I've decided...working out at home is just not the same...

Options
2»

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the gym more. You can get more motivation. Seeing others using the same machines or even dancing/zumba can make you push harder. Want to do better

Working out at home has its benefits too. We have a elliptical and a few weights. Can listen to music, do yoga, zumba, or whatever else.

50/50
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    I never feel motivated by it and I lose interest so fast! I sometimes try and work out at home if I've not been able to get to the gym at lunch but its just not the same...Kudos to all those who work out at home and STICK to it!! I find it hard work!

I don't have access to a gym so no choice. I think I would make excuses not to go to a gym anyway. At home there are no excuses for me to just do my workout.
    Do what works best for you.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I find myself way too willing to give up at home. I treat the gym like a library. It's a zone of concentration for that subject. I find myself pushing harder at the gym, just like I find myself being more productive at a library for school.

I love that comparison. Too many distractions at home. I mix it up though....sometimes only have a limited amount of time and don't want to waste it driving to the gym. However, the bigger burn/better workout is achieved somewhere other than home.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I also do better at gym. I get distracted too easily at home and want to get domestic things done. Plus my gym is small and very social. We do the WODs together, people chat before and after, people notice if you're missing. I'm competitive so get extra oomph out of working with others - I like to be good at stuff, I don't want to let my partner down if we're doing a partner WOD and like to keep pace with others.

I practice yoga at home at least once a week but DH often distracts me because he doesn't appreciate that I get in the zone. He'll wander past and start talking to me - kind of kills the vibe a little...
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I do better at the gym because I do better in group classes.
    Working out at home by myself I just find boring... No people to motivate me.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    That's interesting, I found the opposite to be true. Lots of things about the gym are annoying but doing it at home means everything is exactly the way you want it. Even down to the music selection. I'd never go back to the gym.

This.

I have access to a small gym at work that I use occasionally, but my lunch breaks are too unpredictable to make it a regular thing. Plus, my co-workers think nothing of coming down there to ask me questions, and that gets really annoying. I'm up by 4 a.m. most days, so I just work out in my basement--I can wear what I want, listen to what I want, I don't have to share my equipment, and no one comes down there except my dog. I don't have a lot of stuff right now, just some adjustable dumbbells, a bike & a 100 lb. heavy bag, but it gets the job done until I can get a bar & a bench.

• sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It can get monotonous for sure, I've had to stick to my home gym since my 6 yr old is off for the summer (they dont allow kids over the age of 5 at the gym on the base). And though I've been making the best of the home gym, i miss the adult time with the other ladies there, small talk. Or the hey cool exercise, show me please. Lol. I think its both good and blah, but its a total benefit around the busy gym times of the year, or when there's little time to work in 20 minutes. New year resolutions, summer time, bring all your kids to the kid gym day (for me), these times are when i love my gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the gym. I like the bustle- I like the noise- I like not being at my house. All these things I like. I have cats- and piles of TO DO's- so it's just easier to leave and forget it's there then try to deal with it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Do you have a clear workout plan? Or ever try doing things for time or reps? Sometimes ticking off reps against a clock works for me when I'm not 100% up for it. (It's safer with lower or non-weighted movements though.)

Like I use Simple Workout Log, which you can set to take you through a routine. Has a timer built into the log for every exercise, which you can use as above OR to force yourself to slow down or hold certain movements for a given amount of time (when you feel like rushing).