Cardio other than running

Options
2»

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Ditto to swimming. Zero joint impact. I swim 4 miles a day 5+ times a week.
    Second fav is spinning. I just hate feeling the sweat :)

I had to search Youtube to find out what the spinning being mentioned so much on here was about. Looks like fun.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but I really wanted to do the obstacle runs like spartan sprint. I started running to the zombies!run app which is a fun story line with music interspersed and a game attached. Now, I've gotten to the point that I enjoy running outside. Still cannot stand running on the treadmill.

That being said, here are are other big cardio burns I suggest:
    Krav Maga martial arts. I burn a LOT of calories and have gained strength and confidence. Kick boxing would be similar
    Workout vids like P90x etc. I actually don't do as well to videos. Something about no one watching? YMMV
    Long hikes/walks with people, an audiobook, music whatever
    Walking fast on the treadmill with a bit of an incline while watching a show or movie
    Same as above on a stair stepper.
    Intervals: Run a mile, 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 minutes on stair stepper, 10 pushups, 10 situps, repeat x3
    Swimming
    Kayaking, white water rafting, paddle boarding
    Some volunteering like construction, packing food at food bank etc.
    Dancing. I HATE Zumba. I can do Salsa, swing, and club pretty well to real music with a partner and I LOVE IT, but kill me now trying to follow an instructor or video.
    Roller skating/blading or ice skating
    Rock climbing
    Trampoline (there are aero jump places you can go)
    Bike riding trail riding
    Sports: volleyball, soccer, basketball,
    Make up your own, ie 3x10 jump squats, burpies, situps. Or do as many X as you can during the commercial break
    Sprints

• kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Cycling

+1
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rowing machine! Full body workout and you get your cardio in. I do this on my "rest" days from running.
  • tammymoberg
    tammymoberg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I love all these suggestions! I could use some added motivation too if anyone wants to add me. I appreciate all of your answers!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything but it needs to be said:

Many people dislike running because they suck at it. That's a natural human response.

When they stop sucking at it - because they've decided to do something about their fitness and commit to improving - many find they later love running. You'll find hundreds if not thousands of such stories here.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything but it needs to be said:

Many people dislike running because they suck at it. That's a natural human response.

When they stop sucking at it - because they've decided to do something about their fitness and commit to improving - many find they later love running. You'll find hundreds if not thousands of such stories here.

For me, your sentiments ring true. For two years, my elite ultra-marathoner brother has been gently prodding me to start running. I tried it many years ago, and it just didn't stick with me like biking and weightlifting. I gave running another shot, and have found that I look forward to my next run first thing in the morning.
  • sosmerc
    sosmerc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the water and really enjoy standup paddling. I monitor my performance and heart-rate and can tell you that it is an excellent cardio workout if you want it to be. I can keep my heart-rate up quite high and burn 1000 cals in about an hour of paddling. I use a garmin heart-rate monitor (strap) and then pair it with my smartphone/app Endomondo and it records distance, speed, time, heartrate, calories burned etc. I also have my Garmin GPSMAP 78sc running so that I can visually watch average speed, distance and heartrate as I paddle. I have lost 30 lbs in the last year and I credit my paddling for most of it. The heart-rate monitoring is most important to make you really "work" more than you might think you need to.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    sosmerc wrote: »
    I love the water and really enjoy standup paddling. I monitor my performance and heart-rate and can tell you that it is an excellent cardio workout if you want it to be. I can keep my heart-rate up quite high and burn 1000 cals in about an hour of paddling. I use a garmin heart-rate monitor (strap) and then pair it with my smartphone/app Endomondo and it records distance, speed, time, heartrate, calories burned etc. I also have my Garmin GPSMAP 78sc running so that I can visually watch average speed, distance and heartrate as I paddle. I have lost 30 lbs in the last year and I credit my paddling for most of it. The heart-rate monitoring is most important to make you really "work" more than you might think you need to.
    I agree about the heart monitor. It is a great tool for working out in certain zones, as well as monitoring overall workout performance. I really like my Polar H7. I use it every day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Elliptical + phone/tablet + Netflix.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Soemthing you enjoy, but calorie burns are just if not more dependent on duration and intensity (exluding weight).
    If you dont wnat boring or repetitive then that means you will need to do seomthing that has more variety to it like an activity or sport. the calorie burn will still depend on you and your effort/duration.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use to be a runner until I couldn't handle the shin splints and knees hurting all the time. I now roller blade instead of run. It's so fun to blade. I usually go before work for an hour 8-12 miles. When I'm blading it doesn't feel like exercising completely because it's fun for me, but when I get home I can sure feel my workout. It feels amazing. I can feel it all over my body, best feeling ever!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I love a bike or elliptical
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps, stairmill and Spin