How did you all like Extreme Makeover Weight Edition?

Options
Did any of you watch extreme makeover for the morbidly obese on ABC?

How did you like it on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being the best?

It was disappointing but OK. I give it a 5 because he did all of mechanics of throwing out food, exercising, making the home a safe environment, etc but they did not show the mental side of morbid obesity. If they addressed food addiction or compulsive overeating it was not shown and anyone who is morbidly obese has a level of food addiction, especially the super morbidly obese.

When she only lost 3 pounds was a perfect opportunity to deal with the food addiction aspect of obesity, but they just sort of shoo shooed over it or it was cut out of it.

I find many including many on MFP are at a loss of things to say to help ones struggling with food addiction also. I understand it because if you don’t have a food addiction you would not understand it.

If this trainer is helping the extremely obese I would think he would have something to say to the 3 pounds lost when she explained how she was eating even though she was exercising. They did not even show him probing her to see what happened in the 3 months. They may have did it but it was not shown.

I also felt for a 21 year old she did not have enough excess skin to have a surgery for excess skin. Then they never came back to that either to say how much excess skin she had removed. I feel they did not do that because she did not have that much excess skin to remove and he (the trainer and doctor) knew it too. Anyone who has researched it knows better.

I guess bottom line is after watching Heavy (A&E) and how they showed more aspects of the mental issues this reality weight show was boring for me and IF Hawaii 5-0 was not re-runs I would be watching CBS. Even the Biggest Loser (NBC) deals more and more with the mental aspect of obesity as the seasons go on. I will be surprised if this show has a 2nd season.

What do you give it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Replies

• MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A LITTLE BETTER ALSO...... ID SAY 5 - N YEA WHEN THEY SAID 3 I THOUGHT I WAS TRIPPEN LIKE REALLY & THEN IT WAS ALL PEACHY IM LIKE WHAT??
  • got2go2concerts
    got2go2concerts Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I watched it.. I liked it but agree she didn't need the surgery yet. She did great on her weight loss, but seems at bit fast for the amount she lost? I just love the Biggest Loser and hate that Jillian left, but still a great show. I like the new show just to see the transformation. I give it a 6 also.....
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I really liked it!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I watched it.. I liked it but agree she didn't need the surgery yet. She did great on her weight loss, but seems at bit fast for the amount she lost? I just love the Biggest Loser and hate that Jillian left, but still a great show. I like the new show just to see the transformation. I give it a 6 also.....

I hate Jillian is leaving too! When she left before the show did not do as well. I do like these 2 new trainers better than the Kim lady they replaced Jillian with before for a year.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not even sure I'd give it a 1. I was really disappointed, but from the commercials I wasn't sure I would like it anyways.
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Options
    It comes on in an hour for me - so I don't know yet....
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I liked it. It's a review of what happened over a year. Sure we missed a lot. It was a 60 minute show. I think it's an incredible opportunity and it was nice to kick off with someone who was so grateful and positive. She admitted to being able to work out but having issues with food moderation.

I found him to be very compassionate ... understanding ... yet holding her to her goals.

Again, I liked it.

I also will miss Jillian on TBL. Hopefully, she will come back after she adopts. I missed the majority of this last season [ironically, I was at the gym, "living it" but missed it on tv]. What I DID see.. I liked.. it's the only show I know what day/time it comes on. :)
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    It was ok I was lookin for more imformation like u guys said when she lost that three pounds u would think that they would teach the viewers about the over eattin and takin short cuts because when u are really over weight u have an addiction and yes its to "food" but it still can kill u like drugs and alchol i mean they worry about our kids in the USA being over weight i feel that parents need the education alot of time just like me i have three kids two r healthy but my baby who is ten is the same size as his thriteen yr old brother and has alittle belly. And with me im a real bad emotional eatter and its not good food i eat and he sometime ate with me but now with the help of mfp and the people on here i have learned alot about taken care of my family they really need shows to go into the real problems we face bein over weight and i mean 100 pds or more Hopefully it gets better.
  • ellennow
    ellennow Posts: 568
    Options
    Mollie, I watched it too and concurred with your comments. The best show I have seen that dealt with the addition part was "Addicted to Food" on the Own network. It was really good. Of course we got just snip-its but it really showed a group a folks dealing with the issues.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I give it a 7. I think what he is trying to do for obese poeple is amazing. I do think the surgery was un-necessary and she could of toned it herself and I dont think she should have been rewarded for NOT reaching the goals set for her. For the most part I really enjoyed it. I hope it gets better with time!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Mollie, I watched it too and concurred with your comments. The best show I have seen that dealt with the addition part was "Addicted to Food" on the Own network. It was really good. Of course we got just snip-its but it really showed a group a folks dealing with the issues.

