Fed up challenge

Options
so in trying to eat absolutely no added sugars and I'm only on day three of this life style change and I don't have many good recipes that don't have any sugar.
There are a few I love like roasted eggplant and salsa, baked peppers, asparagus, seafood and stuff like that. I just want some more things to try out :) anyone have any good ideas or tips? Maybe some things I should try out that don't have added sugars (like some things to replace bread other than wraps). :)
Thank you.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add more oil -- Make a cucumber salad with avocado and feta cheese.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You could try Kalyn's Kitchen recipes - she has a lot of really good low carb recipes.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lol yea follow a food challenge based on a terrible documentary that's based on bad science. That'll end well haha
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I haven't given up sugar. I only lost 60 pounds, maybe giving up sugar would have worked better?

Don't demonize any food, there is no good or bad, only over consumption.
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    PatriciaMcCamley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Lol yea follow a food challenge based on a terrible documentary that's based on bad science. That'll end well haha

I am simply cutting out added sugar, I titled this "fed up challenge" because I thought that it's similar to what I'm doing. Sugars are not benefiting my health so why keep them? I am not actually doing it as a challenge type thing, I am just wanting to get rid of sugars because I think I can benefit from not eating crap. There is no reason to comment on here with your negativity.
    You don't have to cut out sugars, I'm not telling you what I think you should and shouldn't do with your diet so why are you commenting on here telling me it's a bad idea?
    I would be okay with you telling me why sugar is good for me but if you don't give me legitimate feed back that can help me than I have no interest. So please tell me why is cutting sugar bad? How does my body gain anything from it? I eat fruit so I have natural sugars, but I don't understand why I shouldn't cut them out.

• PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    You could try Kalyn's Kitchen recipes - she has a lot of really good low carb recipes.

Thank you :) I'll be sure to check her stuff out.
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Add more oil -- Make a cucumber salad with avocado and feta cheese.
    I love cucumber salad, feta cheese in it sounds like a great idea.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't have many good recipes that don't have any sugar.

I don't understand this. Do you actually add sugar to your savory meals?

My normal cooking is a protein source (meat, usually), a starch, and various veggies combined in some way. Often just dull like roasted chicken with some roasted potatoes and green beans plus cauliflower and mushrooms, or salmon with corn and asparagus, but sometimes a pasta with a homemade sauce -- this could be a meat sauce with tomatoes, lean ground beef, lots of veg (I never add sugar) or something simpler like vegetables and shrimp sauteed in olive oil. Maybe a stirfry with sauteed veggies and tofu (or chicken or beef) and rice. On and on, but none of this would ever call for sugar.

I gave up added sugar for a month (it didn't make much difference for me, as it happened, so now I eat it in moderation -- and it wasn't due to Fed Up, which I've heard horrible things about). Anyway, since I never actually add sugar to things (I usually don't even own any), this simply meant not eating sweets/desserts and replacing it with cheese or the like, not eating flavored yogurt (a habit I've mostly kept) and checking sauces or foods purchased elsewhere (which for me wasn't a big thing since I don't use a lot of purchased sauces and dislike ketchup--it basically meant not using some spicy sauces).

Oh, I suppose if you got packaged bread you'd have to try and find a replacement or give it up. I don't do a lot of bread except if I buy a sandwich, so that was easy to give up for a period of time.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You can try these sites:

www.rippedrecipes.com

www.proteinpow.com

Some ideas for you. Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Onions are very sweet. Fruits, especially berries, are sweet.

Buy herbs and spices - fresh when you can - and learn to experiment with flavor. Your taste buds will learn to like new things. :)
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cooking with fruit, if that's acceptable, is a good idea.

Pork chops with apples, onions, and sauerkraut is great -- or apples and something else if you prefer.

Beef (or venion or duck) with cherries.

I've been doing lots with rhubarb in savory food, although that's not sweet!

I was assuming that you used herbs and spices already, but of course you should do that.

For taste, goat cheese or feta cheese or olives can add a ton of flavor (as can some jalapenos or other pepper).
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

My normal cooking is a protein source (meat, usually), a starch, and various veggies combined in some way. Often just dull like roasted chicken with some roasted potatoes and green beans plus cauliflower and mushrooms, or salmon with corn and asparagus, but sometimes a pasta with a homemade sauce -- this could be a meat sauce with tomatoes, lean ground beef, lots of veg (I never add sugar) or something simpler like vegetables and shrimp sauteed in olive oil. Maybe a stirfry with sauteed veggies and tofu (or chicken or beef) and rice. On and on, but none of this would ever call for sugar.

I gave up added sugar for a month (it didn't make much difference for me, as it happened, so now I eat it in moderation -- and it wasn't due to Fed Up, which I've heard horrible things about). Anyway, since I never actually add sugar to things (I usually don't even own any), this simply meant not eating sweets/desserts and replacing it with cheese or the like, not eating flavored yogurt (a habit I've mostly kept) and checking sauces or foods purchased elsewhere (which for me wasn't a big thing since I don't use a lot of purchased sauces and dislike ketchup--it basically meant not using some spicy sauces).

Oh, I suppose if you got packaged bread you'd have to try and find a replacement or give it up. I don't do a lot of bread except if I buy a sandwich, so that was easy to give up for a period of time.

