Help and Advice Needed :(

Options
I'm having severe trouble going out with friends and eating my weight in calories. Im getting frustrated because my friends go to the bar and go out to eat and I feel guilty if I go and don't eat/drink. On the other hand, I don't want to be the girl who takes a prepackaged carrot dinner out of her purse at a sports bar. Help?

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling guilty. Can you offer being the designated driver?? You can go out and eat, just fit what you're having into your calories. But you can't expect to go out and EAT ALL THE FOOD! Build up a greater deficit or exercise to earn a few more throughout the week to fit in a few weekend splurges. Or invite people over so you can control the food that's offered.
    You don't want to be the healthy one? The thin one? Sounds like a great person to be! ;)
  • toryatwood
    toryatwood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, so I've always just asked for a tall glass of water (no ice), and been happy with that. Most sports bar will have some form of chicken quesadilla on the menu, I've noticed (often in the appetizers, rather than the mains), and that's usually rather healthy. Some places will even (if you ask quietly), bring you a take out container at the start, so if it's huge, you can put some of it away right away. Or, you can just share with your friends... makes you popular!

Or, you can browse the starter menu for something a little more reasonable - soup, salad - they'll often add protein to a salad for an upcharge,
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I got out to eat with my husband and drink with my friends... I just watch how much I eat and drink.. If I know I'm going to a wing place I plan the rest of my day around that... Like tonight I'm sure we will have pizza for dinner cuz I didn't plan anything to cook so I will have my two slices of pizza and make a salad... If I have a beer or two then thats ok as well cuz I know if will fit into my day.. but also you can just be the DD and not drink thats fine also.. I have done that many times before also...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Yep - managing to choose the lesser of the evils is a good way to go, and at 19, you've got 2-years before you can drink alcohol in a sports bar anyway (right? ;) ), so selecting a low-cal no-cal 'virgin' beverage option should be pretty easy and not require excuses (which they don't anyway)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    eat a grilled chicken salad and have a few drinks. calories in verses calories out. just get a good workout in and watch your portions. :)
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you are 19, you shouldnt be drinking anyway. but that is probably where most of your calories are coming from. you can always order an appetizer or a salad or meat entree with less calories. I order stuff like that all the time and none of my friends even think anything about it.
  • jessm11595
    jessm11595 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    you are 19, you shouldnt be drinking anyway. but that is probably where most of your calories are coming from. you can always order an appetizer or a salad or meat entree with less calories. I order stuff like that all the time and none of my friends even think anything about it.

Lol by drinking I mean pop/lemonade and other sugar loaded beverages
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1. Allocate the calories during the week or during the day to give you more to work with when you go out.
    2. Portion control.
    3. Exercise so you have a reserve of calories.
    4. Dont fret.
    5. Make food or drink last longer by going for less calorie dense options and taking your time.
  • jessm11595
    jessm11595 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yep - managing to choose the lesser of the evils is a good way to go, and at 19, you've got 2-years before you can drink alcohol in a sports bar anyway (right? ;) ), so selecting a low-cal no-cal 'virgin' beverage option should be pretty easy and not require excuses (which they don't anyway)

Lololol sorry I guess I should have clarified! I can't and don't drink. My friends are older so they'll order and I'm stuck with the high cal pop! I have an addiction ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The make it last although tbh I always thought full sugar soft drinks are a real luxury and can be easily cut out of a diet, The low calorie alternatives you cna get used to and in fact quite a boon. I'd be saving the calories for real food. Your choice though.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking soda, how about going for the diet version? Also you shouldn't feel guilty although I know what you mean. However you could order a diet soda & an appetizer instead of an entrée.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Can you swap diet soda for the regular soda? That should save a number of calories there.