What was your 'I finally need to lose this weight' moment? (And was it as bad as mine?)

Options

Replies

• Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine was probably a small reason too. I could barely get my jeans up after washing them for about 6 to 8 weeks straight and I had gotten a little too big for some of my outfits. I was running out of clothes that had fit me my whole life and I was terrified each time that I washed those jeans that the next time I washed them they would get stuck at my thighs. The day I had to force them on with everything I had was the last straw and I started working out and watching what I ate the next day.
  • dunnie2010
    dunnie2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was a Division I volleyball player. After college I kept eating as if I still was working out for 4 hours a day. Needless to say all that muscle slowly turned to flab. I looked down one day and could see cellulite on the tops of my thighs. No thanks....and here I am today 13lbs lighter and another 10ish to go.
  • daizyk70
    daizyk70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "you definitely need a more fit bird sat in the front.'

Bird means something else in the states and that's exactly what I would have given those wankers that insulted you.

My moment came when I got pneumonia this past winter. I didn't bounce right back like I usually do and it scared me. I knew I needed to make some serious changes for my health.
  • cwkwkw2
    cwkwkw2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I could not wear my "work" clothes (fitted/nice quality) and had to wear "play" clothes (loose/cheap) to my job...I felt sloppy, unprofessional and fat.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm now a size 18 tall and the pants that fit me best are from Lane Bryant. I was a 16L and swore I'd never go higher than that. After about 2 weeks I'm down 4 lbs - gotta start somewhere!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    erasure999 wrote: »
    I was at 277lbs and just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I knew I was destined to get it as this all ran in my family, but I told myself that I don't believe in that non-sense and didn't want to be one of those people who have to take medication everyday.

So I changed up my heating habits, cut out all the processed foods and started running...running my *kitten* off! So far, over the past year and a half I've lost over 75lbs and now am no longer diabetic. My doctor was flabbergasted at each of my 3 month check-ups and said he's never been more proud of a patient then he was with me. I no longer take any medications.

Good for you!!! That's awesome!!!
  • mommyof4ne
    mommyof4ne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love to take pictures of my children, but do not want to be in any of those pictures. This past week relatives were in town and after seeing those photos- I have decided that I cannot graduate next Spring looking like I do!!!! I have spent the last 8 years going to school(Bachelors and Masters) and will graduate with my masters degree. To celebrate we are going on a cruise in October 2016... definitely want to be in swimsuit shape.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Pure vanity. I was never in the overweight BMI range. My ex left me for a woman half my age and twice my size. I quit smoking, got a new job, and started getting "secretary spread" from enjoying the yummy treats in the office. Went up to the next size in jeans. . . noticed a new muffin top and some back fat folds. . . and all I could think was "dear lord, I'm going to end up looking like her. Joined MFP, dropped 19 pounds in a year. I'm sticking with MFP to keep it off.
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Most of my family had it and I knew the moment would come for me. My A1C was 7.1. I've lost 53 pounds and at last doctor check my A1C was 5.8. I don't think my doc is accustomed to having this response in his patients!
  • MakkieXO
    MakkieXO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I couldn't fit into any of my clothes except hoodies and sweatpants. End of year school pictures- I looked like a swollen amoeba. :D
  • abbyandbellasmommy14
    Options
    When I saw myself in a picture from vacation:( I looked horrible. Also when I didn't have anything cute to wear because nothing fit me!!! Enough was enough! I have finally fit back into my size 14 jeans today:) and I can breathe:) continuing on ;)
  • Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    daizyk70 wrote: »
    "you definitely need a more fit bird sat in the front.'

Bird means something else in the states and that's exactly what I would have given those wankers that insulted you'

Ah I have heard of 'flipping the bird' before! In England we call it simply 'the finger' lol Funny how we have different names for it when we speak the same language. I wonder why it's called 'the bird' though, where did that slang come from?

Well done on starting your journey and making a change!
  • JaiLieu
    JaiLieu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I stepped on the scale (after about a year of ignoring how much I was eating my depression) and it read 296! I said to myself "there is no way I can allow myself to be 300lbs!" I'd gotten to a size 22...was uncomfortable in high heels...no energy...skin troubles. And on top of all the vanity stuff, both of my parents had just been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I said no way, not me. I made a commitment down a long hard road (with lots of bumps) but i'm finally a quarter of the way to my goal. I feel much better about myself these days and I can't wait to see where I am a year from now :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A bunch of things. Even though I had my 3rd child months before, people were asking me if I was pregnant again. I wouldn't willingly get in any pictures, I hated the way I looked and felt. I realized I was tired of being the fat mom.

So no one specific thing, just got tired of it all and knew it was time to make some changes.
  • akayek31
    akayek31 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My moment was at the Dr. Getting my yearly check up for meds. I got on the scale and I weighed over 300 pounds. It was 307 to be exact. The doctor had been telling me for yrs I needed to lose weight. He didn't yell at me this time. He told me I was to nice of a lady to die from my weight. After I left I thought about my dad who died in 2004 and set off this weight gain. And I thought he was worried about my weight then and wondered what he would think now. Plus I want to be around for grandkids. So basically being 307 was my moment. I am down 33 pounds :). My dr doesn't even know I listened this time. He will be so proud in September when he sees me!
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was in a photo with my "fat friend" and I was almost as fat.
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 50 # overweight (and that's to the high end of my bmi). I have two beautiful children ( 7 and 5) I lost a lot after my son was born, but then I went back to school and I was working, so I put it all back on and then some. I've been trying to get it back off, bit not as hard as I should have been. Two weeks ago I found out I had a miscarriage. No one will say it, not even my doctor, but I blame my weight. DH wants to try again as soon as we get the all clear, but I haven't even figured out how to be human again, let alone anything else. I have to lose this weight so I can try again, and this time do it better, be healthier.
    Ok, that's super depressing. Sorry. It's an incredible motivator for me though. I don't think I'd make it through this again.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    A few years back my picture, a full body shot, was posted on the front of the local paper. That picture shocked me and made me realize how much I needed to lose weight. For some reason, sometimes we can look in the mirror and do not see ourselves as we really are. I knew of course I was way too heavy, but the picture made me realize how much.

I took that front page and laminated it after I lost some of the weight, as a sign I would never let myself get that heavy again.

Since then I have lost 57 pounds, including the 32 I have lost in the last year with MFP. Still have a ways to go though. I look better than I have in decades!

70044776.png
  • gemma280
    gemma280 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine was going from a size 16 to a size 20 in the space of 6 months, gaining about 40lbs in that time frame and because of that my body developed a later diagnosed gluten allergy that landed me in hospital on the emergency surgery ward because I was so unwell. That day was the day I knew I had to change.

Also those guys were jerks and I have no idea how you didn't tear them a new one
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump