Finding time to workout??

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    mcd8141984 wrote: »
    I do but after working all day and watching the kids till 8 or 9 pm I am exhausted. Early mornings seem to be the only time I have the energy to put in a good workout

I think you should try a few times at the end of the day anyway. Give it 5 minutes and if you're still feeling exhausted 5 minutes in then you can stop the workout. (For me at the end of one of those days there's usually a hidden supply of energy that suddenly becomes available when I start working out.)
  • MHChicago
    MHChicago Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe for strength training days focus on doing total-body movements at home with dumbbells or bands (e.g. squat with overhead press, lunge with bicep curl, etc.) for time efficiency, and get in your cardio during work breaks somehow? Not sure if you work somewhere you can get in a solid 30 minute walk or jog at lunch, and what you can do about the sweat factor....
  • mcd8141984
    mcd8141984 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and love it. I try to switch between one day cardio/fit star app and weights the next. Trying to do like 4-5 days a week. I think getting my butt up earlier might be the only option but keep the suggestions coming, thank you. Getting up earlier doesn't sound like fun as my Fitbit says I average like 6 hours of sleep a night with me getting up with crying kids in the middle of the night.
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    I work in Law enforcement and am in uniform so tuff to find time to workout during work
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    How do your days off pan out? Are they on the weekends or random days?
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    Normal weekends off, I watch the kids most of the day Saturday's and take Sunday's off to do other things
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    mcd8141984 wrote: »
    Normal weekends off, I watch the kids most of the day Saturday's and take Sunday's off to do other things

If you fit in a solid full body workout on Saturday-you would only really need to fit in two more workouts on work days (for lifting or resistance training). There are lots of programs out there based on 3-full body days a week.

You can most definitely bang them out pretty quickly. You could even do them circuit style and make it cardio and weight training. Then just try to fit in some extra activity throughout the week.

If my schedule was as tight as yours, I would not want to get up super early any more than I absolutely had to.
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    Great advice
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When do you get out of work?

Does your department/station have a workout area? Could you stay after work 30-45 minutes and get a workout in there?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and have 3 young kids - 5, 4 and 2. I am also divorced and have them with me about 85% of the time when I am not working. The 1 thing that has saved me is investing in a treadmill. I can jump on that for 10 minute joke while the kids are watching a TV show, or a quick 20 minute incline walk right after I put them to bed. I make time to put me in my priority list.
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    We rely on family to watch the kids for the hours our work schedules overlap, so I feel bad asking them for more but they have offered and I have taken them up on it a few times but not really an option on a regular basis in mind. Don't want to tick off the free childcare
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    No work area at our station
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When do the kids wake up? And when do they go to bed? At that age, my daughter was in bed between 7 and 7:30 but she was an early riser (5:30-6.)
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    4 year old down by 8:30 up as early as 4or 5, sometimes later. 1 year old down by 7:30 and he gets up up around 5 most days sometimes earlier sometimes later
  • mcd8141984
    Options
    Great advice Busy Pk thanks
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if its a priority, you WILL find the time. whether its at midnight or 4 am.