Deli meat

Options
Anna334
Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
I noticed that when I eat cold cuts even within my points I gain weight. Specifically when I eat salami. It has been a while and yesterday I ate a antipasto salad and even with exercising I gained one whole pound. Now the antipasto salad had meats and cheese. So I guess maybe the salt and fat content were too much?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Anna334 wrote: »
    I noticed that when I eat cold cuts even within my points I gain weight. Specifically when I eat salami. It has been a while and yesterday I ate a antipasto salad and even with exercising I gained one whole pound. Now the antipasto salad had meats and cheese. So I guess maybe the salt and fat content were too much?

Are you talking about you eat it one day and then the next day your weight is up? If that's the case then its temporary water weight from the sodium.

Do you use a food scale to weigh out your meats?
  • Anna334
    Options
    Yes I was talking about deli meats. I was eating a antipasto salad at a restaurant so I counted the meats and added it individually. I could have underestimated the calories but I noticed weight gain on days I had cold cuts before joining my fitness pal. so I was curious to see what people thought. I think personally my body has issues with the sodium. I will ask my doctor about this too thanks.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention. Deli meat is loaded with sodium.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Are you talking about you eat it one day and then the next day your weight is up? If that's the case then its temporary water weight from the sodium.

Do you use a food scale to weigh out your meats?

QFT
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention. Deli meat is loaded with sodium.

this
  • Anna334
    Options
    Yes I do believe is the sodium that is bloating me up from the meats.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Crazy amount of sodium. When we get deli meat, we get in-house stuff and don't have that issue.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you take in too much sodium, your body fights the excess with water. That extra water can cause a jump on the scale, but it goes back down when it all evens out inside.

A friend of mine swears that keeping sodium down helps you lose faster, but it can't Jack my sodium up to make comparisons for myself. I spent too long struggling and failing to keep it down to screw it up on purpose. Interesting to wonder about, though. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You didn't gain a pound of fat!.....Your body may have retained a pound of water. Drink lots of water and flush it out. If you were within calories (points) you didn't gain fat.

Boar's Head deli meats are supposed to be somewhat lower in sodium.