Eating the same things every day

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
...is it a bad thing?

My daily eating is often very similar with minimal variation. The dinner meal and lunch meal vary on a rotating schedule of what we have in the house (stir fry with chicken or pork or almonds & brown rice, lentil burgers, falafel's & brown rice, pasta and meatballs) and lunch is generally leftovers from what we had yesterday or the day before.

But I've been having the exact same thing for breakfast & after-dinner snack. Toast with peanut butter & jam, a cup or two of tea. Greek yogurt with blueberries.

If I'm eating something every day, does it create a sort of deficiency or anything? I am working on eating more protein (to meet the mfp guidelines), and the greek yogurt is the only thing I've found I can eat to increase it. But I'm worried that maybe eating the same meal & snack every day could be a problem? idk?

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm also someone who is happy to eat pretty much the same thing every day. Same breakfast (multi-grain waffle with almond butter) every weekday morning, an avocado nearly every day. Eating a reasonably balanced diet doesn't require much day-to-day variety. I have to make an effort to get a Vitamin A source every couple of days, but it's fat-soluble, so every couple of days is sufficient.

If you feel the need for more protein, cut back on the starch filler (rice, pasta, anything grain-like in the lentil burgers) and have more of the protein-dense portions of the meal (chicken / pork / meatballs / legumes).
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm sure as time goes on you will venture out.If you are filling your diet with foods that are nutritional then you are doing better than a lot of calorie counters out there. However, there are people out there that eat the same things for the rest of their life!
  • kiela64
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    I'm also someone who is happy to eat pretty much the same thing every day. Same breakfast (multi-grain waffle with almond butter) every weekday morning, an avocado nearly every day. Eating a reasonably balanced diet doesn't require much day-to-day variety. I have to make an effort to get a Vitamin A source every couple of days, but it's fat-soluble, so every couple of days is sufficient.

If you feel the need for more protein, cut back on the starch filler (rice, pasta, anything grain-like in the lentil burgers) and have more of the protein-dense portions of the meal (chicken / pork / meatballs / legumes).

Okay, I guess this isn't a big problem, haha :) thanks!!

There's a limited amount per person, unfortunately, especially so when it comes to meat. But I am working on reducing the rice! I just need to get the increase in protein another way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to get all the vitamins and minerals you need, it is best to eat a variety of fruits, veggies, meat and fish.

But if it's all about the weight loss, you could eat the same food every single day and still lose weight if you kept your calories as low as they need to be.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you want to get all the vitamins and minerals you need, it is best to eat a variety of fruits, veggies, meat and fish.

But if it's all about the weight loss, you could eat the same food every single day and still lose weight if you kept your calories as low as they need to be.

Yep, I had a feeling. I don't usually eat fish. The veggies are usually limited to carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli. Though I've really been craving zucchini lately, so I'm thinking I might just buy some myself (no one else likes it, sadly. spinach either). For fruit, we generally have apples in the house and I get frozen blueberries, cherries, and mangoes (but my dietician said to not eat so much of the mangoes because they're mostly sugar and not as many nutrients as the other fruit).
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Only blood work will tell you if you are deficient in vitamins. You should be fine but, can't say for sure.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with that.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »

Interesting. I have a skin condition on my arms that is supposedly vitamin a deficiency. Do you use it for skin? I feel like i have tried getting more vitamin a in my diet to no result.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eating mostly the same main meals everyday is o.k. Every few weeks you probably makes some adjustments or go out to eat once in a while anyway. Mix up your days with some different veggies once or twice a week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Yep, I had a feeling. I don't usually eat fish. The veggies are usually limited to carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli. Though I've really been craving zucchini lately, so I'm thinking I might just buy some myself (no one else likes it, sadly. spinach either). For fruit, we generally have apples in the house and I get frozen blueberries, cherries, and mangoes (but my dietician said to not eat so much of the mangoes because they're mostly sugar and not as many nutrients as the other fruit).
    Tuna is my only fish, lol.

I get frozen berries, too. If you like peaches, they've been good this year.

Talk all of this over with the dietitian next time you're in. They'll set you on the right path. :)
  • kiela64
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Tuna is my only fish, lol.

I get frozen berries, too. If you like peaches, they've been good this year.

Talk all of this over with the dietitian next time you're in. They'll set you on the right path. :)

Yeah I will, for sure. Thanks!!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Nobody else in my family eats similar to me, and most food I that get have multiple portions in them. I hate wasting food, so my day-to-day diet tends to be fairly similar between grocery trips.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Nah, I eat pretty much the same things, I just change like fruits due to season and stuff,but i love my basics
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Same here....I eat almost the same thing every day. Dinners are changed up daily, but it is usually the same meals each week and breakfast, snacks, and lunch are the same.
  • chubalicious1
    chubalicious1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same meals, I've lost weight and feel good so I'm sticking with it for now.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods too. Mostly because I try to eat things i know will keep me full. I've eaten the same type salad since August and still love it!! Everyday!! I get all my veggies in
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Me too! I eat almost the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day. Do you like cottage cheese? That would help you out with protein. Eggs, too. I sometimes boil up a whole dozen and take two with me to work each morning until they are gone.