How do you recover from have eaten everything in the house at breakfast time ...

Options
I am hungry today... I have eaten two packs of oat cakes, one yogurt and 50g of chocolate (dark) and had two milk coffees... I am recovering from binge eating (although I appreciate this sounds like a binge but it's overeating for me!) and now I have the rest of the day to go... I have probably had all my kcal but had 5 hours sleep last night and trying to think how I can feel self empowered and make a plan for the rest of the day. I can't miss meals as I m more likely to binge if I do this (I can only miss breakfast without bingeing ...and that hasn't happened today!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    All you can do is make better choices and move on.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just continue with your day as if you had a normal breakfast and don't think much of it. Forming a long term habit takes time and you are bound to have setbacks every once in a while. Not sleeping enough may have made you extra hungry, so move on and sleep better tonight starting with a more balanced breakfast (and lunch, and dinner) tomorrow. If this happens too often, then further investigation or maybe even seeking help may be warranted.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Log your food before you eat it.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oak cake are coming up as 50 kcals a piece so at most you should still be under 1000 kcals. How are you even close to your goal for the day?
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for responding. 6 oat cakes on a pack (12 x 50) + 350 kcal green and blacks (slightly over 50g guesstimate) + used one pint semi skimmed milk (not sure kcal) and Greek yogurt one pot (160 kcal) .... So think that brings me to about 1500 kcal (I think! Let me know if you think I have overestimated :-) ).

I think it's just hearing the words it's ok and move on, and focusing how to make myself feel motivated and encouraged so thank you all for replying xx
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tonight, get enough sleep. That will help you tremendously. Log your food the day before. :) That works for me.
    And when you mess up, you get back to the plan. No big deal.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy! :smile: Failing to eat what you should is part of a diet. Even the most dedicated people will slip and slide here and there, you can accept that. Don't panic just go on, like it was a regular meal and eat your regular portions for your next meals. Maybe be you won't lose weight today, but you can still lose more tomorrow. Don't subtract calories for tomorrow, just proceed like nothing happened.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    get rid f all the sugary foods, donate or something. Then do a food shop and buy healthy stuff. I bought jelly pots as a dessert IF i fancy a treat. low in fat and no so bad.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    onmyown70 wrote: »
    I am hungry today... I have eaten two packs of oat cakes, one yogurt and 50g of chocolate (dark) and had two milk coffees... I am recovering from binge eating (although I appreciate this sounds like a binge but it's overeating for me!) and now I have the rest of the day to go... I have probably had all my kcal but had 5 hours sleep last night and trying to think how I can feel self empowered and make a plan for the rest of the day. I can't miss meals as I m more likely to binge if I do this (I can only miss breakfast without bingeing ...and that hasn't happened today!

Exercise. Burn some of it off.

• FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    get some sleep i always binge when im tired!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    One thing you need to be careful of. That "I blew it" feeling can be very tricky and may tempt you to ruin the rest of your day. Don't let it happen. No use crying over spilled milk, but when you spill some of your milk you don't go and deliberately pour the rest of it into the sink. Try to combat that all-or-nothing mentality as much as you can and just continue your day as if you had a reasonable breakfast.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep... Prelogging in food diary helps me a lot.All decisions are made in advance from foods I have available. If I don't do that, I'm searching the pantry and fridge for a quick fix and it's rarely wise. Meanwhile just get right back on your plan...
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't race, it is a process that takes a lifestyle change and new mindset. That can be difficult but the beauty of it is the fact you can't fail unless you quit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Stop fretting, log it and move on. I would still eat a reasonably nutrutious meal today. New day tomorrow.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    timtakel wrote: »
    Easy peasy! :smile: Failing to eat what you should is part of a diet. Even the most dedicated people will slip and slide here and there, you can accept that. Don't panic just go on, like it was a regular meal and eat your regular portions for your next meals. Maybe be you won't lose weight today, but you can still lose more tomorrow. Don't subtract calories for tomorrow, just proceed like nothing happened.

Good advice :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Do a good workout, and for the rest of the day, eat lean proteins and nonstarchy vegetables.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd log it all and try to bring the day in at maintenance calories today making better plans for tomorrow.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Quite a lot of great advice above.

I just want to share my experience and solutions to give you something else to think about. I was/am a binge eater. From beginning 2014, i "quit" sweets. I have stuck to this since then. It has been and still is a wonderful way to live.

Its not that i never ever get to eat sweets. Its that in my day to day life, I never buy them, or prepare them. I only ever eat sweets in what i consider low risk situations. If someone offers me sweets, i accept but only one serve.

Having made the decision to quit sweets, i spent about the first three months, building the habit with avoiding temptation and focus on sweets. Actually that doesn't really explain it properly. But lets jsut say it was all about avoiding temptation and building commitment. It got a lot easier the more time went on though it was never particlarly difficult.

Not overeating is difficult when i am stressed or upset so i work at minimising these situations and resolving them as soon as i can. I do tend to put on weight when i go through those periods and then after its over, i go back to losing or maintaining again.

Having quit sweets, i have been able to eat more vegetables and focus on improving my day to day diet. I do not tend to eat a lot of other junk food so i don't need to worry about those. But when i am stressed, I might eat some of those other junkier type foods but i tend not to lose control with them like i do with sweets.

I have a lot of structure with the way i eat. If my day to day eating returns to a eating any old time, i will put on weight. If i can limit my eating to scheduled meals and snack times i do fine. Its not that i have to eat at hte same time each time. But i try to stick with three meals and fruit or something healthy in between when needed.

I avoid getting hungry.

So its key to being organised with your food and to choose healthy carbs for the most part (because the unhealthy ones do not satisfy). I always have my fridge stuffed with healthy food. Then its easy for me to find something quickly for dinner. I would recommend avoiding coming home tired from work and not having good food ready to eat.

Avoid lack of sleep. If you skip some hours and its affecting you, try to catch up asap.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You could go in the bathroom and throw up....now that you've (probably) decided you don't want to go down the path toward an eating disorder, spend a moment and think about whether there was an emotional trigger or were you genuinely physically hungry, and then work at making better choices next time.
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One thing you need to be careful of. That "I blew it" feeling can be very tricky and may tempt you to ruin the rest of your day. Don't let it happen. No use crying over spilled milk, but when you spill some of your milk you don't go and deliberately pour the rest of it into the sink. Try to combat that all-or-nothing mentality as much as you can and just continue your day as if you had a reasonable breakfast.

Love this.