Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    slp51 wrote: »
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

Curious as to why you have Cs so low and F so high?

low carb is all the rage...

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

moderating carb intake =/= low carb...please. I agree that most people who eat the SAD should moderate their carb intake and make better decisions in RE to what makes up their carb intake...but that doesn't mean you need to go full tilt low carb...it's unnecessary and carbs aren't the devil. I'm not mocking anyone, I'm simply pointing out observations from the real world in which I live

also, if you look at the diabetes food pyramid...whole grains and starches and what not actually make up the bulk of the recommended diet...again...maybe a little education is in order.

i respect actual knowledge...i do not need to respect diet fads and trends.

19916.jpg

for your edification...pretty much also the way I eat even though I'm not diabetic. you'll note the evil grains their...and of course, the devil fruits.

The thinking on how to treat diabetes is changing faster than the ADA can keep up. Many diabetes experts now think that advocating more sugar, in the form of carbs, is not a good treatments for diabetics who are having a hard time regulating their blood sugars. If dietary sugars are kept low, and of a low G.I., it helps a diabetics sugar not climb to dangerously high levels, and plummet after a few hours.

I'm sure some diabetics do high on a high carb diet, but I wonder if they would do better by limiting their problem foods.

Dr. Bernstein, an engineer and m.d., is only the leading edge of this change. His book, Diabetic Solutions, is quite interesting if you want to learn more.

BTW, the links that were included show that about 2/3 of Americans became overweight when the SAD changed by adding calories, mostly in the form of carbs, while decreasing fats.... I think that is what the OP was referring to. I think she just asked that you try to respect her opinion based on those statistical facts.

I am sorry that you think grains and fruit are evil.

My dad was a type 2 and I spent loads of time with him and his dietitian before he passed...this is exactly how they wanted him to eat and it controlled his diabetes just fine...this is like 1.5 years ago.

Also, most whole grains are fairly low GI, particularly when paired with some healthy fat and a protein source. So like...ice cream no...cookies, no...cake, no...whole grain oats...yeah, that's good.

I also wound't describe that as a "high carb diet" either...it's pretty moderate IMO...perhaps your perspective is skewed.

Beyond that, when the SAD changed, what kind of carbs did people start adding? Did people start eating a bunch of oats and brown rice and legumes and lentils and boom...obesity! Or maybe 40 ounce Big Gulps multiple times per day play a bigger factor...I like how soda = legumes...just lumping in all carbs as the devil as just about every low carb dieter I ever come across does.

If you really look at the change the last 20 years, it's really more "junk" and "junk" served in larger quantities. When I was a kid, a soda was an occasional treat...there are guys at work who chug like 5 per day...when I was a kid, having desert was maybe a once per week kind of thing like for Sunday lunch...I know tons of people who have cake and cookies all of the time, every night. I think these changes play a bigger role than "eat more carbs" as in, eat some healthy things like oats, legumes, etc.

And yes, you seemed to miss my sarcasm on the evil grains and fruit...like because of the million MFP "OMG sugar in fruit" threads and whatnot. Many low carbers totally demonize whole foods...it's silly....and ignorant.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

moderating carb intake =/= low carb...please. I agree that most people who eat the SAD should moderate their carb intake and make better decisions in RE to what makes up their carb intake...but that doesn't mean you need to go full tilt low carb...it's unnecessary and carbs aren't the devil. I'm not mocking anyone, I'm simply pointing out observations from the real world in which I live

also, if you look at the diabetes food pyramid...whole grains and starches and what not actually make up the bulk of the recommended diet...again...maybe a little education is in order.

19916.jpg

for your edification...pretty much also the way I eat even though I'm not diabetic. you'll note the evil grains their...and of course, the devil fruits.

The thinking on how to treat diabetes is changing faster than the ADA can keep up. Many diabetes experts now think that advocating more sugar, in the form of carbs, is not a good treatments for diabetics who are having a hard time regulating their blood sugars. If dietary sugars are kept low, and of a low G.I., it helps a diabetics sugar not climb to dangerously high levels, and plummet after a few hours.

I'm sure some diabetics do high on a high carb diet, but I wonder if they would do better by limiting their problem foods.

Dr. Bernstein, an engineer and m.d., is only the leading edge of this change. His book, Diabetic Solutions, is quite interesting if you want to learn more.

BTW, the links that were included show that about 2/3 of Americans became overweight when the SAD changed by adding calories, mostly in the form of carbs, while decreasing fats.... I think that is what the OP was referring to. I think she just asked that you try to respect her opinion based on those statistical facts.

I am sorry that you think grains and fruit are evil.

