Fatshamed by family

Options
I know I'm overweight. I know it's not healthy. I know I do not look good.

I am actively trying to improve.

But how do you deal with your own parents fat shaming you and telling you how disgusting you are and that you shouldn't even go outside because you are embarrassing them.

I have never had a good relationship with my parents and it is also one of the reasons why I always reached for food as a form of comfort.

Ever since I was a teenager I've had a tendency to rebel against what my parents said and it is now the same with losing weight. I logically know I do need to diet and exercise but every time they give me a long, nasty speech about my weight and appearance there's that little voice in my head saying 'screw them, don't listen to what they say, have a pizza and you'll feel better'.

I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice on how to self-motivate myself better and how to not let my family make me feel like a complete pile of cr**.

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would warn them, and then stop talking to them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you are 21 years old, I would say move out, get your own place. Then you don't need to deal with your parents.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I know I'm overweight. I know it's not healthy. I know I do not look good.

I am actively trying to improve.

But how do you deal with your own parents fat shaming you and telling you how disgusting you are and that you shouldn't even go outside because you are embarrassing them.

I have never had a good relationship with my parents and it is also one of the reasons why I always reached for food as a form of comfort.

Ever since I was a teenager I've had a tendency to rebel against what my parents said and it is now the same with losing weight. I logically know I do need to diet and exercise but every time they give me a long, nasty speech about my weight and appearance there's that little voice in my head saying 'screw them, don't listen to what they say, have a pizza and you'll feel better'.

I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice on how to self-motivate myself better and how to not let my family make me feel like a complete pile of cr**.

That's just letting them win.
    If they are really this hurtful and mean to you, move away from them, and get healthy. Physically and emotionally. You need to learn to love yourself and you can't do that while people who are supposed to love you for yourself are causing more damage.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need to work out a different way of responding that dioesnt have you in this self destructive comfort eating loop.

Take responsibility for what you eat.
    Be more resilient and react differently when your parents are mean, go for a walk , talk to a friend or as suggested move out or better still make a deal with them that they stop being mean and you will commit to making every effort with their passive support to lose weight. Tbh they just dont sound nice and id go for the moving out.

I wouldnt mistake the fact that rebeling with pizza is rebling at all, but instead just undermining your own efforts to get to somewhere better.
  • aimmer20
    aimmer20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that your parents make you feel that way. My parents are also overweight so they would never think to tell me those kinds of things. I just want you to know that you are worth it and you can do this! You need to change your mind set to be that you aren't going to rebel against them but you are going to get healthy for yourself. That's what people mean when they say it has to be about you and no one else. I finally learned this at 23 and I have decided to change my life even without the help of my family. My family emotionally supports me but they still bring sweets and things into the house. Be selfish and make the right choices for you. Add me if you would like some continued support.
    Amy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Well as a parent, there's 2 sides to every story. If they are fat shaming you, then shame on them, however if you've rebelled and that MAY be the reason the relationship isn't good, then it may be on you. Again, I know neither so I can't know what the actual situation is, but if you want to lose weight, it's your uptaking. You do what you have to do to lose it. Whatever they say to discourage you shouldn't matter if that's what they are actually doing. COMMITMENT is what it takes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You are 21, when the crap talk starts, walk away. Go for a walk, go to a friends house, go to the gym, anything but stay and listen. You are not helping yourself by eating your feelings away. You need to want to lose weight for yourself, not because of your parents meanness. Having a parents support is nice, but you don't NEED it. You just need to believe in yourself.

I don't know your financial situation or why you are living with them, if you can move out. If not, limit the amount of time you are around their negativity.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Granted, we don't know the entire story in context. At the same time, that doesn't excuse the response of your parents. You also have blame in this as well, as you admit your attitude hasn't been good either. And turning to food as a weapon against your parents isn't hurting them, it is hurting you.

It sounds to me like there is a lot of dysfunction with you and your parents. It isn't one-sided. Unless you and your family seeks some counseling so that all of you can learn some personal and family dynamic skills, that will teach you how to interact in a healthy manner with yourself and others, the wheels on the bus are going to keep going round and round.

