Sugary Drinks CAN cause Diabetes ?!?

Options
A new study shows that sugary drinks (sweet tea, energy, soda) can increase your chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes by 18% per beverage per day. SOOOO for you soda drinkers out there this means 3 cokes a day could increase your risk by as much as 54%. That is a super scary # when you consider that Diabetes is the leading cause of amputations, blindness and kidney disease in the developed world.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Link?
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Interesting first post
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Link? If someone drinks 3 regular sodas a day, that is like 900 calories of soda. That is a good amount of calories to drink.

So it could be... increased calories --> increases chances of being obese --> increase chance of diabetes..
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the link too. Is this just a correlation? Because I could believe that.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    oh reeeeallly?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think this might be what she's referring to:

Friendly news article version: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/replacing-one-sugary-drink-per-day-could-cut-risk-of-type-2-diabetes

Down and dirty science version: http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/OConnor.pdf
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    too much of any sugar can increase your risk of diabetes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Link? If someone drinks 3 regular sodas a day, that is like 900 calories of soda. That is a good amount of calories to drink.

So it could be... increased calories --> increases chances of being obese --> increase chance of diabetes..

They "corrected" for overweight, apparently.

Three 330 ml cans of coca cola in the UK are 105g of sugar and 420 cals so "regular" might be a bit flexible

The vague epidemiology also concluded that it would be unwise to substitute fruit juice or artificially sweetened soda as these showed some tendency to increase diabetes risk too.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

QFT
  • psuLemon
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

They "corrected" for overweight, apparently.

Three 330 ml cans of coca cola in the UK are 105g of sugar and 420 cals so "regular" might be a bit flexible

The vague epidemiology also concluded that it would be unwise to substitute fruit juice or artificially sweetened soda as these showed some tendency to increase diabetes risk too.

If it's the same ones at @kgeyser posted, I will have to read those.

But when I think soda, I automatically think 20oz because it's common in the US.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Do you mean this study?

Inter-Act
  • yarwell
    edited July 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Do you mean this study?

Inter-Act

that's older work from the same study - it will interest Americans to see a median soda consumption of zero I'm sure ;-)

kgeyser has the right links for the current news story, it uses 336 grams as a "serving" of SSB which would be a European sized can
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Too much sugar doesn't increase your risk of diabetes. Too many calories causing overweight/obesity increases risk of diabetes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Do you mean this study?

Inter-Act

that's older work from the same study - it will interest Americans to see a median soda consumption of zero I'm sure ;-)

kgeyser has the right links for the current news story.

Ha!

Thanks for letting me know.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »

Too much sugar doesn't increase your risk of diabetes. Too many calories causing overweight/obesity increases risk of diabetes.

My Doctor must have lied to me then, because I asked him about eating too much sugar, even in fruits and he told me too much can cause diabetes so try cut it down.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

My Doctor must have lied to me then, because I asked him about eating too much sugar, even in fruits and he told me too much can cause diabetes so try cut it down.

But how much is too much? Did your doctor say? I am curious about this because my dad has developed diabetes and before my donation surgery, they did so much testing to see if I was likely to develop diabetes when I get older. Thanks. Oh and my dad is not even close to being overweight...

• psuLemon
    edited July 2015
    Options

There are some links that sugary drinks cause diabetes, but I would ask, is it the sugary drinks or is it the obesity. The bigger issue, sugary drinks have a lot of calories and don't provide much nutrition and doesn't fill you up, making it very easy to increase caloric intake.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ignore me - I'm not getting involved
  • yarwell
    Options
    "In the new study, the authors also found that if study participants had replaced a habitual daily 330ml serving of soft drinks with a serving of water or unsweetened tea or coffee, the risk of diabetes could have been cut by 14% - See more at: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/replacing-one-sugary-drink-per-day-could-cut-risk-of-type-2-diabetes#sthash.szWBKLSR.dpuf "