My dad was a type 2 and I spent loads of time with him and his dietitian before he passed...this is exactly how they wanted him to eat and it controlled his diabetes just fine...this is like 1.5 years ago.
    I am sorry for your loss.
    Also, most whole grains are fairly low GI, particularly when paired with some healthy fat and a protein source. So like...ice cream no...cookies, no...cake, no...whole grain oats...yeah, that's good.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say here. That whole grain oats are low GI and therefore good? It's about a 55 - not bad, but the carbs in nuts and other low GI foods are slower. Often as low as 10. Oatmeal is good but veggies have a lower GI index and may help diabetics control their blood sugars better.
    I also wound't describe that as a "high carb diet" either...it's pretty moderate IMO...perhaps your perspective is skewed.
    I suppose it is possible that my perspective is skewed. The entire bottom two levels of that pyramid you posted are carbs though, then comes a smaller layer for protein, with fats at the top. The math teacher in me feels that the area that carbs fill on the pyramid is greater than the proteins and fats combined... as a visual estimate.
    Beyond that, what kinds of carbs were added? Did people start eating a bunch of oats and brown rice and legumes and lentils and boom...obesity! Or maybe 40 ounce Big Gulps multiple times per day play a bigger factor than just lumping in all carbs as the devil as just about every low carb dieter I ever come across does.
    It doesn't say in that study. I am guessing the sugary processed foods were partally to blame - like the 40oz Big Gulp you mentioned. I would guess lentils didn't cause the obesity epidemic. Did someone say they did?
    And yes, you seemed to miss my sarcasm on the evil grains and fruit...like because of the million MFP "OMG sugar in fruit" threads and whatnot. Many low carbers totally demonize whole foods...it's silly....and ignorant.
    I think I got your sarcasm. I chose to reply with sarcasm in kind. I feel you missed that.

No one has demonized sugar here, not that I noticed anyways. You brought up how sugar and fruit was evil, not a low carber. And then you implied that the LC WOE is silly and ignorant? Twice. Insulting a WOE and those who use it.... I'm new to MFP, but isn't that against one of the rules? And just poor manners?

You seem really invested in proving LCHF is a bad idea. Is there a good reason for that?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beyond that, when the SAD changed, what kind of carbs did people start adding? Did people start eating a bunch of oats and brown rice and legumes and lentils and boom...obesity! Or maybe 40 ounce Big Gulps multiple times per day play a bigger factor...I like how soda = legumes...just lumping in all carbs as the devil as just about every low carb dieter I ever come across does.

If you really look at the change the last 20 years, it's really more "junk" and "junk" served in larger quantities. When I was a kid, a soda was an occasional treat...there are guys at work who chug like 5 per day...when I was a kid, having desert was maybe a once per week kind of thing like for Sunday lunch...I know tons of people who have cake and cookies all of the time, every night. I think these changes play a bigger role than "eat more carbs" as in, eat some healthy things like oats, legumes, etc.

Yes, this is what I see when comparing now to when I was a kid, and I totally agree on the silliness of acting as if one can generalize about carbs (or fat or protein, for that matter).

I kind of understand why people might like telling themselves that excluding veggies and fruits and whole grains and beans and replacing them with steak and bacon and cheese is "eating healthier," but I'm skeptical.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You seem really invested in proving LCHF is a bad idea. Is there a good reason for that?

as i've mentioned before...there are legit reasons for LCHF...the vast majority of people I see here and in the real world aren't following LCHF for any legit reason other than they picked up the latest health/fitness magazine and it said carbs were "bad"...it is that ignorance that annoys me...a lot of people not actually knowing anything...they just read it somewhere...so must be true.

a lot of people avoid completely healthy forms of carbohydrates because they don't know and don't understand actual nutrition...again...they picked up some magazine and were told carbs were bad...ergo, that fruit must be bad...those black beans must be bad...etc, etc, etc.

that is my experience with many on these boards and the vast majority of people I encounter in the real world.

• nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

as i've mentioned before...there are legit reasons for LCHF...the vast majority of people I see here and in the real world aren't following LCHF for any legit reason other than they picked up the latest health/fitness magazine and it said carbs were "bad"...it is that ignorance that annoys me...a lot of people not actually knowing anything...they just read it somewhere...so must be true.

a lot of people avoid completely healthy forms of carbohydrates because they don't know and don't understand actual nutrition...again...they picked up some magazine and were told carbs were bad...ergo, that fruit must be bad...those black beans must be bad...etc, etc, etc.

that is my experience with many on these boards and the vast majority of people I encounter in the real world.

Fair enough. I believe I have researched my choice and am fairly knowledgeable in what I am doing. I think what bothered me most (beyond it being implied that I am ignorant), is that you are attacking (by talking about the demonization of fruit and sugars) all the LC posts that pop up where people ask for help.

