it.

Sounds like a great plan. Trial and error will be your main way to determine what gear will be best for you. If you see others with a camp set up already along the trail, stop and say "hi" and feel free to ask about their gear. Backpackers are a great community and love to talk about what they use! You are doing this the right way, starting out with an overnight trip.

• Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    5 miles is a good beginner trip. I ditto much of the advice about doing some test hikes in the shoes you plan to hike in, with the pack you plan to use. Here is a video I put together a few months back on blister-free feet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnxBQnZ3llw.

Also...you need to have a SERIOUS talk with your boyfriend about expectations. Don't blow this off. I have known several dating couples who ended their relationship on their first hike because she couldn't keep up, and he wouldn't be patient. How fast does he want to hike? How many hours a day? Does he want short breaks or long ones? His he going to get mad at you when you're pace is slower than his? Is he willing to turn around and go back to the car if things aren't working out?

It's important to talk about all this--one of the women I know tells me she hiked until she vomited, because earlier in the day her boyfriend and told her to "quit whining and keep up." It snowed on them that night & she was unprepared for the cold weather. Again, he blamed her attitude. <jerk>

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well, she learned a lot about his character, didn't she?
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Thanks for the video, I will def check that out. That dude also sounds TERRIBLE. haha. Poor girl, at least she found out then and not later. Nick (my bf) is a really patient person luckily. We did a bike the city event at the beginning of summer and it was ALL hills and not really the easiest thing Ive done. He stuck by me the entire time and encouraged me to keep going. He's very go with the flow so I don't think it would bother him to drop his own pace down to mine. He's the type that lightly encourages but doesnt force. I cant believe that guy pushed her to the point of throwing up. Thats horrible!
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, she learned a lot about his character, didn't she?

more likely, she was oblivious or willfully ignored red flags in the relationship.

Going out into the woods is not going to transform your partner into a jerk. If your communication is good at home, and you can accept your partners strengths and weakness (and they can extend the same courtesy to you) at home being in the woods will be no different. If you're in a solid relationship, your partner will understand your physical limitations.

People say similar things about couples breaking up after canoeing together, but if you ask me their relationships were not working that well on the shore either.

You still need to speak up; voice your opinions and be honest with yourself and your hiking companions about how you're feeling. There will definitely be ups and downs for both of y'all, but it sounds like you have a very supportive partner so congrats!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks for the video, I will def check that out. That dude also sounds TERRIBLE. haha. Poor girl, at least she found out then and not later. Nick (my bf) is a really patient person luckily. We did a bike the city event at the beginning of summer and it was ALL hills and not really the easiest thing Ive done. He stuck by me the entire time and encouraged me to keep going. He's very go with the flow so I don't think it would bother him to drop his own pace down to mine. He's the type that lightly encourages but doesnt force. I cant believe that guy pushed her to the point of throwing up. Thats horrible!

Sounds like you may have a keeper there. I have a feeling you two are going to have a great experience!

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Also....PACK OUT YOUR TOILET PAPER. Do not try to burn it or bury it (people have started raging forest fires trying to burn their tp). Coming across wads of tp in an otherwise beautiful wilderness area is beyond gross. Camp at least 100 feet from any water source also.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    I would never have even thought about burning it. Seems like a risky move. lol. We were suggested ziplock bagging it. haha. Thanks for the advice though!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I hike rather than backpack, but I have been using poles lately. I feel kind of weird using them, but they definitely make hills and uneven terrain a lot easier. They engage the upper body to help so you get a bit of an arm workout as well. The primary benefit for me is that my hands often swell up during a hike, and arm engagement keeps that from happening. I got mine from Amazon, and they were not expensive.

5 miles/day is definitely doable for a beginner of average fitness. Rest when you need to, have a little snack when you need to, and have fun.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So my boyfriend and I are going backpacking in September for the first time. I'm still on my weight loss journey and I'm nervous the added weight of the backpack will be too much for me. Have any of you backpacked before while still being overweight? Any tips?

I did once, a two day overnight trip. THe problem for me wasn't really the weight of the pack (it wasn't that heavy for two days). The issue was the hills. The first couple of miles of my hike were up a fairly steep incline. Even some of the thin people were struggling a bit.

My advice, know what the terrain is going to be like and practice in similar conditions. If you properly prepare, you will enjoy yourself much more.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would never have even thought about burning it. Seems like a risky move. lol. We were suggested ziplock bagging it. haha. Thanks for the advice though!

Take baby wipes for TP. You will use less material and it easier to fold into squares as you're using it. Also baby wipes packs better clean and dirty into ziplock bags.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Avid hiker and backpacker here. Lots of great advise here.

