What foods have you replaced? What have you eliminated?

Options
124»

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I cut out all the usual stuff...bread, sugary drinks, fast food and white starches but something that is really good is if you want to have a pasta dish with chicken for example. instead of pasta I use baby marrow cut with a potato peeler. makes for some good food.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Replaced:

Coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar
    with
    Coffee with 2 milk

McDonald's Bacon & Egg Bagel/Sausage Mcgriddle (4-500 calories)
    with
    Costco frozen egg white/turkey sausage breakfast sammiches (200 calories)

I've eliminated like... 95% of the fast food/junk food I used to eat. This includes potato chips, chocolate, candy, and most fast food. I'll still partake of the occasional treat. Yesterday I had a doughnut, for example. But I always do my research... that doughnut was about half the calories that a muffin would have been. Every once and a while I'll have a real egg mcmuffin for breakfast, it actually fits pretty well into my day, and sometimes I'll remove the cheese to make it even leaner.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I gave up not eating ice cream or gelato most nights? I haven't really changed how I eat by cutting things out, but instead, I've added a lot of things to my diet. I eat much smaller portions of the higher calorie things, and have added in more nutrient dense foods. I now have snacks of greek yogurt, a spoonful of peanut butter, etc. And with a moderate deficit, and good planning, I now find I can enjoy a single serving of gelato. I go for good quality, rich flavors, and I find I'm happy eating a single serving instead of an entire bowl or half a container.

I did give up low fat cottage cheese. I went back to try it a month or two ago, and it was horrible; I'm not sure how I used to enjoy it...
  • auddii
    Options
    JcMey3r wrote: »
    I cut out all the usual stuff...bread, sugary drinks, fast food and white starches but something that is really good is if you want to have a pasta dish with chicken for example. instead of pasta I use baby marrow cut with a potato peeler. makes for some good food.

I'm hoping this is a weird typo or a cultural difference in terms. Because I'm completely envisioning you sucking the bone marrow out of babies...
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I replaced regular full-sugar Coke with Coke Zero, and full-fat cheese for half-fat. I cut back on portion sizes in general and I gave up marshmallow fluff. One sandwich of fluff and peanut butter is just too many calories for a single snack, no matter how delicious it is.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i replaced muffins when I found out I could eat 2 donuts for the caloric "cost" of one muffin. and donuts taste indulgent at least!

i replaced full sugar coke with diet pop, iced tea, and water.

i replaced granola (so many calories, geez) for fiber one cereal.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated low quality foods. If I'm going to have something that packs a bit of a calorie punch, I'm going to have the good stuff dammit. So I stay away from cheap chocolate, average ice cream etc and splurge on the stuff that really satisfies my taste buds.

thank goodness I have a cheap sweet tooth. :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    JcMey3r wrote: »

I'm hoping this is a weird typo or a cultural difference in terms. Because I'm completely envisioning you sucking the bone marrow out of babies...

I'm pretty sure that's a British term for a kind of squash. Embarrassed to say I only know this from reading Agatha Christie books.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't replaced anything at all. I always ate fairly healthy, just plain too much of it! So now I eat all the same things, I just weigh and measure my portions.

I never, ever drink regular soda or juice, but I never did before so this isn't new. They always tasted too sweet to me and I never liked them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    None. I don't replace, I just figure out how to reach my macros/micros with foods I intend to eat. Now I do eat a lot of whole foods, but I do eat processed foods too along with fast food thrown in a few times a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ...in before the "it-doesn't-matter-what-you-eat-it's-all-about-how-much" whiners start in. I had to scratch donuts, cookies, soda's, white bread, white rice off my shopping list. Sometimes, self-control means knowing your weakness and avoiding them. You practice your moderation and I will practice my abstinence until I get a handle on things.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Nothing has been completely eliminated. Nothing at all.

Of course, I do eat less sugary sweets (donuts, cookies, cake, brownies, pie, etc.) than I once did. If there were people in the house other than my husband and me, I'd be more likely to buy these things and eat them in smaller portions more often, but I'm not going to waste my money on an entire package of Oreos just to watch them go bad before we can fit all of them into our macros. Plus, I'll be damned if I'm going to Just eat 2-3 Oreos as a "snack." If I'm going to eat Oreos, I want a whole sleeve or nothing. That's what fat kid weekends are for. :smile:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Baby marrow results when girdle sponges fail whilst commiserating with spotted dick. Makes me hungry for neeps and tatties and wet nelly.
  • auddii
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Baby marrow results when girdle sponges fail whilst commiserating with spotted dick. Makes me hungry for neeps and tatties and wet nelly.

I love neeps and tatties. Sadly, I've not had spotted dick. I need to remedy that when I go back to Scotland next year. I'm mostly looking forward to haggis for breakfast. Yum!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out anything.

I tend to focus on more protein dense foods and am mindful of the amount of 'discretionary' foods, but nothing has been eliminated. I occasionally replace low fat sour cream for mayo and often eat slow churn ice cream instead of full fat - but that's all I can think of that I replace.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've eliminated added sugar (cookies, cakes, ice cream, sweetened drinks, etc.) and wheat and most grains (bread, pasta, cereal, chips, etc.). I mostly eliminated potatoes and rice.

I've replaced:
    sugar for sweetening with fruit, stevia or xylitol.
    wheat flour in baking with coconut flour and almond flour.
    store bought salad dressings with lemon Dijon vinaigrette
    regular peanut butter with natural peanut butter (no added sugar)
    canola oil, corn oil, and all other oils with avocado oil or olive oil or coconut oil

I've increased consumption of almonds, full fat dairy, dark chocolate (72-85% cacao), eggs, chicken, salmon, green vegetables.

• kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    cross out peanut butter -> pb2
    cross out ice cream -> blended smoothies
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated deep fried foods... I wasnt really enjoying it anyways. I also dont drink any calories other than almond milk and wine, cause I prefer food
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Replaced
    Margarine with butter
    Skim milk with whole milk
    Nonfat yogurt with 2% yogurt
    Reduced fat cheeses with full fat cheeses
    Turkey bacon with bacon

I have eliminated everything that tastes like cardboard
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member