Well I work a whole lot so I want things that aren't too time consuming and maybe some ideas of things that just don't have sugar in it. I'd have to make the sauce my scratch cuz I only can find sauce that has added sugars in it.
    Many people have some great ideas that even though simple I just never thought of. I been making up a lot of stuff when cooking cuz lots of recipes use things that have sugar. I use to eat a lot of sandwiches, they are quick and easy to make. I found really good wraps though that don't have sugar, I was just seeing any ideas everyone else had on here.
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Onions are very sweet. Fruits, especially berries, are sweet.

Buy herbs and spices - fresh when you can - and learn to experiment with flavor. Your taste buds will learn to like new things. :)
    Thank you :)
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You can try these sites:

www.rippedrecipes.com

www.proteinpow.com

Some ideas for you. Good luck.

Thank you very much, I'll save these so I can check them out tonight.
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options
    I haven't given up sugar. I only lost 60 pounds, maybe giving up sugar would have worked better?

Don't demonize any food, there is no good or bad, only over consumption.
    Well I have natural sugars from fruit, but I don't want any added sugars that I have not found to benefit me at all.
    It may help you lose weight, 60lbs is amazing though. Great job on that accomplishment :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Well I work a whole lot so I want things that aren't too time consuming and maybe some ideas of things that just don't have sugar in it. I'd have to make the sauce my scratch cuz I only can find sauce that has added sugars in it.
    Many people have some great ideas that even though simple I just never thought of. I been making up a lot of stuff when cooking cuz lots of recipes use things that have sugar. I use to eat a lot of sandwiches, they are quick and easy to make. I found really good wraps though that don't have sugar, I was just seeing any ideas everyone else had on here.

I am a super fast cook but always make sauce from scratch (or just with canned tomatoes if doing that kind of tomato sauce), because I just don't think the storebought ones taste good.

A good internet site for food ideas is 101cookbooks.com, and if you are interested in a basic cook book that uses whole foods and no sugar that I can think of (I actually think it's the rare recipe I've seen that uses sugar), try Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

It's really and truly hard to get simpler than the kinds of meals I mentioned in my first post, and none of them would involve any sugar.
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    Options

I am a super fast cook but always make sauce from scratch (or just with canned tomatoes if doing that kind of tomato sauce), because I just don't think the storebought ones taste good.

A good internet site for food ideas is 101cookbooks.com, and if you are interested in a basic cook book that uses whole foods and no sugar that I can think of (I actually think it's the rare recipe I've seen that uses sugar), try Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

It's really and truly hard to get simpler than the kinds of meals I mentioned in my first post, and none of them would involve any sugar.

Thank you :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

I am simply cutting out added sugar, I titled this "fed up challenge" because I thought that it's similar to what I'm doing. Sugars are not benefiting my health so why keep them? I am not actually doing it as a challenge type thing, I am just wanting to get rid of sugars because I think I can benefit from not eating crap. There is no reason to comment on here with your negativity.
    You don't have to cut out sugars, I'm not telling you what I think you should and shouldn't do with your diet so why are you commenting on here telling me it's a bad idea?
    I would be okay with you telling me why sugar is good for me but if you don't give me legitimate feed back that can help me than I have no interest. So please tell me why is cutting sugar bad? How does my body gain anything from it? I eat fruit so I have natural sugars, but I don't understand why I shouldn't cut them out.

First off, calling anything with added sugars "crap" is extremely ignorant of nutrition as a whole.

To answer your question, cutting should only be done if it must be done. The reason for this is that restrictive diets are inherently troublesome. Unless you legitimately plan to completely avoid "added sugars" for the rest of your life, then don't restrict them now. What happens when you do that is that when you inevitably eat something sweet like a cookie or a brownie or chocolate, you will binge and you will binge hard. It happens to everyone that tries to eliminate sugar from their diet and it will happen to you. The amount of time it takes varies based on willpower but it will happen. You develop unhealthy eating habits and what started as a challenge becomes unhealthy. If you stop treating sugar like something that's unhealthy and start treating it like what it actually is (an extremely efficient fuel source) then maybe you might have a better relationship with it. Sugar is not bad, insulin is not bad. If you're eating at maintenance or in a deficit, sugar does not cause fat gain, it restores glycogen in the muscles and liver. As far as your natural sugars, do you really think they are different on a molecular level than "added sugars". Your body recognizes and responds to them in the same way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The problem with added sugar is the calories . It's excess calories that leads to excess weight and associated health conditions

It's not the sugar per se unless you are diabetic / have a medical condition and even then it's tracking not elimination

So if you want to avoid adding sugar in order to cut your calories then cooking from fresh and reading package nutrition is one way ...although if you're doing that may as well just focus on the calories IMHO
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Paleo sites might be good for you to use. There's not much sugar added and the flours used are generally almond and coconut, which are lower in carbs and higher in protein. I've seen some really tastey paleo vegetable recipes like peppers stuffed with sausage and diced veggies (like onions and celery).

I find cooking extra so I can eat leftovers for another meal is helpful. Steak for dinner and then cut up steak on a spinach salad the next day. KWIM?

Sweetening with Stevia drops can be a good way to sweeten up a recipe without sugar. The drps are very sweet though. For example, I just need 1 drop in acup of coffee. I made coconut flour blueberry muffins from my kids the other day with about 25 drops of stevia. They said it was very sweet, and they are picky about me reducing tehir sugars. LOL

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have great success. :)