Foods/Drinks that help you curb your appetite?

Options
Ellitamaria
Ellitamaria Posts: 34 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just getting back into MFP and I never realized how much coffee helps me! Holds back the 'mouth hungry'. I've heard yogurt helps people, but I can never eat it. Grosses me out too much... maybe there is a tier list of flavors? Anyway back to the point: What helps you from getting 'mouth hungry' and curbs you to last longer in between meals?
BTW please add me, looking for friends! I get on everyday! :smiley:

Replies

• MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Water. Green Tea. Small snacks of carrots/string cheese/almonds/Quest Bar.... But I mainly do with my water and green tea :smile:
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    Green tea is so relaxing! I haven't had it in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like chicken. Perdue Short Cuts fajita style. I get 71g (which I always round up to 75) in a bowl with a fork for 90 calories. 18g of protein. For me it fills the gap until real meal time.

If I need something sweet a Quest bar. But that has almost twice as many calories. It fills me up longer though.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find coffee is great for staving off hunger too! I also like drinking diet fizzy drinks, and chewing gum.
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    Kexessa: Fajita style chicken! YUM! I've never heard of a 'quest' bar before... hmm...
    Nooblet: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have been loving New England coffee
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like coffee with heavy cream or coconut cream (from a can). Coffee just makes me happy and the fats in the cream seem to lower my appetite enough that I forget about lunch until 2 or 3:00, which works for me as I prefer to eat a larger portion of my calories later in the day.

Chia tea with cream or coconut cream are yummy too, it just isn't coffee. ;)
  • devinnn0728
    devinnn0728 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with the quest bar. I like the chocolate chip cookie dough one put in the microwave for 20 seconds...tastes like the real thing!
  • jdeepsea
    jdeepsea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fruit and coffee (black, no milk, no sugar). Some fruit will make you reach your daily calorie cpunt faster, so be careful :)
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Coffee just makes me happy and the fats in the cream seem to lower my appetite enough that I forget about lunch until 2 or 3:00, which works for me as I prefer to eat a larger portion of my calories later in the day.
    I couldn't agree anymore! I use almond milk with coffee
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    Quest bars are a protein bar... In my opinion, the BEST protein bar out there! They taste delicious and have a bunch of different flavors. Look up Quest Nutrition. Pretty good :smiley:
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    jdeepsea wrote: »
    Fruit and coffee (black, no milk, no sugar). Some fruit will make you reach your daily calorie cpunt faster, so be careful :)

This is really great advice! Thank you! I tend to stick with bananas and grapes
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    MrsSchimmy wrote: »
    Quest bars are a protein bar... In my opinion, the BEST protein bar out there! They taste delicious and have a bunch of different flavors. Look up Quest Nutrition. Pretty good :smiley:
    I looked up Quest and wow! They really do look awesome! The only bars I've ever tried were Cliff bars and they were alright.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I looked up Quest and wow! They really do look awesome! The only bars I've ever tried were Cliff bars and they were alright.

Give Quest bars a try. If you try a few individual ones and like the flavors you can get boxes of 12 of them from Amazon for $25. The thing with Quest bars are to most people they taste better, but they have up to 70 less calories, twice as much protein and more than twice as much fiber than a Cliff bar. Given the benefits Quest are a better deal. They can also double as dessert after 10 seconds in the microwave :)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nothing for me. Coffee doesn't do much and if anything, it makes me hungrier... If I drink green tea on an empty stomach I'll get nauseous until I eat something, so it doesn't work either.

I wish there was some magical thing that would keep my hunger in check but I haven't found it yet. *maybe* a bag of lettuce with a serving of goal cheese with some vinegar would help, but that's still 100 calories.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Nothing for me. Coffee doesn't do much and if anything, it makes me hungrier... If I drink green tea on an empty stomach I'll get nauseous until I eat something, so it doesn't work either.

I wish there was some magical thing that would keep my hunger in check but I haven't found it yet. *maybe* a bag of lettuce with a serving of goal cheese with some vinegar would help, but that's still 100 calories.

Have you tried just drinking water?
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

Give Quest bars a try. If you try a few individual ones and like the flavors you can get boxes of 12 of them from Amazon for $25. The thing with Quest bars are to most people they taste better, but they have up to 70 less calories, twice as much protein and more than twice as much fiber than a Cliff bar. Given the benefits Quest are a better deal. They can also double as dessert after 10 seconds in the microwave :)

Thanks Kex! :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna get slapped on the back of the head for mentioning this.... But 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar mixed with water before a meal makes me eat less for some reason.
    I had a near empty bottle of acv in my pantry which I forgot about. I was going to throw it away, but thought I may as well finish it.
    I was not expecting to see or feel any changes, as I don't believe in the magical weight loss properties of it. But like I said, it reduced my hunger significantly and my after dinner chocolate craving has greatly diminished too.
  • Ellitamaria
    Options
    I've heard about the apple cider vinegar helps with regularity, has it for you?
    I'm gonna get slapped on the back of the head for mentioning this.... But 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar mixed with water before a meal makes me eat less for some reason.
    I had a near empty bottle of acv in my pantry which I forgot about. I was going to throw it away, but thought I may as well finish it.
    I was not expecting to see or feel any changes, as I don't believe in the magical weight loss properties of it. But like I said, it reduced my hunger significantly and my after dinner chocolate craving has greatly diminished too.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Now that you mention it, I usually need ALOT of fibre on a daily basis to keep me regular, and the last few days have been woefully low! But I've had no problems going everyday.
    I didn't make the connection to the acv until you mentioned it...

• Ellitamaria
    Options

Now that you mention it, I usually need ALOT of fibre on a daily basis to keep me regular, and the last few days have been woefully low! But I've had no problems going everyday.
    I didn't make the connection to the acv until you mentioned it...

Glad I could help haha!