My doctor has me doing 20 mg of carbs per day.

Options
Has anyone else ever done this and were you able to stick with it? Also, what kind of meals were you able to eat?
I'm very new to this and kind of freaking out about the carb thing but I told her I would give it my all for a week and see how I do.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Try not to put yourself in a panic before you even get started. ;) One step at a time.

You can do it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Call the office and get a referral to a dietitian. They'll get your info from the doctor and help you work out a plan that includes your likes and dislikes, etc. they'll explain everything to you, too.

It's the most valuable hour you can spend when planning out your weight loss. :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This is a ketogenic diet. There are a number of pros and cons to this type of dieting. Did you discuss with your doctor your concerns about sticking to this diet? Some people have tremendous success with a ketogenic diet while others absolutely hate it. It's certainly something worth a try. I will note that a week is hardly a fair shot for this type of diet as many people report it taking 2 weeks to really get adapted to it. I'd give it at least 3-4 before I abandoned it.
  • msnoanie18
    msnoanie18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have talked to my husband about both of us going and talking with a dietician for his diabetes. I will definitely look into that now. Thank you. :)
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Is that grams or milligrams?
  • mommy2boysaz
    mommy2boysaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carb and keto message boards here. You will get better help there than from a dietician, in my opinion... It is a very healthy way to eat that cuts your appetite and improves your overall health!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Google Atkins Phase one. That plan has about 20 grams carbs per day.
    You will eat meat, fats, oils, olives, and low cal veggies like mushrooms, lettuce, cucumbers, asparagus.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is basically Atkins phase one. In the Atkins model, you stay at 20g net carbohydrate per day for the first two weeks. Net carbs = (total carbs-fiber), because the test they use for carbs lumps fiber into the carb count as well (its a benchtop-chemistry issue).

In Atkins, you can stay on the 20 g net carbs/day as long as you like. But it is more common, after the first two weeks, to increase your intake to 25g net carbs/day, then 30g net carbs/day the following week, each week increasing the daily allowance by 5 g until you reach a point where you did not lose weight that week. Then go down 5g/day for the next week and hold at that level until you reach your goal weight (or until it stops working at that level).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It has to be grams--MG makes no sense.

Basically, you can eat meat and veggies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree with vismal, you really need to give a very LCHF (low carb high fat) a few weeks before you decide if it is for you. In my experience, the first two weeks were not easy. I felt quite tired and got a lot of headaches. Once I got past that, I felt better than I did when I was eating more carbs. Not everyone experiences that, but it really worked for me as someone who has issues with sugars, had prediabetic blood work, and wno needed to lose weight. I'm down over 10lbs in the last month (I'm sure some of that is water), have surprisingly lost my carb cravings already, and my blood glucose is normal.

Give it a few weeks.

For what to eat I can only comment on what I do:
    Breakfast- bacon, coffee and cream, egg
    snack - usually coffee and cream (often coconut cream)
    lunch - 1 c pistachios, or tuna salad, eggs, leftovers, salmon patty, avocado
    snack - pepperoni stick or cheese if needed.
    dinner - meat and a veggie, often with butter or cheese, maybe some berries

Meat and veggies, egss, dairy, and some fruit about sums it up. Baked goods are usually out, and so is noodles and rice. If you choose to eat those you would have to eat very small amounts to keep carbs under 20.

Feel free to look at my dairy to get the gist of it. I'm not a very creative cook though.

Good luck.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    msnoanie18 wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever done this and were you able to stick with it? Also, what kind of meals were you able to eat?
    I'm very new to this and kind of freaking out about the carb thing but I told her I would give it my all for a week and see how I do.

■■■Did your doctor tell you why? Is he worried about weight or blood drugs?

Atkins is more high protein, it's effective at helping both weightloss & lowering blood sugars. I once lost 42lb in 7 weeks doing Atkins and you can eat like a horse and still lose weight. All my blood work after the diet was excellent and my doctor was surprised to see my labs come in so improved. My only drawback to the diet was GOUT. The high protein and eating certain low carbohydrate veggies like asparagus increase uric acid and causes a very painful arthritic condition for some folks. Before doing that diet make sure your doctor knows your uric acid levels, and have him check them monthly; he can prescribe a medication that will stop gout in its tracks. You also need to stay extra hydrated here to avoid gout too...

Ketogenics avoid gout, because it's not a high protein diet. It's high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate. I have been doing this diet for 10 weeks now, and it's been a real miracle for my diabetes. I was using injectable insulin 5 to 6 times a day eating omnivore. Since starting ketogenics I've not taken a drop of insulin and I'm much better regulated than before using insulin. Fat actually lowers blood sugar, it does not spike either blood sugars or insulin our pancreas secretes. It's a great eating style if you're insulin resistant or diabetic in my opinion at this time. After fully adapting with 3 or 4 weeks you don't miss those carbohydrates at all. I still eat plenty of dark green leafy veggies, just no more starchy or sugary veggies or fruits.

If you're gaining weight in the middle, sugars high, you're likely insulin resistant. Most insulin resistant or type2 diabetics overly secrete insulin in response to carbohydrates & sugars. The over secretion makes it difficult to lose weight because insulin has several jobs and a key one is to store fat on your body. To effectively lose weight if your insulin resistant or diabetic you need to lower blood sugars levels & insulin simultaneously. Ketogenic eating achieves this very well from my personal experience...

But make sure you ask your doctor why he is suggesting this to you. I can only assume he is concerned about weight or blood sugar levels or both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'll just ask - why?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It is a big change, but can be life changing for a diabetic.

There are a lot of experienced low carbers here and you can connect for help and questions anytime.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Yes, that is basically Atkins phase one. In the Atkins model, you stay at 20g net carbohydrate per day for the first two weeks. Net carbs = (total carbs-fiber), because the test they use for carbs lumps fiber into the carb count as well (its a benchtop-chemistry issue).

In Atkins, you can stay on the 20 g net carbs/day as long as you like. But it is more common, after the first two weeks, to increase your intake to 25g net carbs/day, then 30g net carbs/day the following week, each week increasing the daily allowance by 5 g until you reach a point where you did not lose weight that week. Then go down 5g/day for the next week and hold at that level until you reach your goal weight (or until it stops working at that level).

@msnoanie18 - I find the idea of 20 g total carbs intimidating but 20 net carbs doable, given enough incentive like a medical condition. Please check with your doctor to see which you are supposed to do.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    are you diabetic?

if not, id look for another doc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic, insulin resistant, hypoglycemic, hyperinsulinemic, or have PCOS?

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic, insulin resistant, hypoglycemic, hyperinsulinemic, or have PCOS?

There are valid medical reasons for low carb not included on this list.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

There are valid medical reasons for low carb not included on this list.

The OP didn't ask for permission or approval and really doesn't need a doctor's excuse to eat this diet. She chose to say that she's going low-carb on the doctor's instructions, but nobody needs a note from the doctor.

She didn't ask if anyone else approves, so nobody really needs to pry into her personal medical issues to find out whether they approve of this of not.

IMO.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are well prepared for this eating style. ibreatheimhungry is a great keto recipe website and she has a 3-day kickstart eating plan as well as a whole month worth of eating plans with all the recipes on her site.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Maybe she's just free to eat as she wants. Doesn't need to tell us why aside from her OP.