Trial run - stopping the logging

5th July 2015

I've decided to take a logging break (I need to see if I can go it alone now) and will report back with my findings in 4 weeks.
During some of that time I'll be on holiday (cruising Scandinavia and Russia whoop *\o/*)

I've been successfully maintaining my goal range for approx a year and I feel ready to stop logging my foods as I'm a mindful eater anyway.

Wish me luck!

I'll report back beginning of August :-D

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Good luck, and enjoy the vacation!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Good luck!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    I think this is an awesome idea, glgl!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Enjoy your cruise! If you have been maintaining for a year you will do fine not logging.
    Just remember you will probably gain about 5 lb water weight on the cruise. It will be gone about 10 days after you return home to your usual routine.

Cheers, h.

(Just cruised and travelled for 3 month and only gained 2 lb once i had list the water. I never worried about eating - my body knew my portion sizes and wasn't letting me over eat)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Have a fab holiday
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited July 2015
    @middlehaitch Thanks, but we've done several cruises and since I joined MFP I haven't gained more than a few pounds which have disappeared within a few weeks as its mostly sodium. We walk loads on holidays in general and I don't eat the abundance of breads/bakery items they have on offer - learned the hard way a few years back when I gained 6lbs eating everything in sight! I wouldn't do that again as it took me 2 months to get that off - I lose weight extremely slowly.

And well done on being away so long and hardly gaining at all :smile:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    You'll do just fine on Vacation without logging. You already have good eating habits and attitude that it will take to do it. Relax and have a nice time on your Cruise. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited July 2015
    Day 2

It's strange after 3 years of logging my meals every day to not do that now ...mentally though I'm still totting cals, but i feel that's sensible :smile: the aim is to keep a slight deficit, around 2000 gross cals keeps me right, on vacation there won't be a deficit, I reckon I'll average 2500 cals most days but hey I'll cut myself some slack, it's only for 2 weeks and the food will be awesome...I can cut on my return. (We walk loads and Fitbit will be giving me 2500+ TDEE for high steps days which are pretty standard for us - anything over 23k)

3 more sleeps til the hols..... :smiley:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited July 2015
    How do you possibly walk that much every day? I just got back from a vacation and did walk 12 miles/day - 25000 steps. But that was hours and hours and hours of walking. Regular straight walking is 3.5 miles/hour. When I'm really booking for my after dinner stroll it's 4 mph.

On the other hand, pace varies. My husband and I walk together. It ticks me off because he gets solidly 40% more steps than I do on the same walk. I walk more smoothly and also have a longer stride. I have always doubted he actually burns more calories.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Have a great vacation.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited July 2015
    @nxd10 I run for 60 -70 mins before work = 12-13k
    after work hubby and I walk = 4k
    the rest is me at work and doing stuff around the house. I'm just pretty active in general :smile:
    Ps I'm short and when hubby and I walk together I do alot more steps than him as I trot along to keep up with him lol..for my 4000 steps he gets about 3200 with his long stride.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited July 2015
    My highest steps day on holidays was 27k walking around Copenhagen for about 6 hrs, some leisurely some nicely paced/strolling

Average steps on hols = 17k

My brisk walking speed is 4mph according to mapmyfitness :smile:

The weigh in won't happen until Monday to give me a few days to get rid of the sodium. ..I'm feeling slim though, clothes fitting the same etc - I was fairly careful with my food choices whilst away.

Had the best time away with perhaps the best itinerary yet :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've maintained for over two years without logging...so long as you are mindful and maintain healthful habits, it's really pretty easy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @cwolfman13 you've done great :smile: and so far, so good for me too :smile:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I've stopped logging for over a week now. cwolfman13 is right - it's been easier than I expected, because I've developed a pretty reliable structure for eating (I don't like the word "rules", but I guess that's what they are really), which works for me.

I'll still weigh myself every day though - it's my first line of defense in maintaining my healthy habits.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @dopeysmelly good for you :smile: weigh ins are the best way to keep an eye that all is well .. wishing you continued success :smile:
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    YOu will need to start logging again...someday lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited July 2015
    @kellygirl5538 I prefer to be optimistic and say no I don't think I will - I know not everyone can do it but I'm actually doing great, I weighed in after hols and am still 1lb within goal range limit, I gained 3lbs and most of that will be sodium as its early days. I have a 5lb +/- goal range so I feel I did not bad at all considering I had two weeks of unlimited food, it shows I can practice mindful eating well :smiley:
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    @kellygirl5538 I prefer to be optimistic and say no I don't think I will - I know not everyone can do it but I'm actually doing great, I weighed in after hols and am still 1lb within goal range limit, I gained 3lbs and most of that will be sodium as its early days. I have a 5lb +/- goal range so I feel I did not bad at all considering I had two weeks of unlimited food, it shows I can practice mindful eating well :smiley:

Over a long period of time you will. Get back with me in a year without logging.