what's the fastest way to lose weight?

Options
I usually lose alot of weight the 1st week or two of dieting and then it slows down. any tips on how to keep my weight loss at the same pace?

thanks!

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race. fast weight loss is not a good idea.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is the weigh to do it because if you loose it fast and dont maintain it like the people on biggest looser you will gain more weight and then some
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    What you lose in those first 2 weeks is mainly water, not fat, and it is not possible to keep up that rate of 'weight' loss. You need to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat, so for most people it is most realistic to shott for a loss of 1-2 pounds per week. In addition, unless you are extremely obese and under a doctor's supervision, losing faster than this can lead to serious health problems. Sorry, there aren't any magic miracles or shortcuts.
  • mykaanderson
    Options
    Your body changes all the time and I have times where I drop then times I don't, in the end ther is no fast solution, it's a lifestyle.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Aim to lose between 1 and 2 pounds in a week. At first, the weight loss is usually water weight anyway. Drink lots of water and stick to the plan! As you get closer to your goal, you will lose less and less weight per week, and many even suggest lowering your goal in MFP to 0.5 lb a week.

Good luck!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it's possible (or wise) to keep at the initual pace. Why? At least for me, most of the weight I lose in the first week is water weight. Unless you're holding onto a lot of water, your pace is going to slow down drastically, as it should. "Weight loss is NOT a sprint, it's a marathon!"
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    dammnit that sucks lol
  • jamelynm
    jamelynm Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with all the posts :)

If you find yourself working out regularly and eating the same as you did before, but you cannot lose weight, try changing your workout routine. If you are a runner, try some aerobics. If you usually do yoga, try some plyometrics.

Our bodies tend to get used to our workout routines and enter a plateau phase. So challenge you body and amp up your metabolism by constantly changing the TYPE of workout you do.

Good Luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what program you're on, your body will adjust and thus slow the weight loss.

Unless you want to do something unhealthy like stop eating you just have to accept it. It is what it is.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Don't worry, we've all been in your shoes at one time or 100 times asking the fateful question..."what's the best way to lose weight fast??"

Unfortunately there is no magic pill, no magic meals, no trendy exercise dvd...Just be patient in the process and put in the work...You'll see results! In addition to seeing results at a slower rate, you'll keep it off longer!

I'm sure you've heard all of this before but look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you're worth the hardwork, sweat, tears, to becoming a healthier you...however whether we all like it or not, it's going to take some time!

God bless
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The first week you tend to lose a good portion of the excess water weight you've been carrying around which explains the seemingly super fast weight loss.

It's not very realistic or healthy to expect to continue losing weight that fast.

If you have a lot of weight to lose aim for 2 pounds a week. Some weeks you may surprise yourself and lose 3 - 5. When I was 220 pounds it was a lot easier to have weeks like this.

Once you get within 20 - 30 pounds of your goal weight though it's really going to slow down. You should be aiming for 1 pound a week and expect anything from a weight gain to a 2 pound loss at most.
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    i've found upping my workout routine helps at least keep the weight loss goin...i guess i just need to listen to my body
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    BE consistent. Research foods. Have a positive attitude. Don't stop anything "cold turkey," let your eating change gradually. Practice portion control and participate in exercises you enjoy.