Working out eating well and gaining weight??????? HELP

Options
armywife26
armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
Ok I have been busting my butt for months. Since last summer. I admit that it has not always been the best butt busting but I have been working hard and I am no closer to getting into my clothes then I was last summer. These last few weeks I have really really been busting my butt at the gym really really watching what I eat, staying under my cals by 3-600. YET I am gaining weight! WTH> I am back up to 160lbs and at Christmas I was at 151lbs. WHAT am I doing wrong I am so frusterated. I just don't understand. PLEASE I don't know what else to do. I am running 3 miles or biking outside or spin class, I lift weights, I workout out 4-6 days a week. on the weekends I admit to not staying on course with food as well as I should but I am still ususally under cals. because I work out.

Replies

• DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    one of two things to consider...
    1. you are building muscle faster than you are burning fat. but there is a silver lining to this, muscle burns more calories than fat does while your body is at rest and while its building and repairing. the weight drop will come.
    or
    2. you might have cut too many colories and pushed your body into a starvation mode with out knowing and your body just doesnt want to burn the energy and fat stores it has.

some of the women in my office had the same thing, and it was usually one of these two situations.
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    I was in the same situation but started losing again when i satarted eating a bit more. Staying under by 3-600 is too much. Try to always eat your 1200 plus and exercise calories you have burnt.
  • armywife26
    Options
    Thanks!
    Here are some examples maybe this will help
    these are 3 of the last few days
    Cals
  • armywife26
    Options
    Thanks!
    Here are some examples maybe this will help
    these are 3 of the last few days
    Cals
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MFP already cuts your cals by 500, so if you are cutting an additional 300-500, you are way to low on calories. Then if you add exercise on top of that, your so far below your NET calories that your body is storing fat. This is a prime example of starvation mode and what can happen if you are not eating your exercise calories.

You HAVE to net atleast 1200, at the bare minimum and then you HAVE to replace your exercise calories. You burn 500, you eat an extra 500. There is a reson MFP gives you back those calories.

As a FITNESS PROFESSIONAL you are eating way to little. I tell al my clients to eat with in 100-150 of what mfp says either plus or negative. Its not the end of the world if you go over with healthy food on days you workout, but its a big deal to be under.
  • armywife26
    Options
    This is 3 of my days
    Cals Carbs Fat Pro
    DID- 1018 91 48 43

Rem- 665 140 7 19
    Work out cals 293

cals carbs fat pro

Did 1162 181 34 40

Rem 1171 139 43 47
    work out cals 943

Cals carbs fat pro
    did 1297 120 29 40

Rem 667 149 35 33
    work out cals 574

Now here is my things While I know I need a little bit more cals because I workout I think that the amount of cals they say I have is just nuts. If I would eat over 2000 cals I would never lose any weight. Of course I am not losing any weight staying under my cals range of 1390 at the start of my day.
  • nycegurl74
    nycegurl74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • armywife26
    Options
    MFP already cuts your cals by 500, so if you are cutting an additional 300-500, you are way to low on calories. Then if you add exercise on top of that, your so far below your NET calories that your body is storing fat. This is a prime example of starvation mode and what can happen if you are not eating your exercise calories.

You HAVE to net atleast 1200, at the bare minimum and then you HAVE to replace your exercise calories. You burn 500, you eat an extra 500. There is a reson MFP gives you back those calories.

As a FITNESS PROFESSIONAL you are eating way to little. I tell al my clients to eat with in 100-150 of what mfp says either plus or negative. Its not the end of the world if you go over with healthy food on days you workout, but its a big deal to be under.

How do you do that, I already feel like I am stuffing myself most days. I guess I am just not understanding that if I start my day out at 1390 cals and then add for workouts that I am going to lose weight. Maybe I am just not eating the right food. I know I have a problem with carbs, I love bread and pasta. I also know I have issuses with protien I don't like meet very much although I do eat it some. I HATE beans, and nuts ( love ) are too high in fat. I have tried tofu ( gross ) For me it is a textur thing and it is very very hard to get past if you know what I mean.
  • erinhale
    Options
    Feel free to look at my food journal. I eat close to 2300-3000 a day and have lost 83 pounds by exercising for 45-60 minutes 6 days a week and eating correctly. Just don't look at this weekend :)

Protien shakes with whole milk, Endorux R4 (recovery shake) after workouts, protien bars, nuts (like almonds, pecans, brazilain nuts, exct...), string cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and fruit are great snacks. YOu should eat 5-7 small meals a day.

