Eating enough

Options
I am currently in another forum debate with somebody who insists that I am not eating enough. I am 5'9", eat 1500 calories a day and have a sedentary lifestyle. I walk every morning and evening and do high impact aerobics 3x a week. She insists on calling this "extreme dieting" and suggests 2000-2500 calories a day instead which I would never be able to eat. Why are people so convinced that they're right about everyone elses body when they are not a nutritionist?

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for YOU! Even when I have high calorie burning workouts, I couldn't ever get to 2000-2500 calories/day....well, I could...but it wouldn't be by eating healthy foods. Unless you're constantly starving, I certainly wouldn't say it's extreme dieting.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    I agree. Do what works for you. I workout hard almost every day and couldn't eat back all those calories. When I try to, I end up eating unhealthy and I feel bloated and gain weight. If you're not hungry, have energy and feel healthy, then you're ok. Listen to your body
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Any trainer will tell you to maintain between 1300-1500 cals with a sedentary lifestyle so I would assume you're eating enough. If you're working out more than normal or burning a lot of calories during your workouts, you may need to up the amount of calories you're eating on those days to around 1600-1800. Extra protein, healthy fats and fibers on those days would be ideal.

I wouldn't worry about what one person says. You know your body and what works and doesn't work for you. People need to remember we're all different and while some things may work for them, they may not work for others. Keep up the good work and focus on you, not anyone else. Except those who are encouraging!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you weigh, your muscle mass, and your age.
  • heathermomofthree
    heathermomofthree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know I had stopped seeing results so I ate my calories and I started to lose. Not sure if it is right but it worked for me. Sometimes I eat the wrong things actually most of the time.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am currently in another forum debate with somebody who insists that I am not eating enough. I am 5'9", eat 1500 calories a day and have a sedentary lifestyle. I walk every morning and evening and do high impact aerobics 3x a week. She insists on calling this "extreme dieting" and suggests 2000-2500 calories a day instead which I would never be able to eat. Why are people so convinced that they're right about everyone elses body when they are not a nutritionist?

Your last sentence is my biggest problem with some people on this forum!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Most women are NOT recommended to eat 2000-2500 calories. My doctors have me at a 1200 calorie diet, so your 1500 calories sounds healthy and fine. :)