Unfair Rant Time

Options

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Like my mom used to say, "if life were fair the cancer ward at Children's would be empty". Now that I think about that as an adult, that's a pretty fracked up thing to say to a kid. No wonder I'm such a gloomy gal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I think it's unfair that you can't get boiled crawfish in North Carolina. And that the nearest Popeye's is 20 miles away instead of around the corner or on the way to anywhere. And that vendors say, "True New Orleans style . . . (fill in the blank - pralines, beignets, jambalaya, whatever) are LYING!

My sisters moved to NC around 15 years ago ad still complain about the lack of crawfish, Popeye's and drive thru daiquiri places. Don't forget about "True Cajun or Creole Style".

I don't blame her one bit!!! The "Cajun" style really gets me - they burn a perfectly good piece of meat or fish and drown it in Texas Pete, which is the hot sauce of choice here - NOTHING like blackened anything in New Orleans!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    Like my mom used to say, "if life were fair the cancer ward at Children's would be empty". Now that I think about that as an adult, that's a pretty fracked up thing to say to a kid. No wonder I'm such a gloomy gal.

Ok, that made me laugh! She's right, but...
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    galaxyem wrote: »
    OKAY WHO ELSE THINKS IT'S UNFAIR THAT GUYS LOSE WEIGHT SO MUCH FASTER AND EASIER THAN WOMEN!?!?

Im flipping over this ^

My completely unscientific theory is that men's bodies don't think they have to be constantly prepared for the possibility of pregnancy. Mine doesn't either, but it doesn't know that.

My highschool biology teacher had a saying, " Men are built for the sprint, women for the marathon". Bacisallt meaning that, for the purposes of reproduction and therefore evolution, women need to survive longer than men. Men have to survive long enough to have sex. After that, if they die, their child will still survive. Women have to survive long enough to have sex, grow a baby, birth a baby, feed that baby till at least the age of 1 and after that another non-milk making adult could possibly take over.

All these things that are seen as bad, fat retention, cravings, etc are actually major advantages. We've just changed our habitat so much it's no longer necessary.

/hypotheticals

Cramps don't seem conducive to letting me effectively escaping a predator.

Also I'm not sure my monthly "celebration of womanhood" is always conducive to the people around me surviving, either. XD
  • ljmorgi
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    But we will never be as pretty!

NEHXHYjUoXh2LO_2_b.jpg

Ok

You win

/micdrop
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    "I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort at the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." Marcus, Babylon 5 This is my mantra.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think it's unfair that you can't get boiled crawfish in North Carolina. And that the nearest Popeye's is 20 miles away instead of around the corner or on the way to anywhere. And that vendors say, "True New Orleans style . . . (fill in the blank - pralines, beignets, jambalaya, whatever) are LYING!

I had the same experience coming from the opposite direction. I don't care what North Carolina says, that thing you put on my plate is not a crab cake. That is deep-fried crab-flavored filler.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    [/quote]I don't blame her one bit!!! The "Cajun" style really gets me - they burn a perfectly good piece of meat or fish and drown it in Texas Pete, which is the hot sauce of choice here - NOTHING like blackened anything in New Orleans![/quote]

I don't know if ya'll can get it there but Zatarains makes a great blackening seasoning that My husband loves. He puts it on salmon. He also sprinkles the Zatarains garlic and herb blend for his roasted veggies its a little on the spicy side for me. You can go wrong with bringing your own Tony Chacheres with you to restaurants.
  • Char231023
    Options
    Sorry I can't get the hang of this quote thing.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I don't blame her one bit!!! The "Cajun" style really gets me - they burn a perfectly good piece of meat or fish and drown it in Texas Pete, which is the hot sauce of choice here - NOTHING like blackened anything in New Orleans![/quote]

I don't know if ya'll can get it there but Zatarains makes a great blackening seasoning that My husband loves. He puts it on salmon. He also sprinkles the Zatarains garlic and herb blend for his roasted veggies its a little on the spicy side for me. You can go wrong with bringing your own Tony Chacheres with you to restaurants.
    [/quote]

My FAVORITE dish that I make which reminds me of New Orleans is red potatoes boiled in Zatarain's crab boil (three tablespoons per four pounds of potatoes - or more if you like!) and then letting them cool, then slicing them up, then pouring an entire stick of melted butter with about a quarter cup of onions diced until they resemble mush - OMG it is so good! (However, I suspect it's a little calorie-laden.)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I had the same experience coming from the opposite direction. I don't care what North Carolina says, that thing you put on my plate is not a crab cake. That is deep-fried crab-flavored filler.

Exactly! In NC, there's great barbecue, and seriously great restaurants. But those that try to imitate Louisiana, well, they fail like crazy!
  • Char231023
    Options

Exactly! In NC, there's great barbecue, and seriously great restaurants. But those that try to imitate Louisiana, well, they fail like crazy!

That is exactly why I will never move out of Louisiana. Unless its living in Europe or a Caribbean island for a few months.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

That is exactly why I will never move out of Louisiana. Unless its living in Europe or a Caribbean island for a few months.

I moved after Katrina and it killed me, but I couldn't stay there at the time with crime up so much and traffic jams everywhere. I can't complain; I love NC and its mountains and lakes and scenery, but what I wouldn't give to have two pounds of boiled crawfish!
  • Char231023
    Options

I moved after Katrina and it killed me, but I couldn't stay there at the time with crime up so much and traffic jams everywhere. I can't complain; I love NC and its mountains and lakes and scenery, but what I wouldn't give to have two pounds of boiled crawfish!

I live in Lafayette so all Katrina did was boost the housing market for us. I do love to visit my sisters in NC it is gorgeous but not a lot to do. We always have some sort of festival or Down Town Alive going on.
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it's unfair that my boobs shrink before my belly :)
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different with weight loss! Man or woman. There is no comparison.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    try gaining weight as a skinny guy.
  • ljmorgi
    Options
    I think it's unfair that my boobs shrink before my belly :)

I'm a 36A no matter what my weight. THAT's not fair. :P
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Is it fair that woman live longer than men?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think it's unfair that BMI penalizes tall people.

I think it's unfair that I read that as penis