Does anyone else "save calories" for dinner (or another meal)?

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Never. I get too hungry. I eat almost the same amount of calories for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (when all my daily snacks are combined), spread pretty evenly throughout the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Every day. I don't eat breakfast, and my lunches aren't more than 600 calories. The rest of the day with dinner and snacks are opened up to another 1800-2000 calories depending on my workout that day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is a common practice for me. Like you, I don't need a lot to get me through the day, especially when I am really busy at work. I also really enjoy a bigger dinner in the evening, so "saving" my calories for dinner works for me. It also allows me to splurge once in a while on something that is much more calorie-dense than usual (i.e. pizza, burger and fries, etc.).
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Always! Never breakfast, rarely lunch, always a feast in the evening! :)
  • Um12tlwr
    Um12tlwr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes me too. I've found that I don't get as hungry in the mornings, but am very hungry and tempted to snack in the evening if I don't have a big dinner. Good planning!
  • gaborszollosy
    gaborszollosy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    All the time. Dinners always were the hardest to resist meals of my day.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sure do. If I know I have a big dinner tonight at home or going out to a restaurant with bad options, I'll have very light meals during the day, mostly fruit and salad, saving up my calories.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is how I do the weekend without swan diving out a window on Monday morning.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Me too," he chimed in.
  • jeffryturnbow
    jeffryturnbow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I try to spread my calories out evenly through out the day. I have 6 meals a day. I try to have a little larger breakfast, and a little larger dinner but try to keep the rest pretty much even. My thoughts is that my body will burn them more evenly if I intake them evenly.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I pre-log my dinner, a glass of wine and some sort of dessert before I figure out what to eat the rest of the day, just for that reason. It's much easier for me to cut back on food during lunch than at dinner time.

I also pre-log my dinner the day before (or a couple days before) and then plan out the rest of my day based on the calories and macros I have remaining after a yummy dinner.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    kind of. I always log dinner first, and if it's a larger meal, just eat less for breakfast/lunch to make up for it. works out pretty well.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I back load my plan so I usually eat a majority of my calories after work. Typically works out about 25% each for breakfast and lunch, 10% or so for snacks and drinks throughout the day, and 40% or so for dinner. This lets me grab lunch or dinner out once in a while, without blowing up my whole plan. I just flip the calorie budget for the day, and eat small after the large/out lunch.
  • ktsjourney
    ktsjourney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I wish. I'm starving right now. so so very hungry
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No, I get tired at night and if I have too many calories left over I just wont eat enough and go to bed
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I save calories for dinner sometimes. In general I save for evenings just because I know I like to snack lol
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    No, I get tired at night and if I have too many calories left over I just wont eat enough and go to bed

I've found as a side benefit of "saving up" my calories that if I end up with too large a surplus, I just go "meh" and leave a few hundred (occasionally over a 1000) on the table and just go to bed. So, either a large surplus goes unused, or I have an extra-hearty dinner plus maybe a late-night snack to boot. I win either way!!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always try, but I end up just eating fruit or other foods around lunch and convince myself the glucose will fuel my day. Really, I just like to eat, lol