Low Cal Protein Powder?

Options
Everyone seems to be on a major protein powder kick and I want to join in! There are so many I have no idea which one to pick. The ones I looked at in the grocery store seem rather high in calories. What kind do you use? I suppose I will be using it mostly in shakes.

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey Isolate. They sell it at Walmart for $21.97 for a 2lb tub. 130 calories for 30 grams of protein. This is one of the best protein to calorie ratio. Isopure has an even better ratio of protein to calorie but is more expensive. Check each protein powder product your considering on how many grams of protein you get for the amount of caloires.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be on a major protein powder kick and I want to join in! There are so many I have no idea which one to pick. The ones I looked at in the grocery store seem rather high in calories. What kind do you use? I suppose I will be using it mostly in shakes.

why do you want more protein? if it's just because everyone else is wrong reason...I use it in the summer in my smoothies as I am not eating eggs and ham in the morning as I lift heavy and need it to help heal my muscles and it does keep you feeling fuller longer.

barring that I use Weider 90% vanilla 180 calories for 41 grams of protein per 50grams

If you want a good source make sure the calorie to protein ratio is at least 10:1...ie for every 10 calories there is at least 1 gram of protein..

• ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MTS Whey Protein, 150 calories. I usually mix with water, but recently started mixing with some unsweetened almond milk, which is 30 calories.

So 180 for my shake. Not too terrible. I usually have mine for breakfast or post-workout.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Cellucor and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein powders are usually 120-130 calories per serving. Dymatize ISO-100 is about 115 or so. I believe there's one out there that's about 80 calories per scoop, but that's because their serving size is smaller and, therefore, there is less protein in each serving. I'd say 120-130 is average unless you're using a gainer or something with a large serving size.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, I am not interested in it just because everyone else is. From what I read it may keep me fuller between breakfast and lunch and during my workouts. Thanks for the advice I'll keep the ratios in mind.
  • srbell3
    srbell3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not much to worry about with most protein powder. At a 130-150 cal per 35-40 grams of protein, pretty much all the calories are from the protein itself.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... within the next day or so I'll pick one up.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Body Fortress Whey Isolate. They sell it at Walmart for $21.97 for a 2lb tub. 130 calories for 30 grams of protein. This is one of the best protein to calorie ratio. Isopure has an even better ratio of protein to calorie but is more expensive. Check each protein powder product your considering on how many grams of protein you get for the amount of caloires.

This is the lowest calorie one I've found as well.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Lowest calories I've seen are the pure whey protein varieties. Nothing else but whey protein. I use this one...

http://tryabouttime.com/shop/2lb-whey-protein-isolate/

100 calories. 25g of protein. Nothing else.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My fav is body logix - 122cals, 24g protein.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be on a major protein powder kick and I want to join in!

Why?
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition gold standard whey is what i use, low cal/carb, high protein, give it a go :smile:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Now if only there was a consensus on how much protein you need.

Most days I think I get enough protein through milk eggs chicken yogurt etc but I'm not like some hard core body builder lifting 400kg etc so I probably don't need a whole lot.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gold standard and grenade I use :)
  • malsipos
    malsipos Posts: 9
    Options
    Fitshop.ca sells a line called "fitmiss" low calorie lean protein geared to women. Not sure where else it is sold.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love perfect fit 70 cals 15 grams protein. Organic and with almond milk and ice its only 105 cals for a very filling treat
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Now if only there was a consensus on how much protein you need.

Most days I think I get enough protein through milk eggs chicken yogurt etc but I'm not like some hard core body builder lifting 400kg etc so I probably don't need a whole lot.

There is a consensus. It's .8g per kg body weight. Many people also recommend 1g per pound, which is what I found works better for me, as someone who works out 5x per week.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    malsipos wrote: »
    Fitshop.ca sells a line called "fitmiss" low calorie lean protein geared to women. Not sure where else it is sold.

Well, it's not any better than just plain old 100% whey protein. I mean, protein itself is 4kcal per gram, so you won't see any lower calorie values than that. Ever.

When I look at FitMiss it actually has a really bad protein to calorie ratio. A serving has 90 calories and only 16g of protein. That's 64kcal of protein... so there are a lot of excess calories in there. Something to think about. I don't recommend this product at all.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fitmiss/delight.html?mcid=GGL_US_Products-Products_FitMiss_Delight&bbkwid=61524269810&gclid=CjwKEAjwo5OpBRDU64qO07OXq00SJADn5hYndislAqAto9KoCIQpAQkI-4ZDHBGpl8ObcUsL7vWXFBoCprvw_wcB
  • JoAnn132010
    JoAnn132010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Friends, I usually don't do things like this but I had to share this so that maybe somebody out there will get to benefit the same way that I have. I have been trying Fitmiss Delight Cookies and Cream protein powder. They also have flavors such as Banana Cream, Strawberries and Cream, Vanilla Chai, and Chocolate. It only has 90 calories per scoop and I like to mix mine in a blender with Vanilla or Chocolate Silk Almond Milk. I stay full for hours off of this stuff and it is specially formulated for women's bodies. It gets to the point where I have to make myself eat to fulfill my daily needed calories and even then I accidentally fall short. The Cookie's and Cream that I have literally taste like a Hershey's Cookie's and Cream candy bar and I had to recheck the label and research the protein powder again just to make sure it really did have 90 calories per scoop because I couldn't believe it. I am addicted to this stuff and can easily do two replacement shakes and maybe even replace every meal but I know my body needs whole foods at least one meal a day. I also take One A Day Women's Metabolism Booster just to get any extra vitamins I might miss from my one meal a day and protein shakes. Seriously I am a skeptic with most things but this truly works and I have problems with cravings but this gets rid of them because I get my sweet fix as well as the protein slowly digesting to keep me fuller for longer. You can get the stuff at Walgreens, Ebay, Online, anywhere really and it is totally worth it!! : ) If anybody tries it please let me know your experience with it because I'm in love with it myself!!!!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Vanilla. I only use it on days where I know I won't be meeting my protein goal. For me personally I don't like to drink them for breakfast because they don't hold me over long enough. I eat breakfast at 6am and lunch at 12. If I do drink them for breakfast it's on a day off from work since I wake up later.