I always tell my cleints to exercise respondlibly- if your gonna bust your *kitten* in the workout, make sure you can eat back the cal's or else you are wastng your time.

Your situation is what happens when you are not eating enough. YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE, its plain and simple. You have WAY to may calories left. Like I said, PRIME example of what happens when you don't eat back your calories. IF you started eating with in 100-150 cal's left, you would lose weight.

IF you opened your diary to teh public I could offer additional insight to your eatibng.
  • erinhale
    Options
    Also, check out this thread, he does a very good job of explaining it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • armywife26
    Options
    Thank you so much I added you as a freind so that you can see my stuff. Yeah I didn't even bother putting it in this weekend. I know I should have but I didn't. I know that I didn't go over board other then sunday however. Thank you for your help BTW
  • smile72101
    smile72101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is funny that you posted this because I am honestly in the same boat...I didn't realize that MFP already cuts the calories. I have a limit of 1490 without exercise. I work out 45 mins cardio usually at least 4x a week (sometimes more). I have been working very hard in the last 3 weeks and have only lost 4lbs. I am new to all of this stuff so I wasn't sure what to do and how many calories I should cut/eat etc. I am WAY over weight and want to get down to at least 185 (i started at 248). I am frustrated that I have only lost 4lbs. I get 1490 a day without exercise.....

So I am wondering if I am in the same boat with the starvation mode. I am just not sure how many I should cut and eating pretty good and have only gone over on calories once....

Soo...as you get feedback, I am looking for myself!!! Thanks and good luck!!!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm also experiencing the same problem. I'm on my 3rd week of the P90X Lean program and I've gained almost 5lbs! I really hope it's muscle but I'm not seeing any results yet - opinions? advice?

Thanks!
  • tropikanagirl
    tropikanagirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin,

Thanks for posting your website. I am a bit confused about the "net calorie" thing. Is it that you can eat back the calories you lose and still lose weight?
  • erinhale
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is pound. Trying eating closer to your calorie goal. Please eat your food, nurioush your bodies!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

How do you do that, I already feel like I am stuffing myself most days. I guess I am just not understanding that if I start my day out at 1390 cals and then add for workouts that I am going to lose weight. Maybe I am just not eating the right food. I know I have a problem with carbs, I love bread and pasta. I also know I have issuses with protien I don't like meet very much although I do eat it some. I HATE beans, and nuts ( love ) are too high in fat. I have tried tofu ( gross ) For me it is a textur thing and it is very very hard to get past if you know what I mean.

Keep in mind that the fat in nuts are a good fat that your body needs. I agree that you are eating to few calories, try cutting the items with sugar out too if you can.
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi Armywife, I looked at your food diary and this is what I see right off the bat
    Wednesday - you ate 1000 calories and burned 293 of them with excercise so your net was only 707 calories- 683 calories short of your daily goal (keep in mind that your body will go into starvation mode if you are under 1200 net calories on a consistent basis)
    Thursday - you ate 1162 calories and then burned 943 of them giving you a net of 219 calories!!
    Friday - you ate 1297 calories and burned 574 - net calories 723

Now do you see why you are not losing weight?? You're body is trying to hang onto every ounce because your not giving it fuel!
    Like Erin said, you have to feed your body.
    ~Donna
  • armywife26
    Options
    thank you all I am now understanding that I need to eat more, now the question is WHAT do I eat?
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is pound. Trying eating closer to your calorie goal. Please eat your food, nurioush your bodies!

Right, but a pound of muslce is much smaller than a pound of fat. I think when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they really mean the size of one compared to the other.
  • armywife26
    Options
    thanks everyone I have been trying to do better about getting all my cals in!