Quitting smoking

Options
13»

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker for 20 years. I finally quit about 6 years ago. Instead of going completely cold turkey I told myself I could have 1 cigarette each evening before bed. Every time I'd crave one during the day I'd jut remind myself I could have that one later and think about how good it would taste. It was funny but after maybe 3 weeks I was able to quit the evening cigarette as well. I did change up my evening routine and started going to bed around 10 instead of midnight so I had less time to crave in the evenings. Haven't missed them since and fortunately they smell horrible to me now. Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    A lot if advice here. If you need a quit smoking aid, then do it. It will save you some stress. Quiting smoking is equivalent to kicking a heroin addiction. I enjoy my personal vapor and get a little miffed when people equate it to smoking

Not even close.
    before you say the statement is wrong. Do a little research its widely known for decades in the medical profession

No, I'm sorry, it isn't. The only reason smoking is so difficult to quit (besides the fact that nicotine is addictive) is because smoking is legal and people don't have to hide it or break the law to do it.
    The physicality of the addiction of nicotine isn't even close to that of heroin.

I believe I said quiting smoking ... I never said the habits are the same. Both are a chemical addiction. If smoking was so easy to quit why are millions if people still smoking. Why do some need a drug to help the process? Do you think it all comes down to will power ? No. There is a chemical dependency

for those trying to quit don't feel bad if you can not do it cold turkey. Don't let someone shame you either for using an aid . do what makes it easier for you.

shortcdngirl wrote: »
    Quiting smoking is equivalent to kicking a heroin addiction.

here's your exact quote.... and see my bolded statement above. I am a former smoker myself, and also a respiratory therapist who's counseled hundreds of smokers for smoking cessation. Of course it's difficult. Before you get too upset, go back and read the entire thread.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A lot if advice here. If you need a quit smoking aid, then do it. It will save you some stress. Quiting smoking is equivalent to kicking a heroin addiction. I enjoy my personal vapor and get a little miffed when people equate it to smoking

Not even close.
    before you say the statement is wrong. Do a little research its widely known for decades in the medical profession

@shortcdngirl I suggest you do the same before making an insulting and quite ignorant comment that tries to compare nicotine to heroin. Nicotine is nowhere close to being as addictive as heroin. The medical community does not believe that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, either.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also,because its legal, that's why its hard to quit ? Say that to anyone who has been a serious smoker, where it takes over your life and let alone your wallet. Drinking is legal, so people who are alcoholics drink more because its legal? I am having a hard time understanding your logic :/

Cigarettes are cheap compared to other substances. They are also on every street corner. That's why it's hard to quit- because the accessibility to cigarettes is extremely convenient. It is hard to quit anything when there are negative reinforcements all around you.

• elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i quit last year using an e cig.

easy peasy.

Do you still use the e cig?

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    @midpath quitting smoking is hard. I couldn't imagine doing it without a metric ton of pistachios, which is what I used to keep my hands busy. I used Wellbutrin, and this amazing thing called EZ Quit. It has no nicotine, but does have mint in it to flavor the air you draw through it.

I would caution on the ecig route, if you are using juice with nicotine. If you're taking in nicotine, you're still getting some of the bad stuff from smoking. It is absolutely harm reduction versus smoking, but nicotine plays havoc with blood pressure, blood flow, and cardiovascular health.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Heroin V cigarettes... They both have a strong mental hold on the user. But giving up cigarettes is a bit easier as you don't get the pain,sweats and skin crawls etc etc that comes along with heroin withdrawal. However both come with the mental hell.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Not even close.

@shortcdngirl I suggest you do the same before making an insulting and quite ignorant comment that tries to compare nicotine to heroin. Nicotine is nowhere close to being as addictive as heroin. The medical community does not believe that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, either.

See what I said. Quiting smoking. I never compared nicotne with heroin. Wow serious over reaction on your part. You are being confrontational with me for no reason. So I will say it again for years its been said that quiting smoking is harder than kicking heroin. There is a lot more in a cigarette than nicotine and that's is the least harmful lol