I think it may be more effective for you to state your opinion, which appears to me to be: that many LC foods, such as veggies and fruits, are loaded with nutrients and micro nutrients, and are (usually) a good part of a healthy balanced diet. Most people have no need to drop fruits and veggies from their diet, and that restricting those foods could negatively impact a person's diet if they are not nutritionally well educated. Eating LC is usually a choice and not a medical need for most people...

Is that about right? I don't think many people would disagree with that - I certainly wouldn't.

Catch more flies with honey.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Fair enough. I believe I have researched my choice and am fairly knowledgeable in what I am doing. I think what bothered me most (beyond it being implied that I am ignorant), is that you are attacking (by talking about the demonization of fruit and sugars) all the LC posts that pop up where people ask for help.

I think it may be more effective for you to state your opinion, which appears to me to be: that many LC foods, such as veggies and fruits, are loaded with nutrients and micro nutrients, and are (usually) a good part of a healthy balanced diet. Most people have no need to drop fruits and veggies from their diet, and that restricting those foods could negatively impact a person's diet if they are not nutritionally well educated. Eating LC is usually a choice and not a medical need for most people...

Is that about right? I don't think many people would disagree with that - I certainly wouldn't.

Catch more flies with honey.

pretty much....

and after 3 years here, i'm running low on honey...but i'll try.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thank you.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

19916.jpg

The diabetes pyramid keeps people on their diabetes drugs. It is very possible for many diabetics to get their blood sugars back to non diabetic levels and minimizing or eliminating the drugs by keeping carb intake levels very low. The ADA does not offer minimizing carbs (obviously, look at that picture, it is predominantly carbs) as a possible option even though it has worked for many.

There is no minimum level of carbohydrates that your body requires. Any substance that a body cannot process healthfully probably should not be eaten, ya think?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    carbs: 23%, protein: 30%, fat: 48%

Those numbers are strange, but I really do it by grams and there is obviously a rounding error in the mfp percentages. I try to keep net carbs under 85 (don't always make it) so that's how the percentages shake out. Protein is set to 111 grams, though as long as it's 100 or more I'm satisfied. I would call that lowER carb or moderate carb...not truly low carb.

However, I am starting to read up on keto, and will probably give that a try in the near future to see how I feel doing that. So far, the less carbs I eat the better I feel (not hungry, lots of energy, no cravings, etc.), so I periodically experiment to try to find the ideal macros for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not tracking atm but typically my maintenance macros are around 120-140g protein, 280g carbs, 120g fat
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40p/40f/20c today.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    carbs: 23%, protein: 30%, fat: 48%

Those numbers are strange, but I really do it by grams and there is obviously a rounding error in the mfp percentages. I try to keep net carbs under 85 (don't always make it) so that's how the percentages shake out. Protein is set to 111 grams, though as long as it's 100 or more I'm satisfied. I would call that lowER carb or moderate carb...not truly low carb.

However, I am starting to read up on keto, and will probably give that a try in the near future to see how I feel doing that. So far, the less carbs I eat the better I feel (not hungry, lots of energy, no cravings, etc.), so I periodically experiment to try to find the ideal macros for me.

Mystery macros.... interesting. LOL
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    40% carbs, 35% fat, 25% protein. Of course my main priority is with calories, but I do try and get as close to my macros as I can.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Carbs 45%
    Fat 25%
    Protein 30%

Currently experimenting to see what works best for me. I'm doing recomp.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs.
    Keto FTW.
  • dancerkb31879
    dancerkb31879 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I do 50% Carbs, 25% Fat, and 25% Protein.
    Ditto. So that makes my day 250c, 100p, 45f. I'm a runner and I lift so extra carbs are good! When I started I had 300 carbs but cut down to lose some fat and gain more definition.
  • maplegirlst
    maplegirlst Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1500 calories
    Carbs: 25%
    Fat: 25%
    Protein: 50%

I struggle to get enough protein even though I eat a lot of meat.

I am trying to lose weight and have a sustainable 'diet'.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Carbs, 270g
    protein, 170g
    fat 50g
    for when i am working on lower bod

C, 240g
    protien 170g
    fat 50g

So c, 41%
    P39%
    F 21%

It is high for my weight and height (5'7" 122lbs) but i am building muscle, at the same time i am nursing a 7 month old(so i have to compensate for that). This has worked out great because i have lost fat, and gaining muscle.
  • WheelingGirls
    WheelingGirls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually around 50P/40C/10F when maintaining weight. Lost over 30lbs doing 50P/10C/40F though.