Testing myself...

Options
I'm going on vacation in less than a week and have decided that while I am away, I will not be tracking my calories. I have been tracking for a few months now and I want to see if I can make healthier food choices without the help of MFP. As easy as it has been using MFP, I realize that there will be circumstances in life that will force you to make decisions without help, and I will need to have the willpower to make those choices on my own.

I am going to an all-inclusive resort with all you can eat & drink. This will be a true test as most people will mindlessly eat while on vacation simply because they can. I need to make conscious decisions as to what I am allowing into my mouth and track portion sizes...

The plan:

- Weigh myself the morning before I leave.
- Pack gym gear and make sure I locate the resort gym (training for a 5K run, so I'm planning to continue my training while I'm away)
- Eat only when hungry and choose healthier food options - more veggies and protein, less carbs
- Make sure to stay hydrated
- Weigh myself when I return

Wish me luck!

Replies

• shelleyisworking2befit
    Options
    Good Luck! :) Sounds like you have a great plan!
    Let us know how it works out for you when you return.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!! and have fun on vacation!
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    You can do this- great plan! :wink:
  • LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! <3
  • Flwrsme
    Flwrsme Posts: 39
    Options
    Going in with that great mindset is awesome. Your right, its a lifestyle change and youve learned to make better choices. Good for you. And make sure you relax and enjoy that vacation of yours. :)
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are going to do great! Good luck with everything and have a safe trip!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself! Remember to eat foods because it's your choice! and enjoy enjoy!!

If you have been successful with MFP before vacation any weight you might gain on vacation won't last very long on you after you get home!!
  • Angelamu7
    Angelamu7 Posts: 58
    Options
    Looks and sounds like a great plan...hope you can stick too it. Have fun!
  • sfmathews
    sfmathews Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your mindset is half the battle. I bet you do great!
  • Ekeras
    Ekeras Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm back from vacation and just thought I'd update you on my status!

I followed my plan as best as I could. I weighed myself before I left, I worked out 3 times while I was away, and did plenty of walking, I tried to eat as healthy as I could (I skipped carbs at dinner and just had protein and veggies, I tried to limit myself to one plate only, no going back for seconds), still I gained 5 pounds when I jumped on the scale.

It's ok though. I'm not going to cry about it. I had a wonderful vacation and did the best that I could given the food that they serve and the lifestyle that you have while vacationing. I'm confident that the 5 lbs will shed quickly and I can resume my dieting now that I'm home!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation tomorrow myself. Thank you for posting this topic. I love your positive attitude. I have been a little anxious about eating/exercising while on vacation. I plan on doing my best but will try not to stress about it.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Great job! On my vacation last week, I gained a bit more then that. You must have been much more careful then I was.

(for me, it was almost 13 lbs, but who's counting :sad: )