I binged. Help?

Options
OokiiKyary
OokiiKyary Posts: 12 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
Okay, so my goal is to lose 2 lbs a week. I lost four pounds and have been on this diet for two weeks. I binged tonight because we went to a festival and ate 1,800 calories. I'm beating myself up over this and I'm scared to wake up tomorrow, wake up, and be back at my starting weight. What should I do? I'm beating myself up over this. What do you guys do after a binge? Ugh, this is the worst! :(

Replies

• johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. Just get back on track. Might be good not to step on the scales if it will discourage you tomorrow. I think 2 pounds a day is too much. I'd shoot for 2 or 3 pounds per week.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! 1800 calories in a day is hardly a binge, and will not make a dent in long term plans. You cannot gain four pounds of weight from one simple (and quite sensible, in the scheme of things) binge. Worst case, you took in some extra sodium, have a bit of water weight, and will need to get rid of it naturally in the coming days.

Keep in mind that this is why a lot of folks advise weighing in once a week, rather than daily. As someone who presumably weighs daily, you're accustomed to and accepting of your body's normal and natural ebb and flow of weight.
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OokiiKyary wrote: »
    Okay, so my goal is to lose 2 lbs a day. I lost four pounds and have been on this diet for two weeks. I binged tonight because we went to a festival and ate 1,800 calories. I'm beating myself up over this and I'm scared to wake up tomorrow, wake up, and be back at my starting weight. What should I do? I'm beating myself up over this. What do you guys do after a binge? Ugh, this is the worst! :(

2LBS A DAY IS DANGEROUS!! o_o;;To do it safely would be 2-3lbs per week, and even then the 3lbs is pushing it. EAT. Not eating is going to be way worse for you, in the long run. You might see quick results! Think of today as one to do better tomorrow. Also;; Being OBESE, my doctor said that when you commit to changing your lifestyle don't refer to it as dieting, and don't weigh yourself every day. Your goal is to be healthier, and by the sounds of it, you're going down a very dangerous road to an eating disorder, by your thinking. So be very careful. D:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can't possibly lose 2 lbs a day. You probably binged because you've been starving yourself to meet an unmeetable goal.
    Why don't you plug your numbers into MFP and eat at the REASONABLE calorie deficit? You are much more likely to actually succeed, especially long-term.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I end up binging at least once a month. It happens. Log it, be honest with yourself and move on. If I gave up on the first binge, I would not have lost 75lbs. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Also, re-reading this, 2lbs EVERY DAY to lose is extremely dangerous. And if that picture you have as your profile picture is you, you may need help battling an Eating Disorder. Please be careful and safe!
  • Peachiko87
    Options
    Okay, so my goal is to lose 2 lbs a day. I lost four pounds and have been on this diet for two weeks. I binged tonight because we went to a festival and ate 1,800 calories. I'm beating myself up over this and I'm scared to wake up tomorrow, wake up, and be back at my starting weight. What should I do? I'm beating myself up over this. What do you guys do after a binge? Ugh, this is the worst! :(

Sorry;; I meant to add more to the "You might see quick results!";; Which is true, but that weight you lose will rebound, because your body will be starved. Going into starvation mode will make your body store fat. Take it one day at a time, stick to your calorie goals, and you will see the results in 30 days. Exercise will also go a long way. Don't deprive yourself of anything, moderation is the key to success. ^^ One pound at a time; One Day at a time. Never go for quick, easy results, they never work. I'd also like to recommend eating 5-6 small meals through out the day, and at least 6-8 cups of water. Cutting out soda, candy, pretty much anything with high sugar, will all help out a lot, too. :)

• OokiiKyary
    Options
    I'm so sorry guys! I meant a week!! Haha, two pounds a week! I know that 2 lbs is very dangerous, oh my gosh how stupid of me~
  • Peachiko87
    Options
    I'm so sorry guys! I meant a week!! Haha, two pounds a week! I know that 2 lbs is very dangerous, oh my gosh how stupid of me~

Oh! Good! I was worried for you. xD;;; But yeah, take it one day at a time, and never give up. <3
  • camground2
    camground2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the pic? Sorry but how much do you weigh?
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I binge three or four times a month. Try looking at your weekly average instead of worrying about your day-to-day as much. That gives you some room to eat more one day a week and still be at a deficit overall. Also, 1800 calories was the total of what you ate? That's probably not even your maintenance, so why classify it as a binge?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So you have been dieting (a deficit) and then you ate normal for one day and called it a binge.

Sometimes after a diet you have to "learn to eat normal". That's probably the biggest reason I hate calling any eating "a cheat day" or cheat meal. Eating normal is not cheating. Eating normal is not binging.

Allow yourself to eat normal several days a week, especially if that is you in the picture like the other commenter said.

Get help about the beating yourself up, that's a road that goes no where good at all.
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good! 2 pounds a week is much better! Don't beat yourself up for "the binge". It happens. I've lost 53 pounds, even with the occasional binge. Start fresh tomorrow.
  • OokiiKyary
    Options
    camground2 wrote: »
    Is that you in the pic? Sorry but how much do you weigh?

No, that's not me! that's just a picture of my goal body to keep myself motivated since I see it every time I get on to log food.

• OokiiKyary
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So you have been dieting (a deficit) and then you ate normal for one day and called it a binge.

Sometimes after a diet you have to "learn to eat normal". That's probably the biggest reason I hate calling any eating "a cheat day" or cheat meal. Eating normal is not cheating. Eating normal is not binging.

Allow yourself to eat normal several days a week, especially if that is you in the picture like the other commenter said.

Get help about the beating yourself up, that's a road that goes no where good at all.

These are probably the truest statements ever said, and on top of it that was really helpful. This calmed me down more, thank you so much!
  • OokiiKyary
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »

2LBS A DAY IS DANGEROUS!! o_o;;To do it safely would be 2-3lbs per week, and even then the 3lbs is pushing it. EAT. Not eating is going to be way worse for you, in the long run. You might see quick results! Think of today as one to do better tomorrow. Also;; Being OBESE, my doctor said that when you commit to changing your lifestyle don't refer to it as dieting, and don't weigh yourself every day. Your goal is to be healthier, and by the sounds of it, you're going down a very dangerous road to an eating disorder, by your thinking. So be very careful. D:

「Your goal is to be healthier, and by the sounds of it, you're going down a very dangerous road to an eating disorder, by your thinking. So be very careful.」
    You're really right, even though I meant 2 lbs a WEEK sometimes I find myself (like tonight) freaking out over the littlest things so much I lose track of the main goal and purpose. To be healthier! Thank you, I'll totally keep what you said in mind!
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is a lofty goal. One pound a week is sensible, you need to be able to eat enough so you don't feel like you are suffering. This change won't last if you make it too unrealistic. Weigh only once a week, don't worry about the scale. If your food comes in under the calorie allotment and it doesn't have to be by much, the numbers won't lie to you and the weight will slowly disappear. That's what you want, slow and sustainable. Binging isn't much of a problem, you just log whatever that food was and forget it. Next day you jump back on the wagon and keep going. You take it one day at a time and you are not gonna stop, no matter what the setbacks. Proud of you for starting this journey‼️