The 1200 rule - not true when exercise is a factor?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I only got the "you need to eat more calories" notification once when I ate 10cal shy of 1200 (haven't made that mistake since, the next day I was so hungry). But today I worked out a lot and according to mfp I "netted" only ~900 calories. But I didn't get any notification, I got the "if every day was like today" message. How come the 1200cal rule doesn't apply to netted calories? Shouldn't it be the same thing?

(I'm pretty sure I didn't burn nearly the amount my activity tracker claimed, though, it's a cheap one and overestimates a lot more than mfp).

Replies

• timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    They don't want to promote undereating and I think thats a good thing. I eat 800 to 900 kcal, sometimes as a "cheat" day 1200 kcal. If you eat clean, pay attention to your nutrients and have an office job, that's possible. You also can set MFP to just count these 800, but it will not recommend it.

With 1200 kcal everyone should be able to easily get the nutrients they, even when they don't eat very clean.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1200 is a food intake, "net calories" isn't. Exercise doesn't delete the nutrients you ate.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You were "so hungry" from eating 1190 cal instead of 1200 cal? That's odd, lol. But, yeah, the over-reaching 1200 rule that "works" for every person on earth (pauses to laugh) is about food intake; not net. Also, remember that MFP is not an objective tool. It is a biased tool which operates according to its creators' opinions.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    You were "so hungry" from eating 1190 cal instead of 1200 cal? That's odd, lol. But, yeah, the over-reaching 1200 rule that "works" for every person on earth (pauses to laugh) is about food intake; not net. Also, remember that MFP is not an objective tool. It is a biased tool which operates according to its creators' opinions.

What do you mean by that @ohmscheeks
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    timtakel wrote: »
    They don't want to promote undereating and I think thats a good thing. I eat 800 to 900 kcal, sometimes as a "cheat" day 1200 kcal. If you eat clean, pay attention to your nutrients and have an office job, that's possible. You also can set MFP to just count these 800, but it will not recommend it.

With 1200 kcal everyone should be able to easily get the nutrients they, even when they don't eat very clean.

lol you consider 1200 a cheat day?
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options

800-900Cal? That's not much...I hope you are not losing lbm.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Tim, Please eat more.

1200 per day minimum for women and 1500 per day minimum for men, on average.

You've posted before that your cheat meals are 2000. I think you should sit down and take a good look at your goals and the potential damage you're doing to yourself if you continue with what you say you're doing. Just my 2c.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They want you to have a minimum intake of 1200 for a woman. 1500 for a man. Please disregard the boy that is under eating.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Ahh that makes sense, thanks guys!!!

@ohmscheeks I'm eating closer to 1300 cal/day so 1190 was low for me. I wasn't hungry that day, but the next day I was hungry no matter what I ate. *shrugs*