Martial Arts workouts

Tell me the ones you know and/or have experience with :)

I will start so maybe you can learn something new or maybe i will :)

Tapout XT
This is a very bad *kitten* workout based on mma, i've done it and it is hardcore (among insanity lvl)
In my current state i will not be able to do it but im working to get back at that lvl

Les Mills Combat Warrior
Done it in the past and going to do it again to get back in shape, great for beginners

Tae Bao
Know it, never done it because it has the same workout over and over for a period of time

UFC Fit
Havent done it yet but just got it and took a quick peak, seems fun and i think intensity is between les mills combat and tapout xt.

David Carradine - Kung Fu Workout
Havent done it but checked it out on youtube, dont like it, its old and its just weird looking at a younger Carradine in some spaceman outfit.

As im from Europe not really up to date of new workouts or releases in the US so if anyone knows newer or at least after 2000 Martial Arts workouts feel free to post em here.

:#

Replies

• _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    No fans huh
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    I guess next time i change my profile pic to some sexy sexy girl and start the title with, like my *kitten*? :#
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    If you want actual martial arts look elsewhere. If you are looking to dance around in front of the TV while watching a DVD of people dancing around, I guess these would do the job.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I would suggest actual training. DVD's are great but not really martial arts.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    LOLz
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you want actual martial arts look elsewhere. If you are looking to dance around in front of the TV while watching a DVD of people dancing around, I guess these would do the job.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Do you like eggs?
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Dancing around ey, maybe do some tapout xt and see if it is just dancing around
    rbiss wrote: »
    Well, thats how i call em, might not be the right word for it as my native tongue is not English but i can guarentee some of these workouts are more intence than anything you can do in a gym.
    Do you like eggs?
    Eggs are good :P

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2015
    Of the ones you listed I've only done Tapout and I loved the program. Just the trainer drove me crazy...he just never shuts up lol. But having Miesha Tate in some of the vids was nice. :)
    I especially enjoyed the Muay Thai video in Tapout. There is a Kenpo video in the original P90X that I do often and love. P90X3 has MMX and that one is really fun.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    As a Certified instructor, there's NOTHING like real contact on a bag or with a person. "Air" MA are good for cardiovascular workouts, but when one has to expend more energy in a clinch or kicking a 300lbs bag, it's a totally different workout on one's conditioning. It's more like full sprinting for 20 seconds and little rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    80TAURUS80 wrote: »
    Well, thats how i call em, might not be the right word for it as my native tongue is not English but i can guarentee some of these workouts are more intence than anything you can do in a gym.
    Do you like eggs?

I think what they mean is that if you go to a dojo and actually FIGHT, you will get more of a workout (and actually learn a martial art) than following any video. This may or may not be true. It is infinitely true for me, but it would depend how hard you commit when following the video, and what kind of class you are comparing it to.

I do Krav maga in a studio/dojo and I burn way way more than I've ever managed to in front of the TV, and I've tried several videos, but that's me and not you.

Out of curiosity, why not go and learn an actual martial art, and gain skills as well as get your workout that way?
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Taking it all to literally, i dont expect to be a fighter, although ive done several martial arts when i was younger, from the workouts. It is pure for cardio and HIIT and it happens to have some punching and kicking in it instead of doing jumping jacks, burpees etc all the time, thats what i meant and was checking if there were more nice ones then just the ones i mentioned
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    edited July 2015
    lilawolf wrote: »
    80TAURUS80 wrote: »
    Do you like eggs?

I think what they mean is that if you go to a dojo and actually FIGHT, you will get more of a workout (and actually learn a martial art) than following any video. This may or may not be true. It is infinitely true for me, but it would depend how hard you commit when following the video, and what kind of class you are comparing it to.

I do Krav maga in a studio/dojo and I burn way way more than I've ever managed to in front of the TV, and I've tried several videos, but that's me and not you.

Out of curiosity, why not go and learn an actual martial art, and gain skills as well as get your workout that way?
    See my last answer, i think i formulated my original post wrong and i doubt you burn more with krav maga than tapout xt, no offence :)
    Im skilled in several arts, Judo, Shaolin Kempo and Thai Boxing and competed in the first and last one but that was 10 years ago but as i said in my last answer, i meant, cardio workouts that have fighting exercises in it
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    If you can, maybe invest in a punching bag. Hitting something provides a better workout than the dvd's.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Being a black belt in American Kenpo, I can attest that the Kenpo X is legit. However it is just cardio kickboxing, based on Kenpo. The guy in the very back of the video is a Kenpo Black Belt (I checked his lineage). With all of that said there is nothing like hitting a bag or throwing around a 50 pound grappling bag.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    As it happens to be i got a punching bag too, just havent got the money atm to buy a wall mount but will deffo hang it when i can.

But as i said, i meant cardio/hiit workouts with punch and kick elements, not a workout that teaches a certain style :)
  • JayTE83
    JayTE83 Posts: 11 Member
    You should do actual Martial arts, ive been doing MA for 26yrs and no video or instructional dvd will compare. Simple!
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    So.. do any of you replyers actually read my other answers? ITs about a CARDIO workout and not to learn a actually style
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    So what you are saying is you want to dance around in front of your TV while watching "tough guys" dance around on the video. Got it...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I've never tried any, but I have seen parts of the Tapout one and it looks pretty intense. I bet it would be great energy system conditioning.

Thanks for giving your breakdown on the various types. I'm taking a break from competitive MuayThai, and it might be fun to do MA based interval training while I'm off. More fun than roadwork, for sure.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    So what you are saying is you want to dance around in front of your TV while watching "tough guys" dance around on the video. Got it...

What he's saying is he enjoys martial arts based cardio workouts and was looking for suggestions on others....

I also enjoy martial arts based workouts as cardio. I don't believe anyone here alluded or even suggested doing a MA based video makes you a martial artist. But working up a sweat doing punch and kicks is more fun then burpees and jacks.

So do you have any suggestions for him or are you just going to keep taking slights at him?