If your parents don't seek the aforementioned path for the sake of the family unity and peace, you have two choices, you can remove yourself from the situation completely, or you can resolve in yourself to not be destructive towards yourself and others, by overeating and acting out, which only takes you farther in the wrong direction. Even if your parents don't change, you need to love yourself enough to not want to keep being part of the dysfunction.

Seek out a counselor, pastor, or someone that you feel comfortable with, who is stable in their own life to talk with.

I wish you well.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Punishing your parents by failing is a lousy strategy. Trust me, I've tried it.
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As a parent did you ever think that maybe your parents are not trying to be mean but are genuinely concerned about your health and well being ?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Guy04 wrote: »
    As a parent did you ever think that maybe your parents are not trying to be mean but are genuinely concerned about your health and well being ?

Um.... no. parenting fail.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's terrible that they make you feel that way.
    I agree with the rest of the people here - get away.
    If you can't yet do it permanently (move to your own house), do it temporarily (go for a walk, or to the gym).
    Speak up. Tell them what they're saying is hurtful, not helpful.

I did a blog post about fat shaming, including links to various research & articles.
    Not surprisingly, the conclusion is that it doesn't help people lose weight.
    Feel free to explain that to your parents.
    If they can't say something nice, they should shut up.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-09-21-fat-shaming-696874

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23731874

Weight discrimination and bullying
    Research spanning several decades has documented consistent weight bias and stigmatization in employment, health care, schools, the media, and interpersonal relationships.
    For overweight and obese youth, weight stigmatization translates into pervasive victimization, teasing, and bullying.
    Multiple adverse outcomes are associated with exposure to weight stigmatization, including depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, body dissatisfaction, suicidal ideation, poor academic performance, lower physical activity, maladaptive eating behaviors, and avoidance of health care.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My sister has always hateful things about my weight, even though when I was younger I wasn't over weight.. But didn't realize it due to her hateful abuseing words . A few years ago I lost some weight to "show her up" but that didn't last this time i know I must do this for me ! It may be difficult but you must begin to love yourself ! I know you can do anything you want to do. Now you must believe it also
  • Samanthamill0616
    Samanthamill0616 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As a parent I say screw your parents. You are old enough to be responsible for you. If your parents are showing tough love, move out, get a job or education and reach your potential. It's not about what anyone else thinks, but about how willing you are to make changes to improve your life in adulthood. Love yourself enough to walk away from all negative things in your life and focus on being great for you.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tell your parents you just found out you are adopted and that you are going to go find your real parents....... that should shut their pie holes for awhile
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Pretty shameful behavior on their part, I have to say. Sad part is, even if you lose the weight, they might find something else to berate you about. You have to let them know their behavior is unacceptable. And I agree, there's no need to stick around and listen to that drivel
  • feliciawalters
    feliciawalters Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when you reach adulthood try to rely on your own instincts. You are capable, and driven and screw them. You have the power now not them. Rely on yourself for motivation and drive. You can do this. Ps I am adding you. I'm a big 'ol hug *kitten*
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was your age, and felt like a failure because I was not thin. Why bother to have any goals, when you are fat?! The only focus is on weight...not college, career, travel, fun, friends...just treated like a beast that should hide in the closet.

Once I got away from the toxic environment and started a life, I was happy. But, still had the toxic memories...anyway, at least I focused on something other than my weight. I went to college, had a job, met a man, who did not focus on my weight...

You can have fun, and a life, even if you are not size 10, or 2...

Now, I am not the "Fat Acceptance" mantra...I work to stay fit. I will never be petite. I accept that.

My Mother will never change...I just tune out her pathology. It no longer affects me. Ha ha...she often wonders how I have a man, a job, a home, travel, and am happy...even though I am a "beast"....
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Guy04 wrote: »

Um.... no. parenting fail.

Absolutely! There are other ways to convey that concern. I had a few family members say similar things to me, and I had to let them know how those words hurt me. You'll get on the right track with losing weight when YOU are ready. When you are ready, take baby steps. Baby steps will help you change your habits gradually, and those habits will be easier to maintain in the long run.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Parents don't change whether you do or not. It's taken me thirty years to realise that if I do one thing to make them happy, they just find something else to get on my case about.
    Do it for yourself, and balls to anyone else's opinions of you