Ellen,
    I will try to catch this show on line now that all my shows are gone off now for the summer. I did look at it briefly but I did notice all the shows in their entirety are not online. Only the 1st one. I heard the show was awesome! Thanks for reminding me.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Mollie.I agree.The 3 lbs should have been an opportunity for the trainer to ask why and focus on that.I don`t think she needed the surgery either.
    jane
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just finished watching it this morning and was sooo looking forward to another cool transformation show....but was sadly disappointed :cry: I was hoping for something more like Jillian Michaels' show that was on for a short time "Losing it w/ Jillian" She really weant into the emotional changes needed to fix the core of the problem and showed more of the actual workouts. She also did more work with the support system and showed those transformations on that show.
    I think they really just packed too much time into a short show. It's nice for those who just want to see the end result I guess, but I would like to see more of the "how" in between the before and after. And that 3 month period w/ only 3 pound loss!! That was hardly even addressed! But yet they still sent her for surgery!!! WTH!! :noway:
    I think Chris is awesome with his history of helping people, but the way they put the show together was just not my style I guess. I like the show "Heavy" as well (but not so much the ones taped at Hilton Head, lol)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One thing I did like about it was that it showed that a woman can look and feel great, and be healthy, without being under 120 pounds. She looked fantastic, and I never would have guessed she was still over 200 pounds.

I wish more of these shows focused more on body fat percentage or inches lost rather than the number on the scale. Or other health-based goals, like being able to run a 5k when they couldn't walk across the street before, or having a healthy resting heart rate, or lowering cholesterol or blood glucose. Pounds lost is just one small aspect of it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I just finished watching it this morning and was sooo looking forward to another cool transformation show....but was sadly disappointed :cry: I was hoping for something more like Jillian Michaels' show that was on for a short time "Losing it w/ Jillian" She really weant into the emotional changes needed to fix the core of the problem and showed more of the actual workouts. She also did more work with the support system and showed those transformations on that show.
    I think they really just packed too much time into a short show. It's nice for those who just want to see the end result I guess, but I would like to see more of the "how" in between the before and after. And that 3 month period w/ only 3 pound loss!! That was hardly even addressed! But yet they still sent her for surgery!!! WTH!! :noway:
    I think Chris is awesome with his history of helping people, but the way they put the show together was just not my style I guess. I like the show "Heavy" as well (but not so much the ones taped at Hilton Head, lol)

I forgot about Jillian's show and that was definitely a good show too. I wonder is it coming back on this year.

I agree that the shows at the Hilton Head for Heavy was not as good as the other clinic they used but they still covered more on the addiction side of obesity.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I saw the lady on GMA this morning and she does look marveolous and I will be praying the she keeps the weight off successfully!
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have not seen it yet but might check it out online, Im suprised to hear it was not better since it was delevoped by the same ppl who are doing Biggest Loser.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch it all, but I didn't like it. A year is a lot to cram into one hour, which is probably why you thought it was skimming over so much, and not focusing on the mental side. It was a good transformation though.
    I also felt for a 21 year old she did not have enough excess skin to have a surgery for excess skin. Then they never came back to that either to say how much excess skin she had removed. I feel they did not do that because she did not have that much excess skin to remove and he (the trainer and doctor) knew it too. Anyone who has researched it knows better.
    It was the fact that she was going to have the surgery that I liked the least, and that's when I stopped really watching the show. Her arms weren't even that bad, and Courtney from TBL had more extra skin than her. Before I knew her age, I thought she was a lot older... Being so young, I can't believe she was even going for surgery. Oh society...
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I didn't watch it all, but I didn't like it. A year is a lot to cram into one hour, which is probably why you thought it was skimming over so much, and not focusing on the mental side. It was a good transformation though.
    It was the fact that she was going to have the surgery that I liked the least, and that's when I stopped really watching the show. Her arms weren't even that bad, and Courtney from TBL had more extra skin than her. Before I knew her age, I thought she was a lot older... Being so young, I can't believe she was even going for surgery. Oh society...

When you have these type of shows the editing is very important and the edit on here was not good because the content was not enough for me since I am well versed on a lot the stuff. I agree about Courtney on TBL. She will definitely need some excess skin surgeries and Arthur if he continues to lose will need it to but I thought this girl looked awesome as far as her skin went and I wish my arms werer like hers! lol!! I have true bat wings. I will not even wear anything sleeveless especially when I am going dancing. Not a pretty site! lol!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Are you all ready for the 2nd show?