Re: Shoes. My personal preference for both day hiking and backpacking is a running shoe. Trail runners are best but regular running shoes are fine too. Hiking boots weigh too much and wear you out faster, plus they trap moisture from sweat inside your shoes making them more likely to cause blisters. The main thing with light shoes is to keep your pack light too. On an overnight trip my pack is about 18lbs, add 2 for every day in additional food. I never exceed 30lbs.

Lighter is better overall with backpacking. Of course, generally speaking, the lighter gear costs more and is more fragile so that's something to consider. Down bags and ultralight tents are pricey.

Sometimes lightening your load is cheaper too though. I use Gatorade bottles for my water bottle. They weigh a couple ounces, cost 89 cents and come filled with Gatorade. A Nalgene bottle weighs a pound or more and cost $20. Expensive water filters weigh a pound or more and some cost almost $100. Aqua-Mira drops cost $10-15, weigh a few ounces and don't add any bad taste to the water (it's chlorine dioxide, which is what the water plants use to treat your tap water).

There's tons of great info on http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html . Might be worth checking out.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PAtinCO wrote: »

Re: Shoes. My personal preference for both day hiking and backpacking is a running shoe. Trail runners are best but regular running shoes are fine too. Hiking boots weigh too much and wear you out faster, plus they trap moisture from sweat inside your shoes making them more likely to cause blisters. The main thing with light shoes is to keep your pack light too. On an overnight trip my pack is about 18lbs, add 2 for every day in additional food. I never exceed 30lbs.

I am by no means an expert...as I said I've only done one two day hike. But I and another person wore running shoes (regular running shoes, not trail runners) because we didn't have any type of hiking books. The trail was very rocky and after a while we definitely felt the rocks through our running shoes. It became painful after several hours.

Also, we had light rain through much of the afternoon. Yes, this trip was brutal in many ways for me. Years later, my friend and I still refer to it as our Bataan Death March. The friend who organized the trip is not as amused by this as we are. LOL! Anyway, the running shoes gave us no traction on the wet rocks and I slipped and took a rather nasty fall at one point. No broken bones, Just bad scrapes and bumps and enough blood on the rocks to look like a murder scene.

After the fact, the others told us we shouldn't have worn running shoes.

I'm sure they might have been fine if the trail was mostly dirt, but on rock they were terrible. Just my experience.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Baby wipes are a really good idea! I'll def keep that in mind.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    PAtinCO wrote: »

I am by no means an expert...as I said I've only done one two day hike. But I and another person wore running shoes (regular running shoes, not trail runners) because we didn't have any type of hiking books. The trail was very rocky and after a while we definitely felt the rocks through our running shoes. It became painful after several hours.

Also, we had light rain through much of the afternoon. Yes, this trip was brutal in many ways for me. Years later, my friend and I still refer to it as our Bataan Death March. The friend who organized the trip is not as amused by this as we are. LOL! Anyway, the running shoes gave us no traction on the wet rocks and I slipped and took a rather nasty fall at one point. No broken bones, Just bad scrapes and bumps and enough blood on the rocks to look like a murder scene.

After the fact, the others told us we shouldn't have worn running shoes.

I'm sure they might have been fine if the trail was mostly dirt, but on rock they were terrible. Just my experience.

I'm sure different people have different results with them. Having said that, I do hike on really rocky trails including some of our 14,000 foot peaks here in Colorado. Watching where you step is key on those trails, as is having steady ankles. I do generally use trail runners though as they have better soles for wet rock and loose gravel.

As for wet feet, I've just learned not to mind them. I've found that wet feet are just a part of hiking. Whether you sweat from within or get wet from without, I almost always wind up with wet feet. With a running shoe and a merino wool sock, it'll usually dry out in about 20 minutes of walking, even after stepping up over my ankles (or knees) in a creek. Do that in a boot and it's still going to get wet, waterproof or not. It'll just take days to dry.

In the end, use what makes you most comfortable. From what I see, most people start with sturdier boots and move to trail runners as they progress and gain experience and strength. There might be something to be said for that.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Regular running shoes that are going to squish the foam and possibly throw you off balance is not good, plus all that movement can tire your ankles out.

There's a reason you shouldn't wear running shoes when lifting - bad stability, and waste of energy absorbed by shoe, possible injury.

I think those same issues apply out on the trail carrying a load.

Now - if you can go ultra light 18 lbs - sure, no problem - but up around 30 lbs, not so good.

But the trail runners and such designed for trail, have less padding, exactly for fact the ground is softer and by nature of trail running, you absorb more shock with your leg muscles, not bones - so they don't need as much.
    So they don